General Contractor?? North Coast!

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
* After waiting 3 1/2 years to obtain legal title to my house [?], I, an American, began a major construction project ["major" for me, at least]:

* a 1,600 SF deck, all wood, treated pine, elevated 20' above the ground, with an 800 SF thatched roof, including a 4 person [fibreglass] jacuzzi, all railings & 1 wooden staircase.
* 2 months of work, pain, suffering, & ? But, . . it's done & in all modesty it's a masterpiece! Anyone curious enough to verify my claims? Please PM me; we can arrange a visit & an inspection, in POP.

* The general contractor? A DR from Maimon named Nelson Castillo, [cell - 809-836-8295]. His performance? A to A-! By DR standards? 11, on a scale of 1 to 10. He returned phone calls, he ordered the correct materials [a fortune in pine from Ochoa, Santiago], showed up every day, with various crews; all work was professionally finished; all laborers & sub-contractors were paid. I think we foreigners are uniquely vulnerable in the area of new construction & renovations.

* Loose ends: Nelson does not speakc English, although he understands some. He has 1 cousin who is an architect; another who is an engineer; I didn't use the services of either; I can not speak positively or negatively of either.
* Free advice: if you're consideraing a construciton project, give him a call; it's worth obtaining an estimate & sizing the man up. He treated me very fairly. He may do the same for you.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Bully for you GS! Great to hear your plans came to fruition, which unfortunately is uncommon. I'd love to see it when I return in November ....Saludo! Canadian Bob.

Scrappe

Mar 9, 2013
hi, i am also planing on doing a project in DR on the north coast. i am seeking quotes on construction drawings, as well as complete construction of the project. i will try Nelson's number and see if it is still available.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
hi, i am also planing on doing a project in DR on the north coast. i am seeking quotes on construction drawings, as well as complete construction of the project. i will try Nelson's number and see if it is still available.

Also get in touch with Chip, a poster here on DR1 for a quote or recommendation