New sushi place

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Recently opened on Avenida Sarasota, where Lily Mei Chinese restaurant used to be - Sushi Ya! - you can eat in, take out, or phone for delivery. 809 331 1110. They also have a branch in Naco and one in Santiago. We ate there last night and it was quite good, but bear in mind I'm no expert. :)

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Recently opened on Avenida Sarasota, where Lily Mei Chinese restaurant used to be - Sushi Ya! - you can eat in, take out, or phone for delivery. 809 331 1110. They also have a branch in Naco and one in Santiago. We ate there last night and it was quite good, but bear in mind I'm no expert. :)

Chiri, thanks for the advice, and I'm not an expert either, more like a layman on the subject, but a fan nonetheless... There's also a new shusi place at the Bella Vista Mall, more like a carry-out... By the way, could you ask one of your friends in Aunt Clara's kitchen to suggest a good Peruvian ceviche place?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Why not post the question on the Dominican Cooking / Cocina Dominicana forums, Mirador?

If there was a Peruvian restaurant I would hope to be the first to know - I love Peruvian food. Ecuadorians also do ceviche, I wonder if anyone from the local Ecuadorian community has a restaurant?

We do have a SD-based Peruvian poster on DR1 - maybe she has some information.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am going to try the one in Santiago. It is just a few steps away from my front door. My son Marco like it and had their food brought into his room at the clinic.
He also liked Deal or No Deal and Blind Justice so i watch them too...

Oh man...

Hb

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
HB, we'll get some sushi in and raise a fr?a to Marco's memory with you next time we're in town. :)

Kiboko

Dec 26, 2006
Peruvian restaurant

There is a Peruvian-run restaurant that serves ceviche on 27 de febrero in Santo Domingo. I think it's called Cafe Maremonte, although the sign isn't at all obvious. It's a one-storey building on the north side of the road a few buildings east of the junction with C/ Dr. Defillo. Go through the side entrance to the courtyard with a swimming pool at the back. I know nothing about Peruvian food, so I can't tell you how authentic it is, but they have a yummy barbeque on Friday evenings. I do know a tiny bit about sushi, however, having lived in Japan for a few years, so I'm looking forward to trying out this new restaurant. Thanks for the information, Chiri!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks Kiboko - that's good news, especially as it's not too far from the Mirador and Chirimoya abodes. I'll look out for it next time I'm hurtling down 27 de Febrero.