Get Rid of Mosquitoes

samoya

Jul 7, 2006
I noticed in this thread that there are a lot of misconceptions regarding mosquitoes and how to get rid of them. I thought I'd clear some stuff up, just in case people are too lazy to read the article I wrote about mosquito control by offering you a page on wikipedia about mosquito control. It's quite comprehensive, and deals with a lot of questions I attempted to answer in a response to the thread I mentioned above. Mosquitoes will not be stopped by changing your diet or showering less, drinking more or smoking. In fact, the best way to stop mosquitoes from biting you is to keep a fan running on you when you're stationary. A light breeze does a number on mosquitoes since they're so light, making it difficult for them to navigate their way to your tasty epidermal layers.

I's from Minnersota, and we knows our musky-toes. The best repellent money can buy is Skin-so-Soft. It's not full of DEET, and it keeps your skin smooth and sunburn free at the same time. Just avoid the temptation to go swimming after you put it on and you should be fine for an evening.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Froggy is right. The mosquitos just go the the lee side of the fan and pick at you.

Skin so soft® works for some people, but not all report success.

Different things work for different people. There is no "gospel" on how to keep them away.

Of course, in my particular case, being onery, eating a lot of garlic and wearing long pants, socks and shoes and sleeved, collared shirts helps....

HB :D:D

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
SSS SSSkeptic

Consumer Reports, to which I cant link cause unlike Samoya Im helpless with this stuff, had an article a month or so ago, in which they trashed SSS.

Trust me, I got not love for DEET. I want it nowhere near me. Im fighting off the melanoma as it is. But the damn buggers get me every evening and I end up using OFF Woodsmen or whatever its called, 90% DEET.

Is SSS the real deal?

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Mosquitos here in the DR are nothing compared to those in the Florida swamps or in the Bahamas. The only thing I've found effective is Deep Woods Off or Cutters Sportsman repellant. They contain deet as does other brands that are probably effective also. And here on the veranda of our restaurant, we burn Baygon spirals (remember Pic in the states?) which when placed upwind, keeps the 'skeeters at bay. The only thing SSS does is make you smell like a French whore. I've tried it and other than smelling "prissy" and feeling like a greased pig with ultra-soft skin, it didn't begin to stop the bloodsuckers.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a local repellant called "Deporte" that works pretty good. Don't put it on and touch anything plastic, however!!
I guage the effectiveness of any repelland by what they do for me and mine at Punta Rucia. Deporte works, so does OFF.
SSS does the job for a while, but you gotta agree with Andy B....you do smell rather odd!!

Spirals are also effective....

I will take a few with me this weekend and issue an HB Mosquito Advisory next week.

HB :p:p

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I's from Minnersota, and we knows our musky-toes. The best repellent money can buy is Skin-so-Soft. It's not full of DEET, and it keeps your skin smooth and sunburn free at the same time. Just avoid the temptation to go swimming after you put it on and you should be fine for an evening.

"I's from Minnersota" too, and the above is BS!!! Skin-so-Soft is as worthless as tits on a boar. DEET is by far and away the most effective mosquito repellent, and from what I've read any health issues are way over stated, far less that being bitten by a disease caring mosquito.

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
The only thing that has worked for me is to constantly carry a can of RAID (or Baygon) for flying insects wherever I go. Three of four short blasts in the area of your feet will keep the mosquitoes at bay for about 10 minutes.