Dolphins! Here we go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
So whats wrong in using this type of dolphin for food that is any different from using, say, salmon? ..is it an endanger species or something?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I don't get it...Ideally they should be free, but since they are already captured it sounds that if they are not sold to go "act" in The DR then they will be slaughtered for meat in Japan. It sucks for the dolphins, but I think if I was them I would be picking The DR right about now...

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
I don't get it...Ideally they should be free, but since they are already captured it sounds that if they are not sold to go "act" in The DR then they will be slaughtered for meat in Japan. It sucks for the dolphins, but I think if I was them I would be picking The DR right about now...

it's the same principle as not buying ivory, 'the elephant is already dead so why not?' But if there is a market for the animals, they will capture more. I bet they are worth more to the Japanese 'live' than as 'dead meat'. What we all should be doing is campaigning agaist the Japanese government, to get them to bring pressure to bear against these fishermen and to stop killing whales too.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
KeithF, so why shouldn't this type of dolphin be fished? ..is it an endanger species?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
A follow-up on this one .. in today's DR1 news ..

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]11. Please say no to dolphins
Diario Libre is reporting that close to 50 environmental and animal rights groups are asking President Leonel Fernandez to stop the entrance of 12 dolphins that the Ocean World water park has requested permission to import from Japan into the country. The letter was sent to the President and to the Tourism and Environment ministers. Idelisa Bonelly de Calventi, president of Fundemar, says that by allowing the dolphins into the country, the Dominican government would be supporting what she calls "brutal hunting."
[/FONT]

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Dominican large fish get hooked and harpooned ..

um, is she against Dominican fishermen "brutal hunding" in high sea too?

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I don't get it - are the dolphins an overfished endangered species?? If so then they should not be captured. If is a sustainable, abundant animal then what is wrong with eating some. I am much more worried about depleting tuna stocks.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
There are lots of species of Dolphins, some more endangered than others, and some very certainly on the UICN's red list of endangered species. With a quick search, I saw 32 types of Dolphins on the red list. I am by no means an expert, but I think this issue has more to do with the brutal capture and splitting up of families and pods, known to live together for a life time, of some of the most delightful creatures on the planet. There has been regular warnings in the ecological press over the past number of years that Dolphins and Whales are under extreme threat.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I think they will be fine and better off in their own ocean environment. But I do know people have different ideas about this, and I have no problem with anyone else's opinion.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Who gives a damn about 12 dolphins, my guess would be that 12 humans died in the DR yesterday due either to violence or a curable disease!!!!

Worry about them!!!

Some people have their priorities all ?F?ed up!!!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Why you and I need to care

.. about humans, about dolphins, about what is happening around us environmentally ... To care about environmental issues, dolphins included, does not exclude caring for human beings. In fact, it is the same thing. The environment supports us, does it not? It would be a good step to understand that environmental care includes care for humans. After all is said and done, we live here too, don't we?

No, I did not see Flipper as a child, in fact, I've never seen Flipper or Bambi or anything else in that genre - I also know very little about animal environmentalism or any kind of action there. I know more about reefs and reef protection, the close-in ocean habitat. But, I have sailed with, and played with Dolphins in the ocean. I also do not particularly lend support to these environmental groups having asked Fernadez to block the import of the Dolphins.

I am not sure what is right in this circumstance. It seems instead of discussion, we're getting comments focused on fighting an environmental debate. That is not where it is at, and it is not where I am at.

What I am sure of, is:
Dolphins help maintain natural fish resources and stocks. They are high level predators in their watery world and mainly prey on old and ill fish. In this way, they play an important role in fighting diseases among the fish population. It is said that by killing or capturing dolphins, we are killing the "sanitary police of the oceans", which may result in more diseases and diminished fish populations. To my understanding, to kill/capture a dolphin therefore means to directly damage sustainable fisheries.

Dolphins are intelligent, social and very very kind to humans. It just strikes me as completely wild to pay these kind animals back by capturing them in brutal ways, almost like kicking and beating your dog, you know!. It reminds me the the saying 'A dog is a man's best friend'. I think in the oceans, a dolphin is a man's best friend. Their brains are also about 20% bigger than a human brain.

Dolphins have a language - amongst themselves, each dolphin has a personal whistle, kinda like a name. They communicate with their own whistling speech patterns. So, they are identifiable to one another as unique. I don't know of any other species in the animal kingdom that have such a communication system. They also have the same senses that humans have, all of the senses, excepting smell.

These are the reasons that I am interested in what happens here. And I think, these are also some of the reasons why having environmental priorities are not "all ?F?ed up!" Environment and People are the same coin! It is not one against the other. It your life and your environment too, you know!

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
These 12 dolphins aren't even on the radar screen in the scheme of environmental issues IMHO.

There are far larger are issues such as global warming, deforestation, land & water pollution, etc. etc. etc. all killing the land, waterways & reefs from the bottom up, which affects all human and aquatic life.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
KeithF, so why shouldn't this type of dolphin be fished? ..is it an endanger species?

Because they are an inteligent, social animal? Do we have to wait until an animal is almost extinct before we give a damn? Because of the barbaric manner of their deaths?

Who gives a damn about 12 dolphins, my guess would be that 12 humans died in the DR yesterday due either to violence or a curable disease!!!!

Worry about them!!!

Some people have their priorities all ?F?ed up!!!

Since when has it been an 'either/or' situation? I 'care' about people, I can still find enough compassion within me to care about animals too. I can refuse to buy battery produced eggs because of the manner that the hens are kept in, I can buy organic pork because of the manner in which battery pigs are kept and yet still 'be able' to work as a nurse for a charity that supports people with disabilities.

Last edited by a moderator:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Because they are an inteligent, social animal?

A quick search: "The Bottlenose Dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) is the most common [...] dolphin species. It inhabits warm and temperate seas worldwide and may be found in all but the Arctic and the Antarctic ocean."

.. Because of the barbaric manner of their deaths?

I take it you don't it any fish?

p.s. Chris , babe I hear pigs have an even bigger brain and are much smarter ..

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
p.s. Chris, babe, I hear pigs can smell well, have a much bigger brain, and are much more intellegent ..

Status
Not open for further replies.