Visiting Boca Chica in a week

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Hello all, I'm looking forward to visiting BC next week.

I'm looking for suggestions on restaurants and things to do....also looking for some guidance in the area as in grocery stores and the like, I've already got requests to bring home coffee, rum and cigars!

I'd like to do a day trip to SD and the Zona Colonial too.

I'll be in the area of El Candil

Any suggestions will be appreciated

:pirate:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
to me BC is the most boring place in the DR. but anyway i just came back from BC for 6 days so ask away. i stayed at the el candil...

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
There used to be sort of a crazy wild and ok...seedy night life.

But even last year BEFORE the curfew....they were cracking down at night.

Its been very difficult to find a travel buddy this year. I am a total beach bum...so i am happy swimming and snorkeling all day and going to other beaches in the area.

Most of my friends want night life...and i want the beach. I have night life here in nyc...i go to get away from that!

I am seriously thinking about not going this year. I want to see a couple of friends really bad....but i dunno..the trip reports are sounding really lame this year!

Lizzard

Sep 11, 2006
Like you jrzyguy I love Boca Chica for the beach and the the good company of a few friends that i have there and in Santo Domingo. Have had many fun nights down town I have an open mind and if you do its alot of fun love the people watching too. Was in Boca Chica in November and I am going back in February for 16 days cant wait. No its not the same as in the 90's but can't help myself still my favorite for a holiday. Have been to alot of other islands but my heart belongs to the D.R.
Lizzard aka Liz

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
Liz,

just go and have fun. BC is small but quiet and safe. the beach is nice, nightlife is ok especially when they closed the street off and have a big sort of block party. Duarte and the main highway seems like where you find most food, supermercados and pharmacy's. i stayed at el candil so the beach and the nightlife was only 3 blocks away. there will be many offers of "tour guides" by males so stay away from them as they want to charge you high prices for their services. the park is where you can catch the guaguas to go into SD or any other place. i just returned from 6 days there...

have fun !!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002

I'm looking for suggestions on restaurants and things to do....also looking for some guidance in the area as in grocery stores and the like, I've already got requests to bring home coffee, rum and cigars!

Pyratt, welcome to DR1.

Boca Chica is a very small town. You should find your way around quickly.

Regarding bringing back cigars, don't bother. Most of the better Dominican cigars, can be bought for less money in the US/Canada. Don't buy Cuban cigars in BC, they will all be counterfeit. As a matter of fact some of the Dominican cigars you buy, (including all the cigars on the beach) are counterfeit.

Stick to bring back coffee and rum.

Lizzard

Sep 11, 2006

Hi there as far as rum and coffee you can buy it at any of the grocery stores downtown. It is easy to get around and the restaurants all long duarte are good have never had a bad meal in Boca Chica. If you are looking for someone to show you around I have some good friends who speak english that I would be happy to set you up with for going into the capital or anything else. PM me if you are interested. Hope you have a great holiday!!! Mucho cervaza and brugal mmm yummy!!

Have one for me
Lizzard

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
Boca Chica

I just came back from the DR, and I can say that BC is just the place for guys,,,,during the day the beach is what you can read here in other posts in more detail and at night time, you see the same old thing up and down on Duarte.

There are few places to eat where service was good as well as the food.

Try Italy Italy,,, great pizza, and the place on Duarte with a fountain and lots of picnic and high tables,,, great German style food with a Dominican twist. Also D'Nancy behind the Hamaca, great Seafood Risotto(Asopao de mariscos)

I would recomend you check out Bella Vista on the beach, those guys there will treat you nice, if you like mixed drinks, they make them with fresh fruits, and for some reason, vendors were not on top of us all the time. They also offer a good menu and a very beach-bum-relax area plus free Internet.

I have been at EL Candil, and nothing but good things to say about them, from security to service.

Try posting again so you can hook-up with somebody,,,, if you are not into the night scene or being chased by babes, it can get boring if you don't have someone to share few drinks after the sunset and talk about everything and nothing at all. I was never in BC before all the clean up was done according to the posts here, but to me is a really working girl enviroment at night time.

We were there few days and after dinner, we walked up and down on Duarte, had couple of drinks and just did a bit of people watching,,,,,as we are not into the night scene either,, and I can't imagine a "solo" guy like you enjoying that.

PM for more details.

CB