Help with land title

kicker98

Sep 15, 2004
I am in the process of acquiring the title for a property I bought measuring 612 meters. The attorney doing the paper work tells me it was value (tazado) at 500 pesos per square meter. He is charging me 22,000 pesos for taxes and legal fees. I live in new york and just want to make sure I am not taken for a ride. He has done other things for me that I thought he acted in a fair manner. Can someone please tell if this price seems fair?

Thank you in advanced,

Kicker98

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Observation from the Frontier ! The simple math.

Here is a basic math formula which should prove effective in most situations.

A x $V x .045 = est tax load

Subrtact this from the Attorney Retainer Request and you have the requested attn fee.

A = area in m2 and in example is stated as 612

$V = value estimate in $RD and here stated as $500RD

.045 = transfer tax and fee faxtor

therefore, 612m2 x $ 500RD = $ 306,000RD x .045 = $ 13,770RD est tax+

$ 22,000 Retainer - $13,770 tax+ = $ 8,230 legal fee + $CdB

If there is no " play in $V " and no other future hidden cost then you only have to decide if the legal service provided is worth the $ 8,230RD requested.

kFrancisco de Cabral

kicker98

Sep 15, 2004
Thanks Kfrancis for your reply,

My concern is exactly what you pointed out, the $v, just avoiding being taken for a ride. I am hoping there can be a way of knowing the exact value by way of receipt. I also think (could be wrong) the legal fees is a little too high.
Thanks again for the info.

kicker98

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Tax Payment Printout Available !!

Not sure of the degree of computerizarion elsewhere on our lovely island but here on the Frontier the tax office issues a computerized receipt with ALL the pertainent data, like how much you paid in taxes.

Your lawyer should provide you with a copy of your filing.

However, are you sure you know how $V is actually computed ?? Your " being taken for a ride " comment suggest some concern.

Legal fees on small $$ amounts are hard to justify in a % format. Again you should consider, was the service worth what is being asked for in your mind. And you should consider your " peace of mind " .

You mentioned using this lawyers services in the past. Did you barter that bill at all ??

Also, do remember that legal $CdB points in most tranactions are somewhat constant and will show a bigger hit against the smaller transactions than larger ones.

kFrancisco