Less Dominican Deportations?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The US Supreme Court ruled Tuesday by a 8 to 1 margin that a noncitizen is not subject to mandatory deportation for a drug crime that while a felony in the state where the crime was prosecuted, is only a midemeanor under federal law.

This could have an impact on the deportations to the DR because of certain drug related crimes. Less criminal elements being sent back? Lets hope so.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/06/washington/06scotus.html

Lopez, Jose v. Gonzales, Alberto (US Atty Gen) / Toledo-Flores, Reymundo v. U.S. - Medill - On the Docket

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
I'm sure Americans are overjoyed...:rolleyes:

Nice try, sir. But since MOST Americans wouldn't know a Supreme Court clown even if it selected a comedian-in-chief for them, then your sarcasm is empty.

Hell, most Americans couldn't tell you an SCOTUS justice even if he made Italian gestures to them equivalent of a middle finger.

Hidalgo, thanks for the other link. By the way, there was no guessing as to who the lone dissenter was.

Gonzales and co. are probably reconsidering the Scalito and Roberts choices just based on this outcome. Too late. But they'll deliver in due time.

Good for the little guy.

-The Kid

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
um, I think cobra is getting at the case some druggies may not be deported now.

Nice try, sir. But since MOST Americans wouldn't know a Supreme Court clown even if it selected a comedian-in-chief for them, then your sarcasm is empty.

Hell, most Americans couldn't tell you an SCOTUS justice even if he made Italian gestures to them equivalent of a middle finger.

I bet you Dominicans know even less at it relates to DR's highest judges. ..similar story probably true in most contries of the world with a similar jusdicial system.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
I bet you Dominicans know even less at it relates to DR's highest judges. ..similar story probably true in most contries of the world with a similar jusdicial system.

I agree with you. But the poster mentioned Americans. Besides, the DR's SCJ leaves a lot to be desired.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
um, I think cobra is getting at the case some druggies may not be deported now.
^^^yup.

Looks like the trash stays in the house.

Although I uinderstand...and agree...with the ~rationale~ of the ruling by the Supremes. Deportation is a Federal, not a state, issue. However, that could be easily changed by legislation, whereby deportation could occur upon conviction and prison release for ANY felony, state or Federal.

S_o_t_n just wants to find *any* flaw I may make. I'm flattered, really :). It's quite the compliment, as he's a bright guy. Just misguided;).

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
I agree with you. But the poster mentioned Americans. Besides, the DR's SCJ leaves a lot to be desired.
exactly, Americans wont be overjoyed by the fact (as decided by the U.S. Supreme Court) that some 'foreign' druggies that would have been deported out of the U.S now have a great chance at staying in the U.S.

edited to add: irrigardless of whether is was a 'sound' decesion, as based in the laws and the U.S. Constitution.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
who worries about foreign druggies in the US anyway ? they don't directly affect my way of life...i don't even live in an area where there's scum like that. it just makes for interesting reading while i'm taking a dump...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
who worries about foreign druggies in the US anyway ? they don't directly affect my way of life...i don't even live in an area where there's scum like that. it just makes for interesting reading while i'm taking a dump...
Well good for you.

Come live in my community and see what havoc they cause. I had to install video cameras in my business to keep them out.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006

You would hope those druggies get flushed along with the rest.lol:laugh: