Cayo Levantado

meatball

Dec 6, 2006
Just wondering how this compares to Saona Isle. We're thinking about going to the new resort in February. We have been to Saona and were very impressed. The sand and the water was amazing. Anyone out there been to both?
Thanks in advance.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Based on one trip only I'd say it CL) was a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live (stay) there.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Just wondering how this compares to Saona Isle. We're thinking about going to the new resort in February. We have been to Saona and were very impressed. The sand and the water was amazing. Anyone out there been to both?
Thanks in advance.
I have been to both islands on day trip; the journey to get to Saona is more fun then to get to Cayo Levantado. Both have nice beaches, but I notice on Soana Island, they were bringing the garbage back to Bayahibe, on Cayo Levantado, not really. To build a resort on such a fragile environment as Cayo Levantado IMO, is just a disaster waiting to happen. They are too many questions of "What if?" on Cayo Levantado, and I will not want to be a part of it, willing or not.

WebDev

Shazo1

Nov 9, 2006
I have been to both islands on day trip; the journey to get to Saona is more fun then to get to Cayo Levantado. Both have nice beaches, but I notice on Soana Island, they were bringing the garbage back to Bayahibe, on Cayo Levantado, not really. To build a resort on such a fragile environment as Cayo Levantado IMO, is just a disaster waiting to happen. They are too many questions of "What if?" on Cayo Levantado, and I will not want to be a part of it, willing or not.

WebDev

Webdev, Can you be a bit more explicit with your comments, I am holidaying on CL in May 07, and your comments have really concerned me, I thought it was going to be magnificent, never having been to the DR before, and seeing that the hotel was 5* +, I was really excited, and now you are saying Fragile Environment ??? I am asuming you mean with the Garbage, that daytrippers were leaving a lot of Garbage on CL, but taking it with them from Soana??

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Webdev, Can you be a bit more explicit with your comments, I am holidaying on CL in May 07, and your comments have really concerned me, I thought it was going to be magnificent, never having been to the DR before, and seeing that the hotel was 5* +, I was really excited, and now you are saying Fragile Environment ??? I am asuming you mean with the Garbage, that daytrippers were leaving a lot of Garbage on CL, but taking it with them from Soana??

PM me and I will respond with my concerns on building a resort on a very small island, did I say very small island? Where everything is braught in by boat, including fuel etc.

WebDev

Last edited:

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Resorts on islands, even small ones, are common throughout the Bahamas and the Caribbean. Their trash and wastes have usually been dealt with adequately. However, in the case of Cayo Levantado, it's NOT the resort that is of concern, but the trash and wastes generated by the hoards of tourists who visit the island's beach daily. The local solution had been to bury trash on the island but it needs to be taken by boat back to the mainland and be disposed of properly. The question of waste was another matter (with no restroom facilities available you can imagine where that went). With the Pinero group taking over the island's government-owned hotel and dumping millions of dollars into refurbishing it, I'm sure they won't allow trash nor waste to continue to foul the island.

Shazo1

Nov 9, 2006
Resorts on islands, even small ones, are common throughout the Bahamas and the Caribbean. Their trash and wastes have usually been dealt with adequately. However, in the case of Cayo Levantado, it's NOT the resort that is of concern, but the trash and wastes generated by the hoards of tourists who visit the island's beach daily. The local solution had been to bury trash on the island but it needs to be taken by boat back to the mainland and be disposed of properly. The question of waste was another matter (with no restroom facilities available you can imagine where that went). With the Pinero group taking over the island's government-owned hotel and dumping millions of dollars into refurbishing it, I'm sure they won't allow trash nor waste to continue to foul the island.

Well that is a little more assuring for me.................I was getting quite worried, and wondered whether I had made the biggest mistake of my life, especially, as I have never visited the DR before.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
CL is a small, but gorgeous island. When we lounged on the CL beach, a parade of work boats were coming and going around the other side of the island, some carrying big box trucks. I ~assume~ the garbage, as well as all supplies/food/etc. was being brought to and from that way.

But it IS a small island. They were finishing the resort there, but I kept wondering if folks there would get island fever staying there. Certainly opinions vary, but it would make more sense to me to stay on the mainland and make a couple of day trips to CL. There is sooooo much to see and do on Samana, that being stuck on an island, no matter how beautiful, seems to be a waste in enjoying the Dominican Experience. It's a RD$1200-1600 round trip expense to be ferried to the mainland for a couple.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
We went in "off season" and had to take a small boat, just the two of us.

Can you estimate how many tourists they were at that time, "off season" time?
I never saw more then 30-50 visitors at times. Maybe long weekends or holidays is a different story.

WebDev

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Can you estimate how many tourists they were at that time, "off season" time?
I never saw more then 30-50 visitors at times. Maybe long weekends or holidays is a different story.

WebDev
We were there mid-October during the week. Prolly 30 people on the beach. It was pretty quiet. GREAT Pina Colada and Coco frio con ron.

The tourist/trinket vendor ratio was around 4:1.

Shazo1

Nov 9, 2006
It's a RD$1200-1600 round trip expense to be ferried to the mainland for a couple.

That is approx ?18 sterling, which I would not claim to be extortionate, perhaps it is if you wanted to do it every day, but the reason for our holiday is to see some of the DR so we will take a couple of trips, that will show us the country at its best, and the rest of our holiday is just that, a holiday, where we want to relax and unwind from everyday life.

I must say from past experiences and other Forums on other Hotels in other Countries, some people expect more than others, and what some people seem not to understand, is the countries you are probably visiting are a poor country, and wages are substandard compared to the country that you live in, I found this to be the case on a Visit to Zante (Greece) this year, we stayed in a 5 star hotel, but compared to UK 5 *, it was not on a par, but for Greek standards, it suppassed itself, but the number of people that were complaining about something or nothing was amazing, my philosophy is " Your Holiday is What YOU make it!!" ..............obviously its nice to have a good start............i.e. good hotel (clean), good food, and more importantly...................good weather, and last but not least..........good company.

As long as my bed sheets are clean, and the food is good, and the weather is kind to me, then I am going to enjoy my holiday whatever, and hope to meet some nice people along the way..................cus at the end of the day, I have booked it now, and other than cancelling and loosing some money, there is not a lot I can do about it.

I do appreciate everyones comments though, and I will keep them all in mind, when I visit, and expect the worse, and perhaps then it can only get better.

Thanks again Webdev for your information.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Thanks again Webdev for your information.

Shazo,

With a philosophy like " Your Holiday is What YOU make it!!" you gone have a great holiday no matter what, by the time you get to DR more information on Cayo Levantado will filter out and you will be informed on what to expect.

Regards,
WebDev

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraboy
It's a RD$1200-1600 round trip expense to be ferried to the mainland for a couple.

so what's good to pay? who do one hire to go to CL?
When we wanted to go to CL from the malecon of SB de Samana, there was only one boat and ttwo guy available. We didn't have a lot of choice.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
$1,200 to $1,600 is NOT unreasonable to pay for passage to the Cayo from Samana Harbor. Do the math: gasoline is $120rd/$4usd per gallon and they will burn about 4 gallons for the round trip. Then figure the cost of an outboard motor: almost $5,000usd for a 60 to 75hp motor that we pay about $3,500 for in the US, a 20' fiberglass open boat for over $6,000usd that we pay about $3,500 for, and then remember all this has to be amortized in less than 4 to 5 years which is about the useful life of a motor in this harsh environment here. Fiberglass hulls last longer.

And for the kicker, just like those of us in the hotel business, they only work about 4 to 6 months out of the year and have to make a year's worth of expenses during that short period of time.

And here in Las Galeras, passage rates to Playa Rincon and Playa Fronton are about the same, $1,200 to $1,600rd for a boat with 2 people. When they pack in 4 or more, the fare drops to $400rd per person for Rincon and $600 per person for Fronton. And depending on how hungry the captain and his family is, he might drop the rates a little just to get the business.

It never ceases to amaze me just how little many people realize the true costs of things in the DR. It costs a LOT for us to bring you paradise.

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Shazo, with an attitude like yours, I wouldn't be surprised if you'll become an expat in the DR.

With that said, I love Samana---definately my cup of tea. Just some suggestions: read some of the history of Samana; visit the Chinese restaurant and "La Hacienda" restaurant (both are in the main city of Samana: Santa Barbara de Samana--aka Samana, Samana). This is a very safe peninsula--you should definately take an evening to walk around the Malecon (the coast of the city) and walk about through town watching everyday dominicans go about their day. Ask to be taken to El Salto Limon (a waterfall) there are different "paradas" (stops) that can take you--I recommend Parada Maria y Miguel...they provide lunch as well...and it is delicious and very inexpensive; you get to the waterfall by horse (in about half hour) from the top of mountains (don't worry, it's safe) and you get to view the waterfall from up above. I recommend doing this excursion early so that by the time you finish, you can have the same person who dropped you off, pick you up (or you can hitchhike like I have) and take you to Las Terrenas (beach town filled w/ souvenirs, dominicans, and foreigners (many who live there full/part time of the year). El Rincon beach is an absolute must. I suggest getting there by renting ATVs since the road is bumpy but oh so worth it (you can have someone take you in a pickup truck if you prefer). This beach has a river that meets the sea--so you have a cold super clear river on one side and a warm, also clear beach on the other and white sand in between. All this with a scenery of palm treed filled mountains. There is also an informal restaurant ran by a humble dominican family on the beach (at the beach).

I'm sure these excursions would probably be offered to you by the hotel activities, but incase you wanted to venture out on your own a bit...

Hope you have a good time.

Shazo1

Nov 9, 2006
CarpeDream,

Thanks for your post, that has been very informative, and has brightened up my perceptions of the Area again, I shall definately be out and about, what I dont do, is visit a new country, and just sit by the pool................I like to visit the country, and learn about their cultures, there way of life, but also to relax and enjoy my surroundings if possible.

I am really looking forward to it, and what makes it better is we will now be flying into Samana Airport, so we wont have a 3-4 hr drive after a 9hr flight.