(Lack of) Flag etiquette in the DR

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
It was news to me that the 22nd of Febrero is Flag Day in the DR. Reminded me of a long-time sore point here, which is the lack of flag etiquette of all types here in the DR.

1) They leave the DR flag up all night, unlit. Don't they care? (and after a couple of years of NOT lighting the US flag at the US Consulate, other than ambient street light, the Consulate finally does light the flag at night now.)

2)They make changes to the DR flag - for example the Policia Nacional think they can change the DR flag in one quarter of the flag to turn it into a special Dominican Police Flag - have they no pride? Other departments also convert the DR flag in the same way.

3) When they display several country's flags in one place, they do not display all flags at the same level, they put the Dominican flag on a higher pole than the rest - shame on them. All countries are supposed to be equal in the display of flags.

4) I have seen company flags at the same level as the Dominican flag, or at the same level as other country's flags - wrong wrong wrong.

5) I have seen the guys taking down the flags dragging the flag on the ground - lack of education and lack of supervision by someone with an education.

Don't they teach this stuff in Dominican schools????

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I have a question--- Are all countries flag etiquette the same. Should all flags be illuminated at night like the american flag?

I didn't learn flag etiquette in school. The men and women in the service usually know flag etiquette. --- It's not an excuse just an observation!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I witnessed a very ugly sight awhile back, they were burning the US flag. There should be a law!!!

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
In the DR do they drive around with the flag on the hood on their cars or is that only done in NYC when it's the Dominican Day parade? That is another flag--- no no!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Years ago they stopped teaching Civics in the Dominican school system. Therefore no flag etiquette.(sp?)
Thing is, in the US we grow up with our hands on our hearts and swear allegiance to that flag every day for 12-14 years. We sing the National Anthem with reverence. It is ingrained.

It is sad to see the lack of education regarding flag etiquette.

HB

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I have not been to a baseball game in the DR in a long time. Don't they play the national anthem there?:surprised

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
For your reading pleasure;

Dominican Republic, US, Canada, UK, Australia and all countries in general,

The rule book states that when flying countries of more than one nation, if it's in America, the U.S. flag goes first on the viewing public's left. Then, after that, flags go in alphabetical order.

Rick

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
A bit off topic.
The Belgian flag black, yellow and red is unconstitutional. In the constitution the colors are inverted it is red, yellow and black. Even the flag on the kings palace is wrong
;)

greetings

Johan