Fishing

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I've asked this question in years past, but never really got an answer. I'll be down for a few weeks next month, I would like to spend a few days with my butt plunked down on the shore someplace with a fishing pole in one hand and a presidente in the other.

I'm not too particular whether I'm fishing the ocean from the beach, a fresh water lake or fly fishing a stream.

What I'm not interested in is hiring a boat.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
PM a guy named MIKEFISHER on here.
He runs a few charter boats out out of Cortecito and seems knowledgeable of the waters around the island from what I have read. I am sure he could steer you to the right beach and give you bait advice.

Good fishing!

tambo'

Caren M.

Jan 27, 2006
Caribbeanoceanadventures.com. Owner Jack is a great guy. Also in Punta Cana not far from el cortecito.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
What??? 5 billion members of this forum and nobody fishes? Or all the fisher people out there hiding their secret spots?

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I thought for sure I submitted a post to this thread on Saturday before I went fishing in NJ.

In any event, I wrote that I went fishing with my girlfriend's father in January at a scenic spot on the rocks overlooking the water. We walked from their house in La Union about 15 minutes on the highway towards Sosua and veered off the highway straight back to the water.

There were several locals fishing there and from what I hear they catch a variety of fish. The day I went I caught about a 3 lb "cojinua" which I think is a bar jack with great blue colors using a pretty big yellow bucktail jig. If I were to go fishing there again I would bring some small diamond jigs and spoons as I had many fish following my lure that didn't take it. The water was so clear you could see straight down into it and see the fish.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Could you possibly give a landmark where you turned to the water?

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Ok, my girlfriend just explained to me that the name of the place is the La Bocita de Forma. Any motoconcho in La Union should know it. This may be a little off the beaten track and I am sure I was the only gringo there. She also mentioned that once in a blue moon her father goes fishing on the beach in Luperon.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
FishingSpot.jpg

Cojinua.jpg

Here is the place I went.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
OK, perhaps I now how to find a fishing spot. What should I bring for fishing gear, and what do I use for bait?

Sep 19, 2005
my buddy goes fishing in a reservior in or near La Vega... they catch large mouth black bass.....he goes in his boat.....I dont know what kind of shore access there is.....they catch a lot, abouty 20 or more on a trip.....

I seriously doubt the fishing from shore would be any good...as many poor locals would have fished those shore access spot clean.......

good luck

bob