Question about Las Galeras

mmcmilan

Dec 7, 2006
I am planning to stay in Las Galeras (Samana) this April and of course have a couple of questions:

1)Is that place overcrowded at begining of April?
2)Is there any place to rent a kayak or row boat? How much it cost?
3)What is best way to get there from USA? Price/comfort?
4)I read that there was a robery crime recently? How bad is that?
5)Is it safe to swim there?

Thanks for any response.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
With Easter our busiest time of the high season and coming on April 8th, the week leading up to it will see most hotels filling up for that weekend not only in Las Galeras but all over the island. However the Las Galeras area has a lot of undeveloped area so it won't seem that crowded, with larger crowds of mostly Dominicans at several of the area beaches.

You may be able to rent a sea kayak at the big, all-inclusive resort here, Casa Marina Bay. I have no idea how much they cost.

Most every one flies to get here. Prices will vary depending where you are flying from.

We have very little crime in Las Galeras, mostly petty stuff. Don't worry about it.

In 10 years I've only seen one shark, a 6' bull. He was caught at night off Cape Samana where you won't be swimming anyway. I've never seen anything other than the occasional Moray eel or barracuda in all my years of snorkling here. Don't worry about it.