Backpacking from Punta Cana

hulk

Oct 15, 2006
Hi,
is there some simple and cheap overnight stay near Punta Cana airport ?
Just to get started there after a long flight.

I could possibly get some last minute flight to the DR in the next days and couldn't get a copy of a recent "Rough Guide" or "Lonely Planet" yet. This would be my first trip to the DR.

I'm not a "real backpacker" in that sense but I also like spending my money on exploring the country rather than hanging around in a resort all day. Thanks !

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Unfortunately the immediate area around the Punta Cana Airport is bare of non all inclusive hotels. Not too far away though in the Cabeza de Toro section of Bavaro is the Hotel Restaurante Naragua 809 688-4060. It's a small quaint hotel to stay at and is just walking distance from the public beach. I believe the cost is RD $900 a night. If you're goal is to backpack I assume you will not be taking in a taxi. In any case they will charge you through the roof. Your best option is to take public transportation. Right in front of the Punta Cana Airport you can pick up a public bus going towards Higuey. Get off at the Entrada de Bavaro and transfer to bus going into Cabeza de Toro. You will be dropped off right at the hotel. When in doubt just ask the cobrador or driver.

hulk

Oct 15, 2006
Thanks a lot! That should help.

I wasn't sure about any public transport system there. There is no Punta Cana section in the "Lonely Planet" guide. Probably not a good place to land for backpackers. Anyway - more of an adventure then. :)

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Thanks a lot! That should help.

I wasn't sure about any public transport system there. There is no Punta Cana section in the "Lonely Planet" guide. Probably not a good place to land for backpackers. Anyway - more of an adventure then. :)

Really, you're sure? I've got the 2002 version here and it has 9 pages on Punta Cana/Bavaro (it's headed under 'Costa del Coco'). It mentions five non-AI hotels in Punta Cana. I don't have any experience with them, but f you can't find anything in your version, send me a pm and i'll give you the addresses. I actually thought the Lonely Planet is too much focused on the traveller with the resort mentality for what is basically a back packing guide, and I like the Rough Guide more. Anyway, Punta Cana is not normally thought of as an adventure.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If what you're looking for is a bed to pass the night, there are a few caba?as relatively close to the airport that are cheaper than hotels (bed, tv, bathroom and a/c). Not exactly what I would recommend to tourists but I would put it as one of the top options in your case...

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
I think Punta Cana can definitely be an adventure, especially for those who do not choose the all-inclusive option. The public transportation system of Punta Cana is surprisingly sufficient since so many hotel workers use it to and from their homes. It's a great way to get around and explore. El Cortecito is a quaint little tourist stop to visit and also the Craft Market next to the hotel Barcelo is a chill place to hang on the beach, get some food and buy some Dominican souvenirs. Punta Cana has definitely been commercialized with the numerous AI's but I think an adventure can be easily had.

hulk

Oct 15, 2006
Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Actually I didn't mean to seek adventure in Punta Cana - the adventure might be to get away from there without getting trapped by the AI business. Landing at night, speaking no spanish, having no info about the place and who knows...

Caba?as sounds good for that case, KateP. Could I find them by asking at the airport info desk? Hmmm getting there at night time would be hard in any case I think - maybe it's best just to rest a couple of hours in the airport then and get the bus to Santo Domingo in the early morning.

On the other hand your suggestions for the area sound interesting also, tjmurray - I'll see.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Actually I didn't mean to seek adventure in Punta Cana - the adventure might be to get away from there without getting trapped by the AI business. Landing at night, speaking no spanish, having no info about the place and who knows...

Caba?as sounds good for that case, KateP. Could I find them by asking at the airport info desk? Hmmm getting there at night time would be hard in any case I think - maybe it's best just to rest a couple of hours in the airport then and get the bus to Santo Domingo in the early morning.

On the other hand your suggestions for the area sound interesting also, tjmurray - I'll see.

The taxi drivers at the airport won't have any problems with taking you to the closest place available and you would be a lot more comfortable than at the airport. Once you leave the customs area, there aren't many places to sit down and wait. If you want, send me a PM and I can have our excursions office confirm the rate and they can be waiting for you when you leave with instructions on where to take you.