Condo Law

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
A question for Mr Guzman which is not quite answered in the condo laws.

Can the condo committee force owners to pay an extra $1000 on top of their monthly condo fees for repair/decoration purposes?

Thank you

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What do you mean by "condo committee"? If you mean a small group that represents the totality of the owners, the answer is "no". If you mean the owners meeting as an assembly of owners, the answer is "yes".

I'm on the board of directors in the condominium where I live and we have been working with Fabio this year on a complete revision of our condominium rules. Therefore I know that if a disgruntled owner were to challenge an assessment approved by a majority of those participating in a properly constituted assembly of owners the disgruntled owner would lose. But if the assessment was levied by a small committee, the disgruntled owner would win....unless an assembly of owners approved the assessment before the matter was heard by the courts.

I'll be as interested as you in Fabio's answer.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Ken, It was the AGM and it was decided the repairs/decoration should be done (voted on) but nowhere in the minutes can I see a vote for us to pay this $1000. We received a letter yesterday saying it must be paid by 23 Feb. I was too ill to attend the meeting so dont know what exactly happened.
My point is if we dont pay this can a lien be issued on the apartment only for this amount when all the condo fees are paid up to date.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Depending on what is in your condominium rules, it is possible to put a lien on your property if you don't pay assessments. The condo law says that decisions of the assembly re fees and assessments are binding on all owners.

Given your health situation, I wouldn't think they would take action against you if you sent a message explaining why payment will be late.

If you are determined not to pay, then get a lawyer who knows condo law and have him go over the record. Condos are not always careful validating proxies, following the law with respect to notice of meeting, etc, etc. Also have him look at the condo rules. You may find more than enough to invalidate the vote on this matter. Don't just get any lawyer, get one who really knows condo law. Fabio is one, there aren't many others to choose from in the DR.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What is in the minutes? Perhaps the assembly agreed on a list of projects with the administrator to get prices and assess the owners.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
yes the works were voted in, but with 84 units taking in an average of $300 per month I dont understand the need for an extra $1000. I was VP last year and in December did a mini audit. The overheads are low so the fees should more than cover the redecoration.

I just didnt need this right now and the worry of a lien.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Fabio may see it differently, but to me it sounds like you will have to pay unless you want to investigate the possibility of irregularities in the meeting. The minutes seem to indicate that the matter was discussed in detail and that a majority voted in favor of going ahead with the work. The condo law is clear that a decision of the assembly is binding on all owners, even those who are opposed.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
in my building we make it a point to budget in advance for repair........as all repairs are unexpected.............i pay my monthly fee and know for sure how much our manager has in the rainy day fund.........i think that as a group we try to keep about 10% aside per month so we don't get surprises........so i would take issue with those in charge as to why they are not doing this.......what sucks for me is that our fee is based on the square meters of the unit, i have the penthouse, i pay 3x as much as some but have only 1 vote...................

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
in my building we make it a point to budget in advance for repair........as all repairs are unexpected.............i pay my monthly fee and know for sure how much our manager has in the rainy day fund.........i think that as a group we try to keep about 10% aside per month so we don't get surprises........so i would take issue with those in charge as to why they are not doing this.......what sucks for me is that our fee is based on the square meters of the unit, i have the penthouse, i pay 3x as much as some but have only 1 vote...................