Should I have my baby in DR???

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
Not sure if this issue has been addressed before.

I'm a American-born Dominican and have been contemplating on having a baby...my question is the following:

If I decide to have my baby in the DR, will the baby still be considered a US citizen since one of the parents is already an American citizen or is this untrue?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you have lived in the United States for at least two years after your 14th birthday and are a US citizen, you can pass on the US citizenship. Your children would be dual citizens -- which has more advantages than disadvantages in today's world.

Unless you were a high risk candidate for giving birth, I think giving birth in the DR is a good option because here the whole hospital and family and friends will pamper you. Being pregnant in Santo Domingo is a good experience -- you don't have to make lines, there is a general very positive attitude towards mothers-to-be.

So to answer your question... the baby will qualify for US citizenship, but you will have to apply at the US citizenship section of the US consulate in the DR. From what I understand it is a simple process once you can demonstrate your having lived in the US for two years after your 14th birthday.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
If you have lived in the United States for at least two years after your 14th birthday and are a US citizen, you can pass on the US citizenship. Your children would be dual citizens -- which has more advantages than disadvantages in today's world.

Unless you were a high risk candidate for giving birth, I think giving birth in the DR is a good option because here the whole hospital and family and friends will pamper you. Being pregnant in Santo Domingo is a good experience -- you don't have to make lines, there is a general very positive attitude towards mothers-to-be.

So to answer your question... the baby will qualify for US citizenship, but you will have to apply at the US citizenship section of the US consulate in the DR. From what I understand it is a simple process once you can demonstrate your having lived in the US for two years after your 14th birthday.

This is very interesting. Is this across the board no matter what your socioeconomic factors?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Not sure if this issue has been addressed before.

I'm a American-born Dominican and have been contemplating on having a baby...my question is the following:

If I decide to have my baby in the DR, will the baby still be considered a US citizen since one of the parents is already an American citizen or is this untrue?

Pielmorena you yourself are an American citizen because you were born in the US so your child would be an American born abroad.

Below is what the US website says about that;

Documentation of U.S. Citizens Born Abroad

Documentation of United States Citizens Born Abroad Who Acquire Citizenship At Birth
The birth of a child abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible to the nearest American consular office for the purpose of establishing an official record of the child?s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record is in the form of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America.

This document, referred to as the Consular Report of Birth or FS-240, is considered a basic United States citizenship document. An original FS-240 is furnished to the parent(s) at the time the registration is approved.

REPORTING THE BIRTH

A Consular Report of Birth can be prepared only at an American consular office overseas while the child is under the age of 18. Usually, in order to establish the child?s citizenship under the appropriate provisions of U.S. law, the following documents must be submitted:

(1) an official record of the child?s foreign birth;
(2) evidence of the parent(s)? U.S. citizenship (e.g., a certified birth certificate, current U.S.passport, or Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship);
(3) evidence of the parents? marriage, if applicable; and
(4) affidavits of parent(s)? residence and physical presence in the United States.

Here is the source

Documentation of U.S. Citizens Born Abroad

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would advise you to have the baby in the U.S. It greatly reduces the problems associated with dealing with the US Embassy in the DR. I know a Domican banker that has had her three children in the US. She lives here, but has a permanent or 10 year visa, and goes back to give birth in the US.

Don?t ask me about not being able to fly when you are pregnant, because she does. Maybe a loose outfit and a few well placed pesos.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I would advise you to have the baby in the U.S. It greatly reduces the problems associated with dealing with the US Embassy in the DR. I know a Domican banker that has had her three children in the US. She lives here, but has a permanent or 10 year visa, and goes back to give birth in the US.
The difference is that your friend is a US resident, not a citizen, and hence her children, if not born on US soil, will not be US citizens. (Additionally, if she gives birth in DR, she might have to apply for residency for her newborn kid).

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The difference is that your friend is a US resident, not a citizen, and hence her children, if not born on US soil, will not be US citizens. (Additionally, if she gives birth in DR, she might have to apply for residency for her newborn kid).

Who said she was a Permanent Resident? She was traveing witha Visa. She is a Domincan citizen and not a Permanent Resident of the US.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In retrospect, this would be a different situation. The OP is a US citizen and my friend is not. Even though, I would still recommend having the baby in the US.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Who said she was a Permanent Resident? She was traveing witha Visa. She is a Domincan citizen and not a Permanent Resident of the US.

We are reversing the tables here from the original question but yes any Dominican could give birth in the US all they need to do is get a visa ;)

Oh wait that's the hard part isn't it :paranoid:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. When you said she,"has a permanent or 10 year visa,.."; I inferred that she was a permanent resident.

Sep 19, 2005
I HAD a post in this thread....I know because it is in my subscribed threads still...........but now its gone....

why does this happen.....I mentioned a buddy who delivers babies.....is that against the rules?

bob

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a friend of mine who's in her sixth month will go to the US to have her child. she believes not only medical service is better there but also she can count on her family (mainly mum, of course) help.
i don't know about DR but in polonia my dad was no help to my mum after she gave birth, he was completely sloshed for three days out of the joy to have a son. not too bad, considering that HIS father went to every single house in his village to celebrate a son after three daughters. rumour has it he's been drunk for over a week and more than 30 litres of moonshine were consumed....
and, i have heard that a citizenship/passport affair for the kid is much easier to deal with in the USA....