congrats to omar minaya, gm of mets

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
it took the man from moca what? 2 years to put a pennant winner together? lots of people really happy for him in montreal where he was gm for a few years and did a terrific job here with what little he was given. all the way omar!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Congrats

Very happy for him.

I think they'll have trouble getting beyond the first round, but it's been a fun year for the Mets.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Indeed!

it took the man from moca what? 2 years to put a pennant winner together? lots of people really happy for him in montreal where he was gm for a few years and did a terrific job here with what little he was given. all the way omar!
Minaya, Randolph and the whole team did a GREAT job. Great job indeed!!.

Congrats and I hope that IF the Yankees do not win, for the Mets to win it all!!.

Mets

They did a great job winning the pennant. Yankee's ? no subway series.

You gotta watch out for those might

2ce0pyu.png

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Different season

What makes you think that.
The NL East was (surprisingly) extraordinarily weak - almost the entire year.

The Mets have some brittle pitching in the front line, their bullpen has been tremendous, but they're highly untested.

They can be pitched to.

I'm more interested to see Willie Randolph coach in the playoffs. I didn't expect him to last very long, so kudos to him.

Now I'm just curious to see what happens when his decisions will be magnified. I haven't seen much of his style this year, but in previous years I saw some questionable things.

I have a very difficult time believing the NL has a shot-in-Haiti to win it all in 06.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
The whole AL is way better argument carries less weight now that Boston, Angels and White Sox aint playing in the playoffs. They were 3 of the powerhouses when the year started. They all choked and didn't make it to the post season. . . .

Oakland? Detroit? Minnesota? Very good teams,but not unbeatable.

If the Mets are playing well, they can beat ANY team. . . .if they are not playing well. . . . .

The Mets did not lose more than 4 games in a row all year. They had to use 13 starting pitchers. They seem to find a way to win. HRs or small ball, pitching or offense. . . .

Oh. . . .and cleef. . . .BILL BUCKNER;-)

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
New season

The whole AL is way better argument carries less weight now that Boston, Angels and White Sox aint playing in the playoffs. They were 3 of the powerhouses when the year started. They all choked and didn't make it to the post season. . . .
If the teams making the playoffs cleared those powerhouses out, doesn't that make them better by definition?

Oakland? Detroit? Minnesota? Very good teams,but not unbeatable.

If the Mets are playing well, they can beat ANY team. . . .if they are not playing well. . . . .
No one is unbeatable, and we're in a whole new season now so yes, if "X" is playing well, they might win, if "X" isn't playing well, they very likely won't. I think Detroit and Minn have deeper and better pitching than anyone left, by a large margin.

The Mets did not lose more than 4 games in a row all year. They had to use 13 starting pitchers. They seem to find a way to win. HRs or small ball, pitching or offense. . . .
Again, very weak division - and league. Some of the #4 and #5 pitchers they saw have (had) no business being in the Majors. Boston and their weak pitching took 4 from the Mets like they were on a picnic.

Oh. . . .and cleef. . . .BILL BUCKNER;-)
I don't get it. 20th anniversary? I'm not following you.

If you have to explain a joke, better to save it.:bunny:

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
I have a very difficult time believing the NL has a shot-in-Haiti to win it all in 06.

Although not a fan of the junior circuit, I believe the AL has a better chance to win it all in '06- Detroit being The Kid's pick.

The "AL is the better league" argument has never made sense to me, since players and mgrs switch leagues some times.

Also, the "they had more heart" or "they wanted it more" statements as the reason for "X" team winning, are stupid. When I hear intelligent adults say stuff like that, I ask them to explain it. But I still don't know what they mean.

-The Kid

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Prefer NL ball

The "AL is the better league" argument has never made sense to me, since players and mgrs switch leagues some times.

Also, the "they had more heart" or "they wanted it more" statements as the reason for "X" team winning, are stupid. When I hear intelligent adults say stuff like that, I ask them to explain it. But I still don't know what they mean.

-The Kid
Agreed. Further, I find the National League game to be more suited (oftentimes) to the playoff format. The main point being that AL teams often wait for the 3-run HR, whereas in the NL, if the lead off batter gets on, they'll waste outs trying to get the runner into scoring position (sacrifice bunts). The old saying being "get'em on, get'em over, get'em in".

All teams know how to play that way, but the NL is better schooled at it for the most part.

It usually works out to who is playing the best these final days. Teams like the Mets and Yankees - both in it some time ago - have to start those engines back up.

Harder still for the Yanks, as they'll have a rather new lineup once the playoffs start (Matsui and Sheffield manning the corner OF's) and Mariano hasn't pitched in some time.

Those battling to the very end of the season are already in playoff mode, that may help them sneak up on a sleeping giant.

Whoever faces Minnesota could be out of it before they even realize they were invited.

As always, it should be interesting.