Burning your bridges ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
I have a good friend in his early 50's who also has a sickness and wants to live out his time in the DR after seeing I was able to re-locate without much hardship..Only thing is he wants to just not pay off his medical bills and credit cards because he is unable to work..He claims he was told by a US attorney that if he did this he cannot ever come back to the USA..Is this true? I know that unless you are court ordered to pay things like child support they can come for you or is this also not the case..I don't want to give the guy bad advice and I am not in his position so I don't know how to answer him....I know a few people who have burned their bridges not wanting to return to the USA..But they went to other countries in South America and were never bothered...Since what they did was not criminal nobody came looking for them..They just let their credit score go to trash...What is the legal part of doing this..And please I was grilled by a Moderator for speaking the wrong phrase..So none of these He/She is a lowlife or a deadbeat..Because when someone has an illness they really don't care what you call them.. Just looking for an answer to tell this person..Since I am NO legal expert...Whatever I learned about the laws of the DR I basically got from DR1...This was not covered when I was gathering info last year for myself...

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Illness, cannot work. Has he considered bankruptcy???

I don't understand the answer.. It is my understanding that he just wants to close his savings accounts and dissappear..Doesn't care about treatment or anything..Just giving up and moving abroad..He has already let them start forclosure on his home if that tells you anything..You can't get blood from a rock..And the new bankruptcy laws don't allow you to include credit cards like they did 10 years ago from what I understand....This guy is so deep in debt somewhere like 30k....I guess mabye the US attorney told him the truth...Just don't come back to the US or they will grab you at the airport..
Apparently he has no wish to return ...

jim44

Dec 13, 2005
not paying your bills is not a criminal indictable offense. they will not nab him at the airport. he can return to the usa no problem,. the only thing is he has to be careful about is buying a home and having a bank account in his name. If his creditors find out about it they may may petition the courts in the dr for payment. like you said you they cannot get blood from a stone if he doesn't have any money to pay bills tell the creditors to get lost. if he has some money left and he wants to protect it. .then he has to form an offshore corporation in a tax haven and get a bank account in safe country. then his funds are not in his name and any property he may purchase can be in the corporation name. then he has privacy security and he can live out his final days with piece of mind. if you need to discuss this just send me a pm. I wish your friend all the best.

maxim

Jul 16, 2003
Bad advice

I have a good friend in his early 50's who also has a sickness and wants to live out his time in the DR after seeing I was able to re-locate without much hardship..Only thing is he wants to just not pay off his medical bills and credit cards because he is unable to work..He claims he was told by a US attorney that if he did this he cannot ever come back to the USA..Is this true? I know that unless you are court ordered to pay things like child support they can come for you or is this also not the case..I don't want to give the guy bad advice and I am not in his position so I don't know how to answer him....I know a few people who have burned their bridges not wanting to return to the USA..But they went to other countries in South America and were never bothered...Since what they did was not criminal nobody came looking for them..They just let their credit score go to trash...What is the legal part of doing this..And please I was grilled by a Moderator for speaking the wrong phrase..So none of these He/She is a lowlife or a deadbeat..Because when someone has an illness they really don't care what you call them.. Just looking for an answer to tell this person..Since I am NO legal expert...Whatever I learned about the laws of the DR I basically got from DR1...This was not covered when I was gathering info last year for myself...

This was awful advice. The attorney may have been trying to scare your friend into racking up more attorney fees. Anyway, no one is going to grab him at the airport. Having broken no laws, he can come and go as he pleases.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
in the US, each state has it's own rules regarding credit cards, so i can not give definite numbers, but each state has a statute of limitations clause in regards to credit cards....it can be as little as 2 years in some states....................friend of mine filed for bankruptcy because of medical bills,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,he came out pretty good..................if that helps....

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003

Please tell your dickhead friend to pay his own bills. I, for one am sick and tired of paying other peoples way in this world!!!

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
All of these posts are correct except for the last one.

No one ever pays extra for someone that does not pay.

If you are not a player then you are being played, it's that simple.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Agree

I agree, we do all pay for deadbeats like the aforementioned. But if the poor jerk is willing to lose his house and respect for $30K imagine what kind of life he'll live here, or anywhere else he chooses. If he's really medically sick, he'll get the health care of the other indigents who can't pay, which will kill him anyway. It's capitalism's way of thinning the herd I reckon.
And if "you're not a player you're being played?" That's some twisted logic mister.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
illness?

My post depends on what kind of illness your friend has. If he's terminal I say f'm and do what you want for the rest of the time you have.

If he WAS ill and now is on the mend then I'd tell him to make sure to think before he acts. He'll not have a problem returning to the U.S. but he may have a really difficult time finding a place to live. Most landlords and all mortgage companies will look at his credit file and make decisions based on how he treated past debt.

As far as the rest of us paying for deadbeats......... For me this is yet another reason I left the states. It's criminal that a country like the United States (one of the richest countries in the world) values personal wealth over the well being of it's citizens.

I do understand the capitalist system but can never agree with educated negligence of the poor.

Jack

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Please tell your dickhead friend to pay his own bills. I, for one am sick and tired of paying other peoples way in this world!!!

Your reply CyeBye was distasteful..To use launguage like that about a person with a medical problem you know nothing about other that what I posted..He is not the name you called him..Mabye people think that about you for one reason or another....You have alot of anger in you..Keep it to yourself..And who told you you are paying for him...You must live in the USA...If your tired of the way things work there then leave..You are welcome to live here like he wants to..

Look at all the immigrants that enter the US every day and file for public assistance..You should be angry with them ..Not a sick man who worked his whole life in the USA only to pay into a fund such as Social Security and never live to be old enough to collect any of it..... Enough Said..!!!!

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I reiterate again that bankruptcy is an option to consider. In what you describe about his situation he qualifies for it, its legal and at least he can leave the country with one less dark cloud hanging over him.

Last edited:

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Jackieboo: You say your think America "values personal wealth over the well being of it's citizens", so I guess you moved to the DR because you think their government values the well being of it's citizens over personal wealth?
Geeeeeezzzz!

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Jackieboo: You say your think America "values personal wealth over the well being of it's citizens", so I guess you moved to the DR because you think their government values the well being of it's citizens over personal wealth?
Geeeeeezzzz!

Tuan;

Read my entire post and you'll see I referenced the US as one of the richest countries in the world. Is the DR one of the richest countries in the world?

Jan 9, 2004
Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

zak023:

IF the facts are as you state, then I would concur with A.Hildago that a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy filing would probably be the best option for your friend.

The U.S. Bankruptcy Code was put into place in order to provide people a "fresh start" from insurmountable debt. That "fresh start" is given after an accepted filing, and a meeting of the debtor and creditors with a U.S. Trustee. If no objections are raised, a discharge is issued 60 days after that meeting.

I find that most people who file for Bankruptcy do so because of high uninsured medical bills, death of a primary breadwinner, divorce, job loss for an extended period, or addiction (drugs and/or gambling).

Ignoring creditors is very rarely a good idea. Many will file civil actions, obtain judgments and eventually a "capias" (civil arrest warrant) will be issued. Hypothetically, if your friend left the D.R. and returned to the U.S. for medical treatment, funeral (not his own) or for whatever reason, he/she might, for example, be stopped for a routine traffic ticket or a field sobriety check. Upon "running" the license, the officer may have the capias pop up on his/her screen, leading to an arrest.

While that may seem far fetched, it does happen. As I said above, and was first suggested by A.Hildago, Bankruptcy seems to be the best option. It gives your friend a) a "fresh start" and b) peace of mind (if he/she should ever desire to return to the U.S.).

Keeping this D.R. related, extradition from the D.R. back to the U.S. for debts owed would probably not be an option, unless there was masive fraud involved and criminal charges were filed. Perhaps Fabio could weigh in as to how Dominican law may/may not affect this issue.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Your reply CyeBye was distasteful..To use launguage like that about a person with a medical problem you know nothing about other that what I posted..He is not the name you called him..Mabye people think that about you for one reason or another....You have alot of anger in you..Keep it to yourself..And who told you you are paying for him...You must live in the USA...If your tired of the way things work there then leave..You are welcome to live here like he wants to..

Look at all the immigrants that enter the US every day and file for public assistance..You should be angry with them ..Not a sick man who worked his whole life in the USA only to pay into a fund such as Social Security and never live to be old enough to collect any of it..... Enough Said..!!!!

If your friend has paid into social security as you say,is too sick too work he is probably entitled to collect social security disability.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004

When I read your story, my eyes swelled with tears. Burning bridges? bridges to what, the only industrialized country that has no universal health coverage for its own people? Here in the DR he may not find universal health care, but surely the care and compassion he needs. Unbelievable, the system didn't cure him, but is charging him for the effort. I read recently that almost 10 million children in the US are without health insurance, also the just 9 days worth of what is spent in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan would provide insurance for every child in the US. And now this...

troubling health care stories

Status
Not open for further replies.