Sosua and Cabarete for xmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1kk1

Aug 10, 2006
Hi, a friend and I (2 girls) are thinking of coming to one of the above for xmas for beautiful beaches, some nightlife (although not full-on every night) and to soak up the culture but we've been told we are going to get bored if we come for 2 weeks! I'm sure thats not true, we were looking at Boca Chica before reading some reviews that its a bit seedy so can anybody advise me on where best to go for what we are looking for?

thnxs!
Nikki

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Hi Nikki,

Welcome to DR1, you've come to the right place for some good advice. I cant comment on Boca Chica as ive never been there (although I have read the same as you) there are people on here from that neck of the woods so they can pass comment.
Ive spent time in Sosua and I think its a great place. If you were going to go to an ai and spend the 2 weeks just in there im sure you would go stir crazy, but if you are intending to get out and about and see a bit of the place 2 weeks wont be long enough and as soon as your back you'll be planning your next trip! There are plenty of places to get out and visit, dont think that you have to book excursions through your tour operator, there are many good local tour agencies.
Have a read through some of the trip reports and ask questions people are very helpful on here.

nic

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi, a friend and I (2 girls) are thinking of coming to one of the above for xmas for beautiful beaches, some nightlife (although not full-on every night) and to soak up the culture but we've been told we are going to get bored if we come for 2 weeks! I'm sure thats not true, we were looking at Boca Chica before reading some reviews that its a bit seedy so can anybody advise me on where best to go for what we are looking for?

thnxs!
Nikki
Cabarete and/or Sosua would be considered by most as better choices than Boca Chica.
There's not a chance of getting bored, unless you are a boring person. (this in no way reflects my opinion of you or your friend. It's is an observation I have made throughout my life, that those who have managed to find a way of being bored when others aren't, are boring people).
Cabarete and Sosua are 10 minutes apart (driving) and are quite different.
You have ample time of course to research which you might prefer, even if you are purchasing your tickets now, as they are both accessed by the POP airport, which is 10 minutes from Sosua, and another 10 to Cabarete.
Cabarete is a pretty town, in that it's more or less a 1 street town, that is lined with shops and restaurants, along the highway, and the backside is right on a beach that averages 100 feet of sand to the water.
At night, you can walk along there and choose where you would like to dine and party.
It has one of those tropical dream looks, as they string lights around palm trees, and it makes a soft glow, enough to light up your path, yet dark enough to clearly see the ocean.
The beach extends as far as the eye can see in both directions.
Cabarete's beach faces into the East, from where both the breeze and water currents come from, so it makes for an ideal windsurfing beach, and is widely known throughout the world as being one of the best.
The downside to that is that the water churns up the sand near the edge, so you have to go a certain distance to get into the clear water, at which point you may have windsurfers coming over the top of your head.
Of course, there are windsurfing hours, so there are times of the day when you can freely swim out as far as you like.

Sosua is much bigger than Cabarete and is more like a small town in appearance and layout.
There are 5 good swimming beaches, some facing into the North, and some into the West, which makes for less waves and easier swimming.
The main Sosua Bay beach in it's own way, is as pretty as Cabarete's beach.
Sosua is generally 25% to 50% cheaper for food and accommodations.

Both are excellent choices, so it may come down to the following factors.
If budget is a concern, then Sosua is the place to be.
There is a different ambience, as well.
As mentioned above, Cabarete is a windsurfing town (there is also kitesurfing at the western end of Cabarete, towards Sosua, and normal surfing halfway between the two), so if you are sporty types, and would like to mingle with other young sporty tourists, Cabarete would be your best bet.
Sosua has more of an intermingling aspect to it, where the tourists are more likely to mingle with the locals when they go out to party at night time.
They are so close to each other (6 miles apart) that travel to and fro is easy, cheap and fast.
You would average 15 minutes to get from one to the other on the public transport system, at a cost of less than 1 US dollar.
A lot of independant travelers will stay in Sosua hotels and visit Cabarete several times, either for the day, or for the evening activities.
The economic advantages of doing this are fairly substantial.
The main complaint about Cabarete is that it's so small that you can't sneeze without everyone knowing, although it has grown a lot in the last few years, and doesn't quite deserve that reputation.
Sosua offers a unique feature, as there is a large English speaking expat community, so if that sounds interesting to you, it may help in deciding which you would prefer.
If you do ever manage to get bored while you are in either of the two towns, let us know and we'll give you a long list of things to do that only Superman could get through in two weeks.

blitz

Apr 3, 2006
Wow Rocky... I have read the names Sosua and Cabarete so much on here, and their proximity lead me to kind of blend the two into one. You paint a very clear picture of the differences between the two. I had planned on visiting one or the other on my next DR trip, and with that insight, my choice is clear!

Thank you!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Wow Rocky... I have read the names Sosua and Cabarete so much on here, and their proximity lead me to kind of blend the two into one. You paint a very clear picture of the differences between the two. I had planned on visiting one or the other on my next DR trip, and with that insight, my choice is clear!

Thank you!
Glad that it helps.
There's even more to it, but my fingers were getting sore.
So. which one will you be going to?

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003

Thank you!

Visit both, at least make one of them a day trip. They are only about 10 miles apart, easy trip either way on public transport.

blitz

Apr 3, 2006
I'd have to take your suggestion, stay in Sosua (and of course try your famous wings) and travel to Cabarete for a couple of day trips. I'm intrigued by kiteboarding and of course the draw of like-minded individuals in Cabarete, but I enjoy emerging myself in culture and hopping on a gua gua to get between the two (at least during the day) is absolutely fine by me!! I stayed in Playa Dorada in March, and it wasn't bad, but wasn't very cultured or what I was after. It wasn't my choice though, and the trip was free.. so I am certainly not complaining.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'd have to take your suggestion, stay in Sosua (and of course try your famous wings)
Our wings are nothing to write home about.The ribs are.
and travel to Cabarete for a couple of day trips.
That's the way to do it.
You can get to Cabarete in a flash.
I'm intrigued by kiteboarding and of course the draw of like-minded individuals in Cabarete,
You can get out of the public car a bit before Cabarete for the kitesurfing.
You'll see them up in the air to your left.
but I enjoy emerging myself in culture and hopping on a gua gua to get between the two (at least during the day) is absolutely fine by me!!
The public cars are better and safer.
I stayed in Playa Dorada in March, and it wasn't bad, but wasn't very cultured or what I was after. It wasn't my choice though, and the trip was free.. so I am certainly not complaining.
You never look a gift horse in the mouth.

blitz

Apr 3, 2006
I totally meant ribs, but typed wings... ooops!

and, thanks for the kiteboarding tip!

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
you will be anything but bored. theres tons of places to explore and see. if you want to experience some more local culture definitely walk from Sosua into Charamicos during the daytime. Just walk down the main beach right to the end and up the cement stairs. I would suggest doing this in the daytime to really see everything and be able to take photos.

If any of you speak spanish your options will be limitless and you could see a lot of the island in 2 weeks.

n1kk1

Aug 10, 2006
wow thanks everyone have been away and come back to some great tips here (especially you Rocky, ever thought of writing a DR guide!) and it's certainly helped me make up my mind! I'm more of a culture vulture than a sports bird (don't think going to the gym, unwillingly, counts as being sporty!) then I think Sousa is definately the place to be with a few day/night trips to Cabarete to add to the adventure.

please keep the suggestions flying in though for places to visit although am doing my research also so may come back with a few questions

There is one thing Id like to ask actually I know AIs are frowned upon but as ive never stayed in one and checking out the holidays on offer they do seem to work out cheaper... are they really all that bad?! I mean as long as you just use it as a base and for your 'free' alcohol and food (although obv not for the food every night) doesn't it work out more cost effective.. is it the accomodation, food/drink or type of people who stay there that should be avoided..

thanks again!

nikx

n1kk1

Aug 10, 2006
wow thanks everyone have been away and come back to some great tips here (especially you Rocky, ever thought of writing a DR guide!) and it's certainly helped me make up my mind! I'm more of a culture vulture than a sports bird (don't think going to the gym, unwillingly, counts as being sporty!) then I think Sousa is definately the place to be with a few day/night trips to Cabarete to add to the adventure.

please keep the suggestions flying in though for places to visit although am doing my research also so may come back with a few questions

There is one thing Id like to ask actually I know AIs are frowned upon but as ive never stayed in one and checking out the holidays on offer they do seem to work out cheaper... are they really all that bad?! I mean as long as you just use it as a base and for your 'free' alcohol and food (although obv not for the food every night) doesn't it work out more cost effective.. is it the accomodation, food/drink or type of people who stay there that should be avoided..

thanks again!

nikx

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Some people have pretty strong feelings about AI resorts.
I do not.
I wouldn't want to stay in one in an isolated area where I felt like part of a herd and was pestered by noisy kids and/or a large group of whining tourists.
I have stayed in only 2 in my life.
One was in Africa, as I was getting desperate to find accommodations for the night and it was getting late.
I woke up in an all German crowd, with big chalk boards all over the place, posting the schedules of the daily activities.
Awaiting for my girlfriend to wake up, I thought I might lounge around the pool with a cup of coffee, as it was abandoned and I would have enjoyed the solitude.
As I sat/half layed down, an old fat ugly tourists waddled over quickly to me, trying desperately to explain to me that I was sitiing in his lounge chair and that if I wanted one to go to reception and reserve one for myself.
I couldn't get out of that place fast enough.
On the other hand, I also found a deal like what you are talking about, where the package deal was the same price as the airfare, going to Cuba.
I never actually spent a night there, but I would come back in the morning and have breakfast and a snooze, an occasional swim at the beach, and back out to enjoy the real Cuba.
So it really depends on the circumstances.
I don't want to be isolated with a bunch of newly-weds and nearly-deads way out in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to do but watch the grass grow.
But if the price is the same and I can get out and have fun, why not?
I still had to pay 20 bucks a night for a room in Santiago De Cuba, but I did enjoy the luxury of the resort and benefitted from some fine meals.
I'm not sure that the local AI resorts here will serve you fantastic meals, but if you stay in a place like Casa Marina right in the center of town, you can go out to eat or drink whenever, whatever and wherever you want.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Nikki: I think an AI is a great place to stay for your first visit to a foreign country. Gives you some piece of mind on having a safe place to sleep. Also gives you a place to eat without any hassles of deciding on where you want to go for dinner specially when you are not really familiar with the language (not sure if you know spanish or not). Fellow tourists can be very annoying at times but you can get away from them as you wish be venturing out. As Rocky mentioned Casa Marina would be a great choice of a reasonably priced AI resort. Location is within walking distance of most everything is Sosua. Day trips to Puerto Plata and Cabarete are very easily done from Sosua. Definately won't get bored in two weeks down here. If you are here over xmas you will want to check out Rocky's New Years bash ( I assume it is on again this year) and ring in the new year like you never have before. It is a great experience...Enjoy your trip and your trip planning...Tom

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Hi Nikki,

I stayed in Casa Marina in july, I found it a nice place to stay and spent a few of my days out and most of my nights out! Im going back out in the next few months and I wanted to stay in town but I found the same as you its cheaper to book an ai package so im still debating!
There are a couple of reviews on Casa Marina on here, if your just going to take advantage of the beach a bed for the night and a bit of free booze then you can't really go wrong. If you want to see some pics give me your email and i'll send you some.

nic

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I agree that staying in an AI for the first time is a good idea and with that being said Casa Marina is a good choice because it is central to everything. You can either stay in or walkabout and as already mentioned Cabarate and Puerto Plata are only minutes away. If you have any questions about Casa Marina feel free to ask, that is where we stay whenever we go. Eventually we are going to look for more permanent lodgings once we retire, but for now that is the place for us.

The information that Rocky gave you is really good and right on the money, You can always count on getting good advice an info from him and many others on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.