Malaria/who does/why/what & constipation

T

Tom

What all the concern is to my having contracted malaria, is it safe to travle to the Dr etc is insane

If you don't choose to believe me, don't

A very simple answer to ALL of the posts is simply that the prevention is a whole lot more fun than having the disease.

I wish I had taken preventive measures, didn't and am paying for it.

It is amusing that some people feel I should "prove it" Right now, one of the drugs I am taking for headaches is causing constipation, would anyone like me to mail them some proof when available?

Tom

D

Dana

I don't understand why everyone is taking the CDC's warning so lightly. I just paid to cancel a planned trip to Punta Cana in March because of the possibility of contracting malaria. With so many other beautiful caribbean islands to visit, why take the chance on the one area that is considered a concern. The last thing I want to do on vacation is fight mosquitos and wonder if I've contracted a deadly disease with no cure. I'm thankful to those, like Tom and others that have helped make me aware of this, since my travel agent failed to let me know!

D

DR1

In the US physicians are required to report cases of malaria to the authorities, or they risk losing their medical license. The Center for Disease Control has no report of malaria affecting a US tourist upon return from the DR.

T

Tom

Dana

I certainly wouldn't cancel my vacation due to the possibility of malaria, I would (I wish I did) take heed of warnings posted by reputable people such as ECH, the CDC etc and take preventative medication.

DR1 and many of the "followers" of this board are well known for trying to censor and hide anything that may portray the DR as less than perfect.

Last year when Hurricane Georges was predicted as a "Definite hit" by US Hurricane Hunter aircraft flying in the middle of the storm, Dolores said that I shouldn't "try to be a weather forecaster and Georges would definetly pass North of the DR" I don't think I need to reiterate the outcome of DR1's advice in that case.

If you read their "News," the consequences from malaria are a 10 minute test, two days of medication and a test that costs "less than one US dollar" Take your indication of truthfullness from there.

I suspect if it were anyone but myself or a select few others posting about malaria, it would have not generated any controversy. The DR1 "Sheep" are obsessed about anything I post, fearful I could be correct and that is unacceptable no matter the subject matter.

In retrospect, I would personally take the trip to the DR, taking precautions. As soon as I recover, I am returning to enjoy the vacation I missed. (I spent all but 2 days out of 21 in bed. I had a nasty case of the flu 2 days after arrival, thought that was all I had until it refused to leave and I was tested)

E

ECH, M.D.

There is a slight flaw to the reasoning here. There is no way of knowing if the physician complied with the law or not! This reporting system is based upon the "honor system" of reporting and gathering data and about the only way someone would "find out" if the attending physician did not report the case is if the patient required hospitalization for complications (hospital also has to report) or another physician was called in to consult (he may report) or if the diseases resulted in death and the autopsy revealed the cause of death, they would wonder why it was not reported. Some physicians do not report out of careless neglect, others out of willful neglect. I would like to THINK my colleagues were all honest and ethical but I am not naive enough to believe that. And then there are those patients who submit false names and information fearing investigation from epidimologists. You can't track a false name and address and you can't confirm the diagnosis. This is especially prevalent with sexually transmitted diseases.

S

Susanne

I must admit I find it unecessary to cancel a trip to the Dominican Republic too. The Chloroquine that you are recommended to take for the moment if you are going to Punta Cana is easy to use and with side effects that are mild and affect very few. It is not like the drug you have to take against malaria in for instance Africa or Thailand (that is the one that affects a few people psychologically).

Yes - there are other beautiful Caribbean islands but you will find "interesting" diseases on most of those, too. Just check with the CDC. This is basically what you have to cope with when you leave the pressures of the industrialized world behind. Take the necessary precautions and then enjoy yourself.

Have a nice holiday, Susanne

M

Michael

yes, well, in all fairness to all of us. If Tom really had Malaria and wants us to take him seriously, why does he not contact the CDC, or make sure his doctor does? I personally will not believe what he says until the CDC is alerted.

E

ECH, M.D.

It is NOT the patient's responsibility to submit reports to the CDC or Public Health. It is the PHYSICIAN who must make these reports. It is the physician who knows (or should know) the protocol, the requirements and the information necessary. NOT THE PATIENT. And I do not think it is the patient's responsibility to monitor the physician and see he is doing his administrative tasks. The average patient does not know what diseases are reportable, where to report them or how to report them.

M

Michael

True to a point, but why, in all fairness to the rest of us, should we belive him, Doctor? If he is so bent on pushing this Malaria thing why does he not simply make sure the CDC is contacted? After the lengths he's gone to on this message board, and after assorted threatening emails to myself for not believing him, simply making sure his doctor has contacted the CDC seems like an easy and responsible move. But he has done nothing of the sort, and continues to malign those who do not believe him. Surely I wouldn't waste my time arguing with board members if I had Malaria. I would simply make sure the proper authorities were alerted, and thereby prove myself. Certainly the CDC does not intend to publish his personal info, so what is he afraid of? After my initial post he contacted me, asking me for my social security # and credit card #s to prove who I am, and made the foolish comparison between that personal info and reporting his Malaria to the CDC. That was a ridiculous comparison, and smacked of an underhanded ploy on his part. Did he really think I would be prompted into giving him that info? Why would he even ask for my personal info? He makes no sense, and his legal threats are childish. I simply don't believe him and am left wondering what his motives are.

M

mina

Re: Tom and EVERYBODY!

This is becoming a true mess!

Firstly, if anything we should be concerned about Tom himself!!!

Who cares if his doctor hasn't reported anything to the CDC!!!

What is good is that Tom had shared with us the fact that he has contracted malaria. It was very good of him to do that and in so doing he is trying to spare the rest of us from the same. A true humanitarian! Thank you TOM!!! May your recovery be speedy!!!

His doctor's failure to pass on the case to the CDC may have many reasons. What if Tom is an illegal alien in the US? What if he is forced to get underground medical help?

I read many messages on this board about him being a liar and a phony, it is like being in a small village of nasty old women!!

Take a rest from all this maliciousness everybody and make the new year one for good health and good humans!

CHEERS!

Mina

S

Susanne

Re: Tom and EVERYBODY!

I totally agree, Mina

Apart from that, Tom's case may or may not have been reported. But the latest official figure from Europe is now 12 tourists reported ill with malaria from the Bavaro/Punta Cana area within the last four weeks. So whether or not Tom has malaria - and I personally cannot see why on Earth he should be lying about it - doesn't really matter. Malaria is there. No need to panic, don't abort your trip - just consider Chloroquine profylaxis and other mosquitoe preventing meassures. Better safe than sorry. Enough said.

Regards, Susanne