Car Rental

Status
Not open for further replies.

joujoukim

Oct 30, 2006
Will be in Caberete April 2007. Do you advise renting a car? There are places my family are interested in visiting (Ocean World, Columbus Park-if they are open, etc.) Can we get a taxi to these places?
Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I just want to say that a good friend of mine was taken by ALAMO rentals....he had a tree limb fall on his vehicle as he drove over the Tourist Highway going to Sosúa. Messed up the windscreen and roof line big time. he HAD taken out insurance. BUT they told him that the damages were not covered since he did not have the "glass" insurance....Took $600 of his hard earned dollars...His Canadian Credit Card Co. only insured him in Canada!!

Just in case.

Heck, you can get to those places by gua-gua! And it would be a real fun experience....ask one of the local folks at your hotel to show you how to do it. DIRT cheap!....

Good luck,

HB

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Yes you can get taxis. Ask or wait and someone will tell you approximate rates from Cabarete to the places you've mentioned. Example: POP airport to Sosua (about half-way to Cabarete+ $20 USD).

There may also be organised trips to some places that you want to visit -- at less than taxi fare.

Driving is a little different. DR driving includes awarenes of these: that traffic signs and lights and lanes are only suggestions; there will always be someone who wants to pass you; road surfaces can change from smooth to axle-breaker in an instant; if you injure a dominicano you will go to jail (for a while); rental companies have been known to try it on (but some are reputable).

Status
Not open for further replies.