Using credit cards in DR

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
has anyone had any experience calling a hotel and using a credit card to hold a reservation ? can this be trusted ? normally i just pay when i get there but the hotel (unnamed) is asking for a credit card to hold my room. western union is the other option...plz advise !!!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
has anyone had any experience calling a hotel and using a credit card to hold a reservation ? can this be trusted ? normally i just pay when i get there but the hotel (unnamed) is asking for a credit card to hold my room. western union is the other option...plz advise !!!

No problem, just make sure your CC can be used for International purchases. Some CC companies require you to notify them prior to use.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
ok thanks..i may have to do western union..it's the el candil hotel that wants a CC...

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Does the hotel have a web-site where the reservation can be entered? Probably more secure than giving your number over the telephone to an unidentified person.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
No problem, just make sure your CC can be used for International purchases. Some CC companies require you to notify them prior to use.

Notifying your credit card company before is a MUST! Learn from my mistake in March 2006 when I didn't know about this. I was buying from mostly Puerto Plata and Santiago and using credit cards and bank debit card to completely furnish a 4 bedroom villa with brand new everything! They all stopped working because of their fraud rules, it was a nightmare! Call them before you go and have the piece of mind knowing this won't happen to you.
The bank machine also swallowed my debit card at the Riu Bachata and it took 3 trips from Cabarete to Banco Popular in POP to finally get it back!!:disappoin :angry:
Steve

Last edited:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
el candil has no form on their website but petteri has asked me to WU him a deposit. i think this way is better...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Some credit card help prevent you getting screwed. AMEX, for example. If you have a problem (rental car company, hotels, etc.) they will withhold funds until the conflict can be resolved.

I've found that many hotels and rental car companies no longer require a CC or $$$ deposit to make a reservation after they know you.

If you get robbed, it's much better to have credit cards and travelers checks than cash. They offer better economic safety.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i agree. i am a newbie to the BC area. in sosua i just call ahead and get a room, no hassles....maybe the manager at the el candil is hoping i'm not an "ugly american"....hahaha

jrzguy2

Sep 1, 2004
I have stayed at Candil many times. once 2 or 3 years they asked for a credit card...but they didnt ask for one this past year when i made my reservation.

THE WU sounds like a good idea. (BTW...i have never had any problem whatsover at Candil and always highly recommend it to folks).