Spirit Airlines' "New" Baggage Policy

Jan 9, 2004
As of February 10, 2007, Spirit Airlines will only allow one "free" checked bag on its flights. The second bag that used to be "free" (up to 50lbs.) will now be $10.00. There are also fee increases on "over the limit bags." Check their website for further details. www.spiritair.com.

Can AA, Delta, Continental, etc., be far behind??????

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Oh man. You know what. Nothing surprises me. Holly cow that is really messed up though.

Jun 5, 2004
Wow!!! Well they are a low cost airline so they have to find some way to make up the money the loose especially when they sell tickets for a penny and 8 cents.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
This doesn't suprize me at all. A good friend who is a pilot with Spirit tells me that the Santo Domingo runs are the most overloaded in the company routes. Quite frequently about half the luggage has to be unloaded for the aircraft to meet its weights and balances requirement and then put on a second plane that is usually empty except for the extra luggage. You've seen it, a Dominican family returns from the states with a mound of luggage and packages, WAAAAY over the limit. Even American Airlines has to institute luggage restrictions at times.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Thanks For the Info

Playacaribe2-Thank you for posting that info. I am taking Spirit to SDQ for Samana Santa in early April and only would have found out while standing in line in Providence at 4 AM. Depending on my mood I might even give them a piece of my mind, rarely a good idea. It is only $10 and the reasoning may even make sense given thier low prices but I would think that they would honor the policy that was in place when I bought my ticket. I wonder how soon the other carriers will start similar charges? The whole luggage thing is becoming a pain as I have old and sturdy suitcases but they wiegh 20-22 lbs before I put anything in them and it is a battle to stay under 50 lbs total. I guess it's time to spring for some new luggage. I usually max out my bags with school supplies to donate to local school where I stay and theses days it seems to be less and less getting to the kids. Back when it was 75 lbs a bag I had quite a pile for them. Maybe I will pack less for me and support the economy by having the maid do my laundry more often. Thanks again for the post.

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
usually max out my bags with school supplies to donate to local school where I stay and theses days it seems to be less and less getting to the kids.

School supplies are heavy. Why can't you just buy the school supplies in the DR?

Jan 9, 2004
Playacaribe2-Thank you for posting that info. I am taking Spirit to SDQ for Samana Santa in early April and only would have found out while standing in line in Providence at 4 AM. Depending on my mood I might even give them a piece of my mind, rarely a good idea. It is only $10 and the reasoning may even make sense given thier low prices but I would think that they would honor the policy that was in place when I bought my ticket. I wonder how soon the other carriers will start similar charges? The whole luggage thing is becoming a pain as I have old and sturdy suitcases but they wiegh 20-22 lbs before I put anything in them and it is a battle to stay under 50 lbs total. I guess it's time to spring for some new luggage. I usually max out my bags with school supplies to donate to local school where I stay and theses days it seems to be less and less getting to the kids. Back when it was 75 lbs a bag I had quite a pile for them. Maybe I will pack less for me and support the economy by having the maid do my laundry more often. Thanks again for the post.

BLP888:

If you purchased your ticket prior to the new baggage restrictions, then I would challenge the $10.00 assessment. The qestion is, when did they post the change on the website or otherwise notify their passengers?

Many of us who travel to the D.R. regularly, purchase our tickets well in advance. I, for one, have a ticket to fly in March that was purchased in early December of 2006. That is, I believe, well before the new baggage restrictions were announced. And, I have already contacted Spirit regarding this issue and am awaiting a reply. (I successfully challenged a similar situation when the Sprit dropped the weight limit from 70 to 50 lbs. per bag and I already had a pre-existing ticket).

Lest this post be misconstrued, it is not about the $10.00. It is about the contractual principles involved here. And, yes I know that the airlines have wide legal latitude in their right to cancel flights, change aircraft, change gates, etc. But, eventually they must honor the ticket or refund your money. However, in my opinion, they cannot unilaterally alter their contract of carriage as it relates to baggage on tickets purchased prior to the change.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This doesn't suprize me at all. A good friend who is a pilot with Spirit tells me that the Santo Domingo runs are the most overloaded in the company routes. Quite frequently about half the luggage has to be unloaded for the aircraft to meet its weights and balances requirement and then put on a second plane that is usually empty except for the extra luggage. You've seen it, a Dominican family returns from the states with a mound of luggage and packages, WAAAAY over the limit. Even American Airlines has to institute luggage restrictions at times.
I fly Spirit often. They are a fine airline.

I am constantly amazed at how Dominicans pack their entire earthly possessions into bags. A couple with a small child will have six of those huge, massive cargo containers for their "two bags each" for checked luggage, then carry-ons the size of a Rock Stars ego.

Unbelievable.

Like Dominicans overstaying their visas in the US makes immigration a massive headache for law-abiding Dominicans, the way they handle their baggage screws up other peoples travel plans.

Even Jamaicans aren't as bad as Dominicans.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
AA and DL just went up $10 on their tickets to most destinations. Not a coincidence. others may follow.

nixonbd

Sep 16, 2006
Spirit Airlines

How is this airline? I'm booked with them for March, $353 RT from Tampa through Lauderdale. It's the cheapest around.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Spirit Airlines

I've used them from Fl to Jamaica and they were fine. Left on time. Comfortable seating. Haven't used them to DR.

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
We fly Spirit Airlines exclusively because they offer the best prices. Our trips are always between ORD and SDQ.
It's a good reliable no frills Airlines. All they serve is beverages....not even peanuts anymore. They recently bought a bunch of new Airplanes which are more roomy that the old planes. Outside of occasional delayed luggage we have never had a problem.

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Spirit Airlines

How is this airline? I'm booked with them for March, $353 RT from Tampa through Lauderdale. It's the cheapest around.

We just got back from the DR and flew Spirit both ways from SDQ to Fort Lauderdale. Top notch service and comfortable leather seats in the planes. I rate them much better than AA. They do watch the luggage weights closely, so do not overpack.

dangerousdave

Feb 18, 2007
Happy With Spirit

Just took my first trip ever to the DR. I flew ATL-FLL-SDQ and back. Was very happy with Spirit's service. Flight attendants on-board were very nice and funny at times. Will fly them again. This $10 is a very small price to pay and may make some folks think twice about how much they take with them.