Where can I get art in the capital and not get ripped off?

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Any place in the capital outside the tourist areas where I can get some artwork without getting ganked?

I just need to get a simple canvas, not too large, depicting campesino life. I remember seeing alot of this stuff being sold right by the Zapata hotel in Boca Chica but never cruised over there because I already knew I was going to get hammered on the price. I don't mind paying, I just mind very much being taken for a sucker, as any of us would. Thanks in advance.

Aug 19, 2004
The main centre in Santo Domingo is the Marcado Modelo on Mella - though this is very much for the tourists and you would need to haggle. You may also find some art works in the larger supermarkets (such as La Serana).

Santo Domingo has a large number of commercial galleries dealing in recognised Dominican artists. Candido Bido has his own gallery near the National Palace (off Bolivar) and may be of interest.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
speaking of art..can anyone point me in the right direction to understand the history behind the wooden masks and other wooden art i see in the DR..is this Taino culture ?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you want cheap oils, just run along the Malecon. You'll have to haggle.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Wooden masks:
Haitian imports. Tainos did some work in stone. Lotsa fakes out there. Go to Centro León in Santiago to see some of the real stuff.

HB

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Berzin,

I don't recall if you entered my mom's living room when you came over for the barbeeque. You would have noticed A LOT of art in her walls. I tell her that she has turned the house into a freakin' museum lol.

She has some connects in Santiago. If you are willing to make the trip let me know.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If all you want is "The Velvet Elvis" style paint by number artwork that is sold in Boca Chica, El Malecon, and Sosua Beach, then be prepared for a 20 minute negotiation. A fair price is usually (1/4 or less) of what they ask for.

Tambo

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Berzin,

I don't recall if you entered my mom's living room when you came over for the barbeeque. You would have noticed A LOT of art in her walls. I tell her that she has turned the house into a freakin' museum lol.

She has some connects in Santiago. If you are willing to make the trip let me know.

I am thinking that I should leave it for another trip, seeing as I do not want to get one of those paint by number "Velvet Elvis" joints that Tamborista mentioned.
I will probably be able to make it to Santiago on my March trip-I'll have more time then.
No, I did'nt get to check out the paintings but now I wish I did so that I could have a better idea of what I need to look for. The painting is actually for a friend of mine who wants something authentic. But I will be in touch for my March trip. Thanks alot!!

Aug 19, 2004
Kyle - in Santo Domingo try the Musuem of the Dominican Man - excellent collection of masks.

In Santiago there is a private Folklore Musuem between the main market and the cathedral in an old wooden house (I need to check the guide!) - they have an excellent collection and are keen to help. Centro Leon's permanent display is quite limited.

Aug 19, 2004
Kyle - may have mis-read your question - Museum of Dominican Man is one of the best for Taino artifacts - wood and stone.

The stuff you see in the markets is derived from Taino designs but purely for the tourist market.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let's be fair! the collection at the Centro León is outstanding for it's variety and authenticity. It is not a huge collection but it does boggle the mind....

The only wooden artifacts that I have seen (authentic) are a few Cemís and the odd platter....no masks. The Cemí inthe National Museum, the one with just one gold eye, was discovered by a friend of mine in a cave up inthe high, high mountains.

In Santiago, there are a couple of places where you can buy good art. One of them is just off Juan Pablo Duarte, across from Las Bromelias at the top of Reparto Panorama-across the street from the old site of Blandino...

If you are into good art, you might want to talk to Danilo de los Santos or Myrna Guerrero in Santiago. Depending on how deep your pockets are, there are a couple of excellent artists who usually have a painting or two available before Jorge Nader gets to them....

HB

Maggie6872

Jul 18, 2005
Art by suggestion

Are there any artists on the North coast who will do work by sugggestion? I have some things I wanted painted and can give them some pictures as reference. Am looking for reasonably priced canvas work

Aug 19, 2004
Hillbilly I disagree about your comments about Centro Leon which for its size (in my opnion) is a disappointment.

But agree the place on Juan Pablo Duarte has some great art and worth a visit.