Roads in POP

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
well, it appears the Road construction in POP has gotten worse and not better. as i sit here and ponder my next trip and can't help but dread the drive from the airport to costambar. sure i can cut off a big chunk by taking the malecon, but then there are my trips to JOse Luis Market that will have to be postponed if the roads don't get fixed soon. all in all, that is small potatoes compared to the reallity that nothing is being done to fix the roads in POP. From what i understand the traffic is horrific and the accidents numbers are growing exponentially. trucks are falling into ditches and cars are driving off the roads. does anyone in POP know what is really go on with the road construction? is it the government? are they not releasing wages?

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Did you really think..........

.........that when they started this project that they would finish it?

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
In July when it was raining like crazy and the roads were flooded out it was unreal driving through. If its gotten worse I can only imagine what its like now. They had a huge gullet dug out in the middle of the road for putting drain pipes in. They were working on such large sections at once it was a horrible job for wheover was organizing this.

I asked some people how long this would go on and was told probably 50 or so years. I know he was joking but I bet its going to take a long time.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Work is progressing daily. Just very, very slowly, with no pattern of organization evident. Those of us that live in town are resigned to the fact that at the present rate, the job will take another 6 months at a minimum. They have made decent progress in installing the new side-walks. They appear to be half-way through the new sewer pipe installation. I would hope the repaving begins soon in places the piping is completed.
Considering Dominican driving habits, the number of vehicles ending up in the sewer trenches is surprisingly small.
In spite of all this, the roads are open, just figure an hour driving time from Jose Luis to Costambar.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
.........that when they started this project that they would finish it?

i guess i did :( i thought since they did the malecon and finished it, they could do the same with ONE freaken road. silly me, what was i thinking:ermm:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
What was done to the Malecon is very different then what is now being done! I agree with Howmar, we see progess every single day! IT isn't as bad as you think though. YOu just hav eto plan your routes in advance. Whenever and wherever possible I use the Malecon! I make more trips to Tropical then I do to Jose Luis, in fact I avoid the road as much as possible.

I am amazed there are not more accidents with the lack of signage and markings for new holes! But you get used to it and deal with it. I expect 3 to 6 more months to completion. I also agree there is no sense of organization or thought put into how this has been done. For example: they have now dug up the street in front of the new Banco Popular for the 3rd time! I guess once really isn't enough.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
What was done to the Malecon is very different then what is now being done! I agree with Howmar, we see progess every single day! IT isn't as bad as you think though. YOu just hav eto plan your routes in advance. Whenever and wherever possible I use the Malecon! I make more trips to Tropical then I do to Jose Luis, in fact I avoid the road as much as possible.

I am amazed there are not more accidents with the lack of signage and markings for new holes! But you get used to it and deal with it. I expect 3 to 6 more months to completion. I also agree there is no sense of organization or thought put into how this has been done. For example: they have now dug up the street in front of the new Banco Popular for the 3rd time! I guess once really isn't enough.

i'm glad to hear that it's not that bad after all. 6months is not that bad, i hope it doesn't continue until the end of time. i've never been much of a tropical fan, but i guess i will have to try. no sense in wasting an hour just to get to jose luis.

for the POP residents, keep us posted on the progress - it's nice to hear what is REALLY going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.