New York to Puerto Plata - cheap flights please?

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
My husband and I are going to Puerto Plata for a few weeks in December/January of this year/next. My husband's cousin would like to fly down at approximately the same time as us, however, he does not have internet at home so I have been trying to check on-line to find cheap flights. I know here in Canada we have cheap flight options on charter airlines but I don't know what exists from New York so I think I have mised some options as I have only been checking with scheduled airlines. So FAr the cheapest option is New York to Santiago via JetBlue but it would be better if we could book a direct flight from New York to POP. I have found several reasonable flights that route through Atlanta but we want a DIRECT flight. Also, I don't know if I shoudl be choosing departure from JFK or La Guardia? Does anyone know of any sites where I can check charter flights like in Canada (i.e. exit.ca and selloffairfares.com)?

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
There are two.......cheaptickets.com and ticketsbaratos.com
You can also check with spirit air they have a special going on......

Good luck

sunshine

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
You might want to check Continental. They have non-stop flights from Newark, NJ (about 20-30 minutes from NYC). If your not flying during Christmas season (about Dec 14th-January 10th), it should cost about $400US.

I don't believe any airline is currently flying non-stop from NYC to POP.

Denmay565

Dec 6, 2005
Fly out of Newark on Continental. That is the only non-stop from the NYC metropolitan area to POP and the rate is usually cheaper than American Airlines which stops usually in Miami or San Juan. Continental runs one non stop each day into and out of POP from Newark. Go onto Continentals website and check the rate.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Continental runs one non stop each day into and out of POP from Newark.
Well ... not exactly. Depending on the time of year, the flight may run as frequently as daily, or as infrequently as once a week. The first week of December they fly 3 times a week, the end of December they fly 7 times a week.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Just booked my mom on cont. from newark for the first week in Dec. Total cost with tax etc. $422USD

Bob K

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
stay away from miami !! delays, delays, delays...san juan is much better and the layover is much shorter.

i am traveling out of baltimore next week and my ticket is 584.00..

tazboardergirl

Aug 5, 2006
the further in advance you book it the cheaper it is. i booked thru american in august, 1 way to santo domingo, 288.dollars.and thats from denver, CO. somtimes at midnite you find the best fares.

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Fly into Santiago with Jet Blue

Consider flying into Santiago instead of Puerto Plata. Jet Blue will cost you about $200US each and the taxi ride from Santiago to PP will be $80.US. Big savings....

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Kyle, if you are asking me... You arrive in Santiago at 4:25 a.m., just in time to have a nice scenic ride to the North Coast

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
There is no dispute that the cheapest fares from NYC to the DR are the Jetblue flights into STI. Having said that, let's not exagerate. It is NOT "about $200.", unless you leave off all the taxes and fees, which is not realistic to do when they are over $100. The best fare JFK/STI right now is $335.95. The ticket price alone is $218. Also, you will need to pay cab fare each way, which will be $80 each for 2 people. Now you are over $400, and not that much cheaper than Continental flights from Newark (if at all).

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
The cab fare from Santiago to Puerto Plata is $80. period not by person. Check out other threads and get info on JJ, I believe he has a web site it is Paradise Trans. and depending on the dates you are willing to travel I have found tickets on Jet Blue for $99. one way so yes $200. plus taxes. Still cheaper than Continental or most others for that matter.

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
There is no dispute that the cheapest fares from NYC to the DR are the Jetblue flights into STI. Having said that, let's not exagerate. It is NOT "about $200.", unless you leave off all the taxes and fees, which is not realistic to do when they are over $100. The best fare JFK/STI right now is $335.95. The ticket price alone is $218. Also, you will need to pay cab fare each way, which will be $80 each for 2 people. Now you are over $400, and not that much cheaper than Continental flights from Newark (if at all).

Totally untrue, I booked a flight for this Saturday from Santiago to Burlington VT, for 120 + tx = 199$ so there you go .. You only need to shop for diffrent days

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
I agree, but only if you can deal with flying in and out of Santiago. Alas, JetBlue isn't going to POP, which is where the OP asked about. I have done the cab for $60 between Santiago and the North coast.

Or you can get a cab downtown STI and catch the next CaribeTour bus to POP which will cost you 20$ in all