Dominicans in main stream US politics

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Dominican American Round Table (Cid Wilson) shares this information with DR1 readers:

Several Dominicans were elected in recent Democratic and Republican primaries to represent their political party. Of the 10 Dominicans that won yesterday, 9 won Democratic primaries and 1 won a Republican primary. Massachusetts will have its Primary Elections on September 19 (next Tuesday) and there are Dominicans running in that primary.

Rhode Island
Juan Pichardo - State Senate
Grace Diaz - State Representative
Miguel Luna - Providence City Council
Luis Leon Tejada - Providence City Council (NEW)

New York
Adriano Espaillat - New York State Assembly
Jose Peralta - New York State Assembly
Rita Mella - Manhattan Civil Court (NEW)
Vivian Viloria-Fisher - Suffolks County Clerk (NEW) (she is currently an elected County Legislator in Suffolks County)

Maryland
Joseline Peña-Melnyk - Maryland House of Commons (NEW) (she is currently an elected councilwoman in College Park, Maryland)

New Hampshire
Carlos Gonzalez - New Hampshire State Legislature

Rita Mella (NY) won a new seat at Manhattan Civil Court Judge.

Vivian Viloria-Fisher (NY) won a county-wide primary race and if victorious in November, would be the second Dominican to hold a county-wide seat in New York (the other is County Legislator Roman Rodriguez of Orange County, NY). It should be noted that Suffolks County has over a million people living there and while it may require further research, if victorious in November, Vivian Viloria-Fisher could be possibly be the Dominican elected official with the largest elective district in the United States.

Adriano Espaillat (NY) in winning his primary would become the first Dominican to hold elective office for 10 years and the longest-lasting Dominican elected official in U.S. history.

Joseline Peña-Melnyk (MD) won her primary and if victorious in November would make her the first Dominican ever elected to the statewide office in Maryland history and would make her the second Dominican female ever elected to any statewide office in U.S. history (the first being Grace Diaz of Rhode Island who won her primary yesterday too).

Luis Leon Tejada (RI) who lost his State Representative seat to Grace Diaz ran for Providence Council and won. His victory now puts Rhode Island at 4 legislative elected officials.

Possibly as many as 15 Dominicans who ran in primaries around the country and lost.

Tom Perez (MD) who was trying to run to be Maryland Attorney General was disqualified from the ballot about two weeks ago by the Maryland Court of Appeals on the grounds that he did not meet the qualification of "practicing law in Maryland" despite his legal experience and favorable rulings in lower courts on the question of his eligibility. He was running to be the first Dominican Attorney General in U.S. history. Maybe next time.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Oh, that's just great....more politicians...more crooks in training...how's that going to help anyone..how about a list showing Dominicans doing something that actually benefits society?

Why would anyone here in the US want Dominican politicians? We have seen what they have accomplished in the homeland.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Oh, that's just great....more politicians...more crooks in training...how's that going to help anyone..how about a list showing Dominicans doing something that actually benefits society?

Why would anyone here in the US want Dominican politicians? We have seen what they have accomplished in the homeland.

I don't know about the other states but the one mentioned frm Maryland are great career civil servants, both Pena-Melnyk and Tom Perez

..read this two threads

They both truly got into politics not because of politics itself, but because they see it as a way to continue their life work of helping the disadvantaged and disenfranchized.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006

Two very different political animals.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
How many Asians do you see holding high political office in the US? Few, if any.

How many Asians do you see roaming the halls of Harvard and CalTech? A large, disproportionate number.

Which ethnic group has the higher income level?

It's opportunity cost...let's not waste a good American education trying to re-distribute other people's income.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
It's opportunity cost...let's not waste a good American education trying to re-distribute other people's income

Mondongo, I agree with you. However, giving representation to those no one else do is a worthy goal to get into politic for.

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
How many Asians do you see holding high political office in the US? Few, if any.

How many Asians do you see roaming the halls of Harvard and CalTech? A large, disproportionate number.

Which ethnic group has the higher income level?

It's opportunity cost...let's not waste a good American education trying to re-distribute other people's income.

You sound bitter.

Like A. Hidalgo said, it's two different animals. Not too mention there are many politicians in office today that do things to benefit themselves and their friends. Our fearless leader George W. Bush comes to mind.

Also, contrary to popular belief, not every Dominican is a crook.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
In some ways I really feel your comment. I think you are right to question. However, I am pro-Dominican-Americans that are interested in making real, quality of life changes to those living in often marginalized communities. Tom and Joseline are those type of people: trailblazers. I can't speak for all on that list on whether they bring old vs new style politico techniques. However, please also consider that a critical mass may also be needed to move legislation forward.

My best to you always.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Most of the above mentioned are actually Americans

They may have one or more Dominican born parents(Making a great leap and suposing that they actually know who their father is!) but they were born,raised,and educated in the "Good Ol' USA! That makes them "Americans", NOT Dominicans!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
CC, yes, we are talking about Dominican-Americans. I guess what some folks were talking about here are the Espaillat's and the Linares' that were born in DR but are now naturalized US citizens. These politicians are forced to walk a tight rope between the new and old world they come from.

What we are also talking about is the influence that their Dominican parents had on their children. The fact of the matter is that old style Dominican politicians have an amazing grassroots mobilization and galvanizing capability. This is something that the new generation needs to retain but change the end use from strickly preservation tactics to good policy implementation. I think that Tom Perez was able to achieve that transition well.

The other issue is whether Dominicans can stand beyond the political machines that exists. In some cases, they have redefined the dialogue. In other cases, the "activists" continue to shame me by calling themselves Dominicans.