becoming a dominican citizen

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
I am an American women married to a Dominican man...I'm interested in applying for dual citizenship...what are the steps I need to take?

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
thank you...I was able to read that information and it made me decide to become a dominincan citizen....But....I'm still needing the steps on how to apply for citizenship...something else I read on this board was a little unclear to me...this is why I'm needing assistance...

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
I'm an American citizen and not a resident of the dominican republic....I'm married to a dominican...

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
you need a dominican attorney. unfortunately it's not like the US where you can file the docs yourself. you need to hire an attorney, spend the money, and then just hope and prey it doesn't take forever. I have a friend that has been waiting over 6 months and from what i understand it should not take more than 3.

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
i just got my dominican residency back in June 2006. I used an attorny and it only took 3 months. I'm Canadian, so i don't know if the process is really any different. I don't imagine it would be. It was easy, i just gave him the papers and 3 months later went with him and picked them up. Quick and painless. But it did cost $1000 US.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
i just got my dominican residency back in June 2006. I used an attorny and it only took 3 months. I'm Canadian, so i don't know if the process is really any different. I don't imagine it would be. It was easy, i just gave him the papers and 3 months later went with him and picked them up. Quick and painless. But it did cost $1000 US.
Cbarrin does not live in the DR, so I don't believe it's possible for her to obtain residency. I'm not sure if one can obtain citizenship without first becoming a legal resident, but I think that's what she is looking to do.

Apr 30, 2006
www.drlawyer.com
She doesn't need to become a legal resident first nor have to reside in the country to obtain her citizenship. She would apply directly for citizenship just for being married to a Dominican citizen (Does not apply for men married to a Dominican woman, discriminative but it's the law).

Alfredo Guzman, Esq.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I am a resident, and have cedula, married to Dominican and wanted citizenship. Quoted 300,000RD$. Think I'll do without!!! But I understand fromthe immigaration laws that once I have adopted dominican children that I no longer need residency??? Is that true?

Apr 30, 2006
www.drlawyer.com
They were clearly trying to rip you out since most reputable law firms charge US$1,000 or less.

Alfredo Guzman

I am a resident, and have cedula, married to Dominican and wanted citizenship. Quoted 300,000RD$. Think I'll do without!!! But I understand fromthe immigaration laws that once I have adopted dominican children that I no longer need residency??? Is that true?

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
To Matilda,
you can get it all by yourself that is not so difficult, you only need to speak spanish.
Most of it is the papers and copies you should have anyway, like birth certificate, buen conducta from the police here, marriage certificate, photos etc, all in spanish and certifigated officially and a simple letter for petition.
I maid it for one frend of mine who did not have enough money to renovate the papers of residency every two year nore for using lawyer for citizenship.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
I did my residency myself, mainly because I wanted to see the system up close; it wasnt bad, it didnt take all that much time, yes there were some inconveniences and misinformation, but it isnt impossible. But if you do not speak spanish or have no one to help you navigate a Dominican bureaucracy -- that is if you really dont understand how this society works, you may well be better off hiring a legit lawyer like Mr. Guzman.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The wife of a Dominican has the right to become a Dominican citizen by virtue of Article 11 of the Constitution and Article 1 of Law 1683 of 1948. The husband should file a petition at the Ministry of Interior with the following documents:

1) Certified copy of the marriage certificate, legalized at the Junta Central Electoral. If the certificate is in a foreign language, it should be translated into Spanish by a translator certified in the DR.

2) Certified copies of the birth certificates of the spouses.

3) 3 pictures, 2 x 2, of the wife.

4) Photocopy of the husband?s C?dula.

5) Photocopy of the wife?s Passport.

6) Stamps, gov?t fees, etc.

An interview of the couple will take place after the documents are reviewed.

The couple should be married for at least six months before submitting the application.

LoveMyDRHusband

Oct 10, 2005
Than why are my papers rejected?

I took my papers (marriage certificate, my birth and my husbands, photos, passport, husbands ID, ect..) to your office in San Francisco and now recently was told they were rejected cause I didnt take them to a consulate in the USA first. And cause my husbands birth certificate was old. If this is an important part how come I didnt know about it? I have called and spoke to a lawyer from your office, she has yet to get back to me and it has been a month. Mr. Guzman why am I feeling like I'm getting the run around from your office? Please help me Mr. Guzman I paid the fee and have nothing to show for it.