Cingular service on northcoast

Status
Not open for further replies.

otto

Aug 11, 2006
Im under the gun on time today,,so I apologize if this is a repetitive question, since i havent got time to search all the cell archived mssgs. Is it correct that a cingular service phone must be unlocked and purchase orange sim card in order to use that same number in Dr,,,must be unlocked here before I leave.......thanx...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am pretty sure that it is done in an Orange office here inthe DR. Just costs a few pesos..

HB

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Im under the gun on time today,,so I apologize if this is a repetitive question, since i havent got time to search all the cell archived mssgs. Is it correct that a cingular service phone must be unlocked and purchase orange sim card in order to use that same number in Dr,,,must be unlocked here before I leave.......thanx...

You can have it unlocked in the DR and it will be cheaper. You will not keep your CIngular number. You will be assigned a new Orange number in either the 809 or 829 area code.

Chuckuindy

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
There is no way your local number will work with a Orange sim card. From what you are saying your best bet is to buy a cheap cell phone in the DR for all outgoing calls. Use your Cingular for only incoming calls. They will cost you over $1 per min.

Chuckuindy

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Just make sure you copy your "address book" just in case it gets deleted when they are unlocking your phone, happened to me. Oh yeah, it's about $350RD

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you bought your phone from Cingular at a low price because you were becoming a client or, as a client, upgrading to a more expensive phone, it is very likely locked by Cingular. If you bought it elsewhere and have been using a Cingular SIM card on a pay-as-you-go basis, it very likely is not locked.

To use the phone in the DR and pay local rather than roaming prices, you will need to get an Orange SIM card and buy time cards. If your phone is not locked, just take out the Cingular SIM card and put in the Orange SIM card. you will then be using the number Orange gave you and paying for your calls with an Orange time card. If your phone is locked, you will have to get it unlocked first. That can be done here.

When you return to the US, take out your Orange SIM card, put in the Cingular SIM card, and resume using your Cingular number.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Check and see if you have a "quad band international phone" from Cingular. If so, just put the Orange SIM card in, and buy Orange cards on the street.

My Cingular phone is an international phone, and that's what I do.

BTW-put your US address book in the phone, not SIM card. Otherwise you won't have access to it.

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Check and see if you have a "quad band international phone" from Cingular. If so, just put the Orange SIM card in, and buy Orange cards on the street.

My Cingular phone is an international phone, and that's what I do.

BTW-put your US address book in the phone, not SIM card. Otherwise you won't have access to it.

I took a tri band that worked and a sim free phone then buy sim in D/R

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Quad(s) and Tri(s) are equally good, just make sure its not a dual band, which will work in limited areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.