how to enter with more than 10 000$ ?

nathalie.b

Aug 17, 2006
hello,

In order to buy a land I have to come with 50 000 $, by fly, from france.
How to do it ? is the d?clation simple ? where have I to d?clare ? I'm afraid that the money could be frozen by interpol .

I asked for a bank account there is nearly 3 months ago, but the bank don't have any answer yet from the interpol service. It's normal ?

Thank you to help me, and sorry for my bad english.
Nathalie

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You can always open a bank account in the DR and have the money transfered here. Check what the bank charges for the transfer will be.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Or have the money wired directly to the seller at the time of closing after being sure that everything is in order.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
On your next trip open a DR bank account with Banko Popular and just let them know you need to send money to the account. I suggested this bank as only an example but definitely use a reputable one. You can then use a check from your bank and deposit it or wire the money.

nathalie.b

Aug 17, 2006
I asked for opening an ac**** in Banreserva, but they have to wait for the interpol reply, it's the law, but there is 3 monthes that I'm waiting . If I could open this account it would be simple.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Open an account here

I opened 2 accounts in the DR one in pesoes and one in US dollars..Both with the same bank ...All I had to do was show my passport and bring a letter of reference from the bank I use in the US and they were opened in 10 minutes..Be aware a check will take 45 days to clear..A wire transfer is there in minutes..I don't see why you have Interpol involved in this..Mabye things are different in France..

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Interpole should not be involved

We are also in the process of purchasing. Do not do anything else than advise your bank in France that you will be transferring money to a Dominican account.
Once you get to the DR open an account at a Bank, they will do this within minutes, all they require is your passport and your entry visa. Then proceed to the wire transfer with your bank in France, they will have given you the procedure required.
On top of which you need to be carefull when purchasing land or real estate, you should not deal in cash... Hopefully you will be drawing the papers with a good reputable lawyer. Most of them have accounts in the U.S. where you would transfer the money to, you should ensure that the money is transferred IN TRUST untill the papers are signed and you have the Land Title.
AGAIN' VERY IMPORTANT to deal with a reputable lawyer and he will not ask for cash.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Open the account like everyone is telling you. Don't use Reservas (government bank)...I use Popular and been happy so far. I think you can open an account there without much hassle.

The main thing is NEVER try to bring in all this money in cash. You run a very high risk of losing it

dabl

Apr 23, 2006
I bring with me about 20 000$ and there is no problem at airport Punta Cana.
Just declare at custum and give them some papers about money. I geve them papers that I take tha money from my bank account in my country.
They Ask me to give them some money for bear (Cervesa). And 20$ can help.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
i've traveled with 20m in the past and i have never had a problem. i don't declare b/c i don't trust the dominican government with that information, nor do i trust the money hungry employees working at the airport. for my own safety, i don't disclose that info. if you are concerned about the bulk that money makes, it's not that much. i was actually surprised to see how little space it takes up. i'm very petite and i pulled it off. take on your person, don't leave it in a bag.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Aren´t you coming from France? US$50.000 = €40.000 which are eighty €500 notes.
About the size of a pack of cigarettes.
It might only be the size of a pack of cigarettes, but if you are subject to a random search, it will be confiscated. Good luck getting it back.

Here's a recent story in the DR1 news;
Cash holding couple detained at airport
A couple leaving the country with US$57,317 in cash were arrested by members of the Las Americas International Airport Specialized Security Corps (CESA). The couple had not declared the cash prior to departure, which is a legal requirement. The pair, whose names were not revealed, were planning to travel to San Juan, Puerto Rico. They were taken to the National Drug Control Department to explain the source of the money. They are suspected of violating Law 72-02 on money laundering. The money was detected in hand luggage by the X-ray machine in Migration. Both are engineers and they explained that they had withdrawn the money from a local bank to invest in a house in Puerto Rico. They admitted that they had been wrong in failing to previously declare the money. To recover the money, they will need to present certification of its source.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Interpol

I went back and re-read the OP..Why is there a concern with Interpol? Mabye the money is Dirty..That may be what the worry is all about..Interpol would only be a concern if the origin of the cash would be a problem to prove where it came from...Same as I would not worry about the police looking my way if I had nothing to worry about...Hummmmmmmmm

nathalie.b

Aug 17, 2006
I opened 2 accounts in the DR one in pesoes and one in US dollars..Both with the same bank ...All I had to do was show my passport and bring a letter of reference from the bank I use in the US and they were opened in 10 minutes..Be aware a check will take 45 days to clear..A wire transfer is there in minutes..I don't see why you have Interpol involved in this..Mabye things are different in France..

when did you open those accouts ? Now the law, here in RD, is different : anybody ( foreigner) have to wait that the interpol service agrees for opening an account, and it is the same thing with BancoPopular.

Nothing to see whith France ! If you are from USA or Germany, it's the same;
it's the law in DR.

maybe the lawer of this forum can tell us if this law is new ?

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
I am US citizen and opened an acct all I needed was my passport...and a letter from my bank in the states .....Its called a verification letter. and vuala...It was done in less than an hour!!With banco popular.

sunshine

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Sunshine

I am US citizen and opened an acct all I needed was my passport...and a letter from my bank in the states .....Its called a verification letter. and vuala...It was done in less than an hour!!With banco popular.

sunshine

I gave this exact info 10 posts ago...The OP choses not to believe it or has another problem..Such as the Money itself might be the problem...the poster mentioned Interpol...Mabye she is on their watch list...I never heard of interpol getting involved in opening a bank account...NEVER!!! Unless it's about the origin of the cash...

Last edited: