Sosua Mini Bus Racket Lic. 1D0483

M

Mike Martin

I boarded a crowded mini bus lic. 1D0483 in Sosua at bus stop in front of Texico station. The fare is 25pesos to Rio San Juan 5 pesos additional to Playa Grandy. When I got off at Playa Grandy the driver and his assistant demanded 300pesos. I refused and tried to find police without success. It was rainy and beach pretty well deserted last Friday. They continued following and demanding 300pesos eventually I handed over 100pesos because they were becoming increasingly menacing. The return trip on a different mini bus was ok and I paid 30 pesos. I was told by friends in Sosua that the lisence plates are usually fakes purchased in Santo Domingo and can not be traced by police. I want to warn other travellers to be ware of lic plate 1D0483 if these thugs are still using it. Have others been vitimized? Any suggestions as to where I can report this incident? This driver also took pleasure in making local people run when he pretended he was going to run over them....not a nice guy to mess with.

J

Joe

Itis rackets like you experienced with mini bus lisence 1D0483 that encourage tourists to book all inclusive holiday packages. I hope you find out how to report the problem.