Cider! Where can i get it......

Fresh one

Nov 2, 2006
Hello, on a recent trip to the DR I was asked if I had ever had Benaidix (Hope that?s how you spell it) I don?t think its manufactured in the DR. However when I was told it was a cider I wanted to keep away (Hate the stuff) but was pleasantly surprised when we got some and mixed it with Red Bull. Yummmmmmmm

Anyhow I?m back in the UK and want to try and locate some for my xmas festivities....

Can anyone tell me if you can get it in the UK? Or s it just a DR thing like Brugal :( Please tell me its not......

You Domincans keep all the best stuff.....

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
La Benedicta

It's been newly promoted in the mass media as "la premium". The flashy blue bottle is extremely popular in the barrios (Santo Domingo and Santiago). Many colmadones have run out.

Fresh one

Nov 2, 2006
Thats great i was having trouble finding it. I should of paid more attention when drinking it...... Its good stuff.

So is it manufactured in the DR then?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Sidra = sweet, sparkling apple wine. Typical of the Spanish region of Asturias. It's known as Pomagne (as in pomme (apple) champagne) in the UK.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
La Benedicta is manufactured and distributed by Miguel Barcelo P. & Company, Santiago, DR.

Fresh one

Nov 2, 2006
Sidra = sweet, sparkling apple wine. Typical of the Spanish region of Asturias. It's known as Pomagne (as in pomme (apple) champagne) in the UK.

You sure? I think ive had Pomagne before and it wasnt to good! Ive found the website for Benedicta so now all i have to do is figure out the spanish its certinly fun. Thanks for your help.

You lot are great ;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Maybe it's not exacty the same as pomagne. I'd guess it was sweeter. The closest thing would be Spanish sidra from Asturias then.

Fresh one

Nov 2, 2006
Pomagne? Isn't it simply cider in the UK, Strongbow and such?

Oh will if its just normal cider then its not what i was thinking of. I can not stand the taste, smell or anything related to cider (Had a very bad experience when I was about 15, never again, I was grounded for a month and I remember my mum was disgusted) Bad memories hahaha

I will just have to see if I can get it in Europe somewhere?? I think this will turn into the mission I had last year with Brugal!

Like I said before how come you always get the good stuff!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Pomagne is sparkling apple wine. Cider is an apple-based, beer-like brew, and is not really that sweet.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Oh will if its just normal cider then its not what i was thinking of. I can not stand the taste, smell or anything related to cider (Had a very bad experience when I was about 15, never again, I was grounded for a month and I remember my mum was disgusted) Bad memories hahaha
You and 99% of the population of the UK! :cheeky: Luckily not me, I grew up in a place where there are British pubs but no real drinking age laws or closing times. We Mediterraneans have a much healthier and relaxed attitude to drinking.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Pomagne is sparkling apple wine. Cider is an apple-based, beer-like brew, and is not really that sweet.

OK, I never knew. I've had sidra in Asturias and cidre in Brittany and always thought Strongbow would be the same. Never too old to learn, thanks. BTW, the French version from Brittany comes in different versions, brut and doux, so something for every taste. Maybe one tastes more like Bendicta?

Fresh one

Nov 2, 2006
Lucky for some.... The rest of us had to hang around in parks with a bottle of cheap cider, get drunk and throw up at the end of the night, then face your mum the next day. No wonder us brits have the reputation we have.

However I am now a very responsible drinker unless I?m in the DR that is, then Brugal & Presidente flows???..

Fresh one

Nov 2, 2006
just had an email from the manufacture of La Benedicta they said it is not available in the UK YET.... So thats a good sign :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
La Benedicta is manufactured and distributed by Miguel Barcelo P. & Company, Santiago, DR.
I'm a fan of hard cider here in the states. I tried some La Benedicta in October @ Chino in Samana, and found it quite refreshing and good. Definitely worth a try.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Mmmmmmm... La Benedicta!!

I am now officially hooked on this stuff, to the extent that I drank cerveza only when I couldn't get it on my last vacation earlier this month. I find it very refreshing, and although it is 6% alcohol, you would never know to taste it. I would describe it as crisp and slightly tart, but not sour.

Most bars and colmados have it, and it's a bit pricier than Presidente, but requires less to get the "desired effect". A large bottle was RD 100 at La Canita and RD 62 at Supermercado Jose Louis (both in Puerto Plata).

guititio

Nov 30, 2006
If cider as most people know it here, specially spaniards, is what comes from Spain, and what most people use for weddings when they can't afford champaigne, then Benedicta is not Cider. It is nothing but a mix of water, distilled alcohol, apple flavoring and CO2 (gas). It is thou quite refreshing due in part to the CO2 bubbles, except for me I can't drink more than half a bottle. The hangover is too much.
Another company tried to compete with bendicta, I think it was vinicola del norte but can't remember the name of the product, it went out the market as fast as it came in. Still, this product did taste like true cider. But I'd prefer Benedicta over it.

Maggie6872

Jul 18, 2005
Since you're located in the UK, have you tried a Scrumpy Jack's?
That would be my favorite.....
I'm off to find some of that La Benedicta....I'm curious.... and thirsty!