Cell phone access

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxaluna50

Nov 17, 2006
We are leaving tomorrow (11.18.06) for Cabarete. We forgot to check about cell phone access. We have Verizon. Does anyone have any information about which services work in that area? Thanks and regards.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
You can roam with Verizon from the US in the DR, but they charge quite a bit. They told me, when I added international calling to my plan, that their international rate to the DR was $1.79 a minute. You might want to consider using prepaid calling cards instead - calling from a land line. That is the cheapest way to call to the US.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
You can buy the cards here (Communicards from Verizon Dominicana). They charge, I think, around 8 pesos a minute (approximately 25 cents) with taxes included. If you buy one in the US, look for the ATT Cards from Sam's Club and make certain that you have a LOCAL or DR Toll-free number to call. US toll-free numbers are NOT toll-free here.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Roaming in DR, calling US is 69 cents a minute with Verizon... not bad. Also, in Cabarete, there are several call centers, including a Verizon Call center. Sometimes they have a "sale" to the US for as little as 5 pesos a minute.

olddog

Jul 14, 2006
Hi...

I presume my unlocked GSM phone (I use Cingular in Florida) will fit the bill and allow me to get that little local card for a
moderate" fee...

What say you?

Thanx

Phil

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, go to an Orange dealer for the SIM card and prepaid card. I have a phone that I use with Cingular when in the US using their SIM card and prepaid.

olddog

Jul 14, 2006
Thanx, Ken....

Sorta figured that but first hand knowledge helps a ton.

Have a happy turkey day (if in US) otherwise, thanx again...

Phil

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
someone told me last week that since i am a frequent visitor i should just buy a phone in the DR, activate it, and use it everytime i visit and keep my US phone for US use. or should i just get an international calling plan or just keep changing out the cards ?

Status
Not open for further replies.