BRING BUG SPRAY!!!!!!!

M

mina

To all of you travelling to DR in near future a word of warning: BRING SOME BUG SPRAY WITH YOU!!!!

My family went to Bayahibe and we were stung pretty well all over by mosquitoes! Pretty bad!!! And now we all have flu symptoms, which is pretty scary because we don't know if it is just the flu or DENGUE FEVER or MALARIA!

We all went through several blood smear tests and so far test negative, but that is not necessarily cause to celebrate yet, as malaria can be very hard to find sometimes so we will have to go through more testing in near future.

Please do not forget your bug spray and have a safe and healthy vacation.

Mina

B

Burmell

If you will check around you will find that 50% of the people in the US and canada have those same symptoms and they have never seen the DR. Don't worry about it being something that you contracted there. I have been there 10 timews and never had even the slightest cold.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Mosquitoes

Bug spray? You mean insect repellent as opposed to pesticide. In the USA we ofen use the words bug spray to mean pesticide.

All the below information is to avoid mosquito bites, which I detest. It's rarely serious but damned annoying. To get Malaria from a mosquito, a single mosquito would have to have bitten something else that carries it, then bite you. If you avoid getting bitten, the odds of getting Malaria go way down, and they aren't high anyway at this time. The mosquito population varies greatly by region, time of year, amount of recent rain, and government and resort efforts to spray the area with pesticide. Sometimes I never even see a mosquito for an entire visit, other times, I can't seem to avoid getting bitten. Nobody can say for sure how it will be when you visit.

Studies repeatedly show that products such as skin-so-soft that do not contain DEET (<A HREF="http://www.tendercorp.com/deetqa.html">http://www.tendercorp.com/deetqa.html</A>) do not work for most people. You need a product that contains DEET, the active ingredient in OFF!. Repellent containing DEET is readily available if you forget, but you'll pay resort or tourist town prices, which can easily be double or triple what you'd pay at your home supermarket or drug store. Since some people feel DEET in strong concentrations can be harmful to children, there are alternatives such as Natrapel (<A HREF="http://www.tendercorp.com/natrapel.html">http://www.tendercorp.com/natrapel.html</A>).

Since its not practical to cover yourself from head to toe with repellent when you sleep and mosquito nets need to be hung from something, if you've got mosquitoes in your room, I'd recommend picking up a can of pesticide and spraying the room before you go out to dinner for a few hours. A local brand ByGone works well.

I've tried bug lights. First, battery powered units and then I brought a full power 1/4 acre pool bug light, figuring it would kill the 2 or 3 mosquitoes I couldn't seem to catch but would ultimately bite me overnight. Trust me, they don't work.

Wear long pants and socks starting just before sunset and especially to dinner if dining outside, as most resort and many restaurant dining facilities are.

Finally, if you get bit, a weak solution of Ammonium Hydroxide (common name is Ammonia used in washing clothes) applied directly to the bite works wonders to stop the itching. There is a product called Afterbite (<A HREF="http://www.tendercorp.com/afterbite.html">http://www.tendercorp.com/afterbite.html</A>) that contains Ammonium Hydroxide in a convenient stick applicator that I always carry and for me, it works REAL well, eliminating the itch in seconds.

1/15/00

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

K

Karen

When is the rainy season? Are there any statistic stating when the mosquito population is at its highest?

J

Jim Hinsch

The Dominican Republic's rainier months are September and October, basically following the Caribbean hurricane season but it varies a bit by region. There is no official rainy season.

M

mina

DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT? THAT COULD KILL YOU!

DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT???????

excuse me, but perhaps you don't realize the fatality odds involved with diseases such as malaria and dengue fever...

Although it is true that the odds of us having only contracted the flu that is presently circulating the world are probably very high, we cannot turn a blind eye to the possibility of these other killer sicknesses.

We would indeed be stupid not to take malaria and dengue seriously and under these circumastances.

So far we have tested negative on the blood smear tests but we have to keep testing for as long as these fevers we have persist. malaria is hard to detect sometimes because the parasites are present in only parts of the blood stream so you essentially have to "fish" for it. This is why they generally do a deep smear test and a high smear test.

The long and short of it is this: if you come back from the tropics with fevers and flu symptoms go directly to your doctor and get him to test you. You do not want to take a "don't worry about it" attitude. That could cost you your life!!!!

mina

M

mina

By bug spray I meant both kinds!

The kind you put on your body to repel the mosquitoes and the kind you sparay in your room to kill the ones that sneak in.

You see the kind that sneak in your room could be the ones that give you dengue fever. They circulate in the day and when the maid is cleaning your room during the day she leaves your windows and door wide open.... leaving them a chance to come in. So you need to spray the room to get rid of them.

Then the malaria mosquitoes circulate at dusk and dawn times. So if you are out then you need bug repellent at those times. Some people are recommending to wear repellent at all times.

mina

M

mina

re: RAINY SEASON and MOSQUITOES

Rainy season is usually October and November. But "El Nino" has been playing games with weather patterns all over. This year record amounts of rain and extended hot weather periods have reacted on mosquito breeding patterns causing huge amounts of mosquitoes to plague the tropics.

Friends of mine live in Mexico and told me that the Mexican Gov't has given out Malaria pills like candy this year. Surprisingly (or not!) no warnings to tourists were issued even though the highest numbers were reported in places like Playa del Carmen where tons of tourists flock to each year.

mina

K

Karen

Does any one have a link to a chart that shows annual rain fall? Not only am I curious about the mosquito aspects, I would like to know if my vacation (April-May) falls into a low rain period. Karen

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: re: RAINY SEASON and MOSQUITOES

My experience is that there is no mosquito explosion in the north or the south end of the Dominican Republic, where I've been spending 8 days a month. I haven't felt the need to put on repellent since October and get perhaps a bite or two a month. This is a big difference from last year, when there were mosquitoes galore after the hurricane. I attribute it in part at least to the cooler weather that we've been having. The mosquito thing is something I take attention to. They always get me.

J

Jaime

Re: DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT? THAT COULD KILL YOU!

We are traveling to Puerta Plata in February, so I contacted my physician regarding medication for malaria. Fortunatly the clinic that we use maintains a critical care unit that monitors all of the worlds nations for disease that could affect travelers. We also reside in a University city so there are always a high number of international travelers from our city. Our physician did not hesitate to prescribe a full battery of medications to be used before we travel to the DR. That recommendation is a good indication that we should all be concerned about contracting a disease when we visit the DR.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: CDC recommendations - a little perspective

The CDC also recommends travelers to the DR receive vaccinations for Hep A, B, Rabies, Typhoid, Tetanus, Diptheria, Measles, only eating vegetables you have peeled yourself, avoiding ice cubes, don't drink beverages with ice, not going barefoot, not eating food sold by street vendors, not traveling at night, wearing long sleeves from dusk to dawn, and not swimming in any body of fresh water (see <A HREF="http://www.cdc.gov/travel/caribean.htm">http://www.cdc.gov/travel/caribean.htm</A>).

That should put things into perspective.

P

Phyllis

Re: CDC recommendations - a little perspective

Way to go Jim - this thread of messages seem to panic some people. I've been to the DR for short and long periods of time, and NEVER experienced any problems with sickness! Enjoy this beautiful country and don't worry so much, but yes be careful like you would in your own country.

M

mina

Wish you could see my bites!

Well, Jim, I wish you could see the bites that we endured !!!!

We look like swiss cheese!!!

I went to DR last year too (Punta Cana last year Bayahibe this year) and we didn't get bitten at all last year.

I am not trying to alarm anyone just a giving a reminder that there are possible bad and sad after effects to those horrid little vampires with wings! and it is better not to be relaxed about this issue.

mina

M

mina

Nobody is panicking just forewarning!

Nobody is panicking here at all. If you think people are panicking you have misunderstood everything.

I think this is a very good place to be able to inform other tourists that in order to enjoy a beautiful vacation one sometimes needs to know more about it before leaving and as a great French saying goes : "It is better to prevent than to have to cure."

regards,

mina

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Wish you could see my bites!

I don't doubt you. Mosquito populations very greatly by region.

Tell us what part of the DR you were in that had all the mosquitoes, when you were there, and where exactly were you when you got bit up (inside your room, eating dinner, on the beach, in the campo, in the woods, in the city, on the golf course, laying by the pool, etc.) and what time was it the worse (day, dawn, evening)?

M

mina

Re: Wish you could see my bites!

We were in Bayahibe in the province of La Romana on Dominicus beach.

We were there the first week of January 2000.

We had room invador mosquitoes usually there were three or four culprits in our room by the evening. We would try to kill them off but inevitably some escaped our powers.

Dinner time was usually the worst. The restaurants were all open air style and the mosquitoes would prey on us here with no mercy.

I am a devoted Yoga nut and doing my exercises on the beach at sunrise is something I adore. I tried to wear long tights and a long sleeved t-shirt to avoid getting devoured, but.... not too bad here I would come away with just six or seven bites each time on average.

So we were pretty well bitten throughout the day and night. Worst times were dinner time and nighttime.

Mina

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: a little perspective WITH BIG CONSEQUENCES

The people on this board amaze me to no end. Do you also dispense legal advice; civil engineering advice, astro-physics advice and advice in other areas that obviously the majority is not qualified to dispense? And when you are making seemingly innocuous statements such as ?oh, I would not worry about it (Malaria) (Schistosomiasis) etc. ? you are in fact dispensing medical advice, especially if the individual respects your opinion and follows it. When I want advice on legal matters, I go to a lawyer, when I want advice how to build a house, I go to an engineer/architect, WHEN I WANT MEDICAL ADVICE, I GO TO A PHYSICIAN. And now that I am on my soapbox?.here goes: First let me say, the old aphorism ?an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure? is just as valid today as my grandmother?s time. However, for some reason, known only to God, governments and the population in general do not ascribe to PREVENTIVE MEDICINE. They would rather risk becoming ill and then try to cure it rather than prevent it! This is why laws had to be passes in the USA to force families to inoculate their children against diseases that could be prevented.

NOW, AS THE EXPERTS SAY, LETS PUT THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE: HEPATITIS A: Fatalities are rare but do occur. Recovery can take up to three months. There is no specific treatment. It can be prevented by immunization. HEPATITIS B: 10% to 15% fatality rate. No cure and recovery is prolonged. Cirrhosis usually develops and is the terminal phase. It can be prevented by immunizations. RABIES: Rabies immunization is ONLY recommended when that is a possibility of being infected with rabies (i.e. bites from infected mammals). TO PUT THIS IN REAL PERSPECTIVE, THERE HAS ONLY BEEN FOUR DOCUMENTED CASES OF SURVIVAL OF RABIES (ONCE DIAGNOSED) IN THE ENTIRE MEDICAL WORLD LITERATURE THAT DID NOT RECEIVE THE NECESSARY PROPHYLAXIS. TYPHOID: With proper treatment fatality rate is 1%; without treatment 12%. Recovery is prolonged, 4 to 12 weeks. It can be prevented with immunization. TETANUS: World MORTALITY rate of 50%. Survival is possible but return to normal living is not without serious neurological complications. Recovery phase can be 6 months to a year or more requiring artificial ventilation and the complications associated with that. Easily prevented by immunization and periodic booster. DIPHTHERIA: discussed before but untreated has a high mortality rate of 70+%. Complications of life long myocarditis in those that survive and develop the problem. Preventable with immunization. MEASLES: Normally a relatively benign course but the complications are disastrous with the development of encephalitis in 1:1000 cases leading to convulsions and coma and death. Also the subacute sclerosing panencephalitis, a chronic brain disease not uncommon in children and adolescents and occurs months to years after infection with measles. This leads to intellectual deterioration, convulsions and seizures and severe motor dysfunction and is universally fatal. Preventable with immunization. MALARIA: well, we have covered this previously ( a protozoan infection characterized by paroxysms of chills, fever, and sweating and by anemia, splenomegaly and A CHRONIC RELAPSING COURSE, and while there is no immunization (experimental) there is chemoprophylaxis for endemic areas. There is NO cure for malaria. At best it is suppressed. And suppression may last for years or decades. (If you think there is a cure, try donating blood with a history of hepatitis or malaria!) Malaria can be life threatening with pre existing illnesses. And, dreaded Blackwater fever is a serious complication. There are other complications (cerebral manifestations) but this is not a course in medicine.

The advice to cook, boil or peel has relatively self explanatory reasons I think.

Ice cubes and ice in drinks are dangerous unless you KNOW the ice is not made with contaminated water on under unsanitary conditions. People won?t drink unsanitary water but forget ice is made from water!

Going barefoot: reason, to prevent HOOKWORK DISEASE common in the tropics and areas of poor sanitation (rare in the USA) but about 25% of world population is infected. The larvae of the hookworm penetrates human skin, reaches the lung via the lymphatics and blood, ascend the respiratory tract, are swallowed, and about a week after skin penetration reach the intestine where they attach by their mouths to the mucosal of the upper small intestine and suck blood rendering the patient anemic over time. Medication for treatment is toxic and recovery is 4 to 12 weeks and anemia must also be treated. Relatively easy to avoid by NOT going barefoot! Eating food sold by street vendors: Sanitation with street vendors is non existent for the most part. Have you ever seen one wash his hands? Wearing protective clothing at night: for protection against mosquitoes. Simple. NOT swimming in fresh water: To prevent SCHISTOSOMIASIS (endemic in most of South America and the Caribbean islands). Freshwater snails are the intermediate host. Target organ in the human is the liver, urinary bladder where complications cause a liver fibrosis and ultimate liver failure and the urinary bladder is subject to cancer changes of the mucosa. Prophylaxis is difficult, use molluscacides and avoidance of infected water (which is easiest!)

NOW, DO YOU FEEL THIS IS THE PROPER PERSPECTIVE? Now that you know the other side of the coin; now that you know the consequences of ACQUIRING the disease as opposed to IMMUNIZING against it, one can see the reasons for the CDC recommendations. They are not being overly cautious, they KNOW the ultimate consequences. You don?t just ?pop? a pill and you are well. Prevention is far better than treatment especially when most of these diseases have a potential for a fatal outcome. I wonder how many people who are bitten by a ?potentially? rabid dog or bat (that was not recovered for laboratory analyisis) would forego the painful rabies injections for 2 weeks and risk untreatable rabies? CDC and similar European counterparts and physicians ONLY RECOMMEND AND ADVISE. And with the advice of their physician, the patient makes the ultimate choice of their medical course. Unfortunately, it is impossible to force ?good health? upon people. Good health for the most part is a choice. Final question: how many of those ?dispensing advice? have seen patients DIE from the consequences and complications of these diseases? I have! Sorry this took so long! ECH

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: a little perspective

Nobody is depensing legal or medical advice any more than are they dispensing legal or medical advice when they inform their friends that the drinking age is 21 or advise someone with a headache to take two asprin.

What you have are seasoned travelers giving their opinion and quoting published sources. I quote from the CDC page and don't even give a personal opinion. Just a selection of CDC statements that highlights the level of caution of the CDC warnings. I hardly think a tourist visiting a resort has any intention of avoiding drinks with ice, not going barefoot, wearing long sleeves from dusk to dawn, or wearing a life-jacket for a swim in the ocean, dangerous as it might be. We all know the CDC has reasons for their recommendations.

Statements like, "MALARIA: There is NO cure for malaria. ". That statement standing alone lacks balance and is borderline sensationalism, true as it may be.

There is no cure for the potentially fatal "common cold" or "the flu" either. In the USA, I suspect a lot more people die from those two than from Malaria. Add that to the end of your NO CURE statement and it adds a bit of balance, and I don't mean to belittle that fact that Malaria is more serious than the common cold. I for one don't know what the mortality rate is for Malaria, when treated or when not treated.

Why don't you explain what a "chemoprophylaxis" is. When you say there is no cure for Malaria, do you mean you have Malaria forever, with symtoms that come back again and again, forever? If you get it and 10 years from now, if a mosquito bites you and then bites your friend, your friend will get it too, forever? I think you are scaring some of us, including me. I spend a lot of time in the DR and I don't want to have continously be on some anti-malaria regimen, nor do I want catch some awful disease that never goes away ever and hope I don't catch it based on a mosquito bite.

How easily IS it treated? After all, DR1 says their medical experts reported "In the very unlikely case you fall ill with malaria, the adequate dose of Chloroquine will release the sickness in 24-72 hours..." Is this not true? After reading <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Resort/5403/MalariaFAQ1.htm">http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Resort/5403/MalariaFAQ1.htm</A>, it doesn't seem very hard to diagnose or treat, in most cases. I also read that one should not take the prevention medicine long term because it is toxic. So what is your recommendation for frequent visitors?

T

Tom

A "Little" malaria

Well Jim, the flu doesn't stay in your body forever and "pop up" at will. The flu or cold doesn't stay in your boady and prevent you from ever donating blood. There is no cure for rabies, but once you have it and are cured, it is gone, not so with malaria.

I speak from a crash course I just received: I contracted Malaria while in Boca Chica last month (the time frame makes it the only likely place). It DOES NOT GO AWAY WITH A COUPLE PILLS.

It does have the most unrelenting fever, chills, a heqadache you can't believe, malaise, congestion and a general thought of dying, but thats no big deal, right????????????

Any of you that wish to dispute, disregard or simply ignore ECH's advice in favor of people who insist on being the final authority on a matter they know nothing about, I can tell you a miserable truth

Tom