Fernandez

M

Me

I read that Fernandez is approved by over half of the population in his presidency. I would like to know why he is not a candidate for re-election?

D

DR1

A revision of the Dominican Constitution carried out in 1994 prohibits presidential re-election. Political analysts say he is the strongest contender to win the 2004 presidential election.

T

Tom

This country has been politically dominated by two men since the early 1930's, Trujillo and Balaguer. Juan Bosch, Pena Gomez, Antonio Guzman, and now Leonel have influenced developing democratic values in politics. The Fernandez government has moved forward with making the DR a better place to invest money and cleaned up some parts of the way the system operates. Underlying corruption exists in all the political parties. The PLD has not lived up to my expections with improving public services and it appears to be business as usual.

D

DR Defender

I am really curious to know if that's really true that you can't be presindent twice in the DR now. If anyone has any more information on this please let me know cause I am shock! I think its a little bit extreme cause I don't think two terms in the office is not that bad. More info. would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

D

Duarte

Unfortunately it is true. Which is a shame because this government has really done so me good things, which may be turned back by the next government if the opposing PRD party wins. I agree with you that, like in the US, two consecutive periods should be the way to go. I am very afraid that the PRD may win the election. Even though a lot of people in my family are member of that party, it is an extremely corrupt party. Most of the leading people in that party are the same people that led it when it was in power in the 80's. When the president was indicted because of corruption. Take for instance Hatuey Decamps, who happens to be from my hometown (cotui). This guy is a thief with no shame. With a salary of a few thousand pesos a month he supposedly was able to keep two or three of the latest Mercedes Benzs in his garage, own part or all of Caribe Tours (the transportation company), etc. Talk about stretching the dollar (peso in this case). This just one the thousands of examples of people who labor in this party. The candidate himself (Hipolito Mejia) has not said anything in terms of what he will do for the country if he becomes president, other being a complete demagogue, that any educated person can see right through. I feel for my country if these people get to power. But then again you know what they say that "a country deserves the government it elects". Sorry if I ranted too much. I get too emotional about these things!