Honest opinions sought, second appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
My first attempt completely bombed. Perhaps I was too terse and put people off? Or maybe, since my questions centered on safety, the old adage, " If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". applies?

This site is a superlative source of information, and is so well run and organized, that I thought someone would be willing to share advice or real time info/advice concerning the idea of traveling alone to Monti Christi in sept. and exploring its marine environment. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I visited the DR for the first time in March. I returned in May. In those trips I traveled from Santo Domingo to Puerta Plata and visited Luperon, Sosua and Monti Christi. I had a blast and never felt unsafe. However, I am a realist. Just a scan of DR1 headlines reveal many reasons to be cautious. I've circled Jamaica during a three week backpacking trip and crisscrossed Mexico by car, among other travels, and understand the value of the boyscout motto, " Be Prepared". Hell, I even went into a place called, "The Bar" ( handpainted sign on block building) in Wewahitchka, Florida with a friend of mine who is a Mexican national and despite the two confederate flags with the "souths gonna rise again" banners, managed to live to tell about it.

Recently, while surfing the web, I came across an article that described Haitians in the Monti Christi area raiding keys in Sieta Hermanos to kill nesting boobies ( yea, I know. Har har ) and steal eggs. It also made mention of some Dominican fishing boats being preyed upon.

Is anyone willing to share any real time information on precautions suggested in taking such a trip. My contacts at the hotel and marina in Monti Christi are being rather vague. I'm prepared to wing it but seek the collective wisdom. Many thanks.

G

gary short

My views about safety are the same as yours. I've been around the north coast a bit and never had a problem and never felt intimidated, however, I would wait for sage advice from one of the yokels.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I imagine using the same common sense you use at home would apply. You seem intelligent and well traveled enough to decide what is safe and what isn't.
Is your question regarding safety around Haitianos? Seems to be that way.
Don't know where you are from but if I read the local reports from say, Detroit, I wouldn't go there either without caution.
Use your noggin and enjoy.

May 12, 2005
Lift alot of weights, put on some size and walk around looking a little crazy and everyone will leave you alone. ja ja ja ja ja

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you are going to go to Monte Cristi, you'll have to ask the local fishermen or boat owners about such a trip. Haitians are predators of the boobie eggs, but so are Dominicans. There is some sharp competition between the two groups, so local information will be much more precise than anything we can tellyou..

HB :D:D

MidnightPrince69

Jun 11, 2006
Are the boobies endangered there?

If there are any animal lovers (advocates) out there who are in the DR, arounf Sousa, POP, or Carabrete, please PM me, I'm arriving in the DR from August 11th to the 18th. Leaving the 18th....so I basically have six days. ;)

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
Thanks for the input. Safety is relative, of course. I wouldn't hesitate to visit Detroit, if I had a reason to go there, but I may be hesitant to venture into certain areas of Detroit. I'm 6' 3", 205 and look alittle crazy at times;)

Perhaps I am biased but it seems to me that spending time offshore in this area might present a particular vunerability; to what degree is what I am trying to determine. Never dealt with pirates and would rather not. I'm commited to going and will take Hillbillys advice to garner information when I get there.

Any anglers wishing to join the adventure?

Regards,
Sollie

Status
Not open for further replies.