Why Is Santiago Better Place To Stay For First Time Visitor Than Santo Domingo?

elgringopapijudio

Feb 27, 2007
Hey my names robbie

IM a 25 year old gringo from new york city but speak spanish excellently. I am going to be doing a trip in the DR next week, travelling across the northern coast... I would like to spend the weekend in either santo domingo or santiago.

Since it is my frist time and I love going to non touristic cities, I am intrigued by this city.

I am looking to see some interesting local culture and meet some friendly people, and since I am a 25 year old single male, I heard santiago has the most beautiful women in DR. Is this true?

Is the partying in Santiago better on the weekends than in santo domingo?

I would love to go out and party my ass off in santiago over the weekend
Please let me know

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don't know whether this is true or not ....There are lots and lots of places to party in Santo Domingo...

Santiago has what? maybe 12-15 good spots? Francifol, Tribeca, BAJA,Ahibar,
and a few more....

No matter, where everyou go, you will have fun.

HB

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hey my names robbie

IM a 25 year old gringo from new york city but speak spanish excellently. I am going to be doing a trip in the DR next week, travelling across the northern coast... I would like to spend the weekend in either santo domingo or santiago.

Since it is my frist time and I love going to non touristic cities, I am intrigued by this city.

I am looking to see some interesting local culture and meet some friendly people, and since I am a 25 year old single male, I heard santiago has the most beautiful women in DR. Is this true?

Is the partying in Santiago better on the weekends than in santo domingo?

I would love to go out and party my ass off in santiago over the weekend
Please let me know
1. Santo Domingo is not a touristic city. Santo Domingo is a living working real city, in fact a metropolis. Like all major cities, it has some areas that are more "touristy" (Colonial Zone, Malec?n, and perhaps Gazcue). However, even in those areas tourists don't dominate the street scene at any given time, the ambiance is not plastic or fake as some tourist places tend to be.

Having said that, Santiago is more pleasant than Santo Domingo. The main reasons tend to be because Santiago is significantly less congested than Santo Domingo, it's not as large or confusing as SD, and overall it has a certain provincial cache despite being an important city that Santo Domingo lacks, in my opinion.

2. About the women, they are beautiful and varied all over the country, however the Santiago-San Francisco-La Vega triangle (also referred to as the Vega Real) is home to some of the most beautiful women you will probably ever see in your life, at the very least they will be among the most beautiful. However, Santo Domingo (like the rest of the DR) has its fair share of beauties in all shapes, colors, and style.

3. About the party scene, Santo Domingo is second to none. Monday nights are the most popular time to visit bars and stuff. However, Santiago is not a let down, simply that your choices are more constraint.

-NALs:classic:

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
females........

santiago has IMO the lovliest ladies on the island(in abundance!).
many,many straight girls(not pros,but a fair share of them too!)
you can meet girls at the monument,las collinas mall and even traveling on/in public transport(as i did).
as some people have quoted ,there are beuties all over the island but if i had just 1 vote to cast it would go to the santiago ladies.

C

Chip00

Mocanas pa' que sepa

If you want to know what the Dominicans say, the most beautiful women are from Moca (they also call them "mata presidente" but that's another story!) For that reason I had to "get" me one. Unfortunatley Moca doesn't really have a lot to offer from what I understand but may be worth the visit - it's about 30 min. from Santiago by car and a little more by "guagua". Check out the shops downtown near "El Bombonazo" -there's always a plethora of beauties there.

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
Before I decided to obtain a place here, I have been coming to the DR for a little over five years. I have seen the South North and East part of the Island. Heck on one crazy adventure I drove from the South to the North. I will have to admit it Santiago it the best spot in the DR!

P.S. I have been travling to various parts of the world my whole life.

airbornediver

Jan 23, 2007
I have a question:
I have been to SD and Boca Chica in the past. Boca was dirty, SD was cool but boring as far as clubs. Is Santiago a better choice to go party than Sosua or Cabrette? I was planning on checking out the beaches in the North, but would love to check out the Mountains in the Central.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I have a question:
I have been to SD and Boca Chica in the past. Boca was dirty, SD was cool but boring as far as clubs. Is Santiago a better choice to go party than Sosua or Cabrette? I was planning on checking out the beaches in the North, but would love to check out the Mountains in the Central.

If you found SD boring in the club scene, you'll find Santiago the same way, I don't know what you look for in a club or the type of music you want but Santiago could get lonely if you don't know anyone or speak the language. They all have the same type of local scene but some places have more than others.

Sep 19, 2005
well... I think you will be dissapointed in both the north coast and Santiago from your remarks.

I have only been to a few clubs in SD, but I KNOW it has much much more to offer than what i got to see...and as such i dont judge it from those few places i went..

I have been out a lot in Santiago...and it is a slower paced town...and a little more older fashioned i guess I could say... the north coast would be more like BC, than either Santiago or SD....but busier, maybe less dirty...

the elements that make BC what it is , are prevalent to certain degrees in the big tourist draws on the north coast as well......

in the capitol...where you went has everything to do with your evaluation

bob

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
I'll tell you why, papijudio.. Santiago IS Santiago... Santo Domingo is for everybody.. But Santiago IS santiago.. I'll be there from April 2, thru April 15. Send me a PM if like. Oh, yes lots of ladies.. real mamichulas..

Zeus
ps.. I'm leaving Monday morning..