Hamaca Hotel by Coral or Barcelo Capella

AJPDC

Jan 20, 2003
Has anyone visited the Hamaca Hotel in Boca Chica or the Barcelo Capella in Juan Dolio recently? I'm holding a reservation at the Barcelo Capella for next month for myself and my two sisters. It will be their first visit to the DR and I want them to be impressed. The reviews for the Capella on DR1 aren't good but also aren't too recent. I recall that the Hamaca was good when it was affiliated with Hilton but that's no longer the case; it's now exclusively a Coral hotel and their website is very unimpressive. Need help on whether to stay at the Capella or change to the Hamaca. In addition, the main reason for this one-day stay is to be near the best beach but in a good property. My 11 year old niece is also making the trip. We're headed to Santo Domingo for the rest of our stay and I'm very familiar with the hotels in town.

Thanks for your help!

jrzguy2

Sep 1, 2004
i'd say juan dolio from the sounds of what you are looking for.

at the hamaca you are in a fortress and their strip of beach is rather small. If you sit outside the beach you will be hassled by vendors.

I was in juan dolio last week for a day...and they really are doing a lot of work on it. they have been regenerating the beach...so its nice and wide...and you can walk a couple of miles etc without being hassled by vendors and various other folks who want your $$.

The one plus not for hamaca is that the water on the beach is very tranquil....so your 11 year old niece might enjoy that better. There are waves in juan dolio...but there are some spots that arent so wavy.

I dont know anything about the hotel you are asking about tho (even tho i most likely walked by it).

have fun!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
The one time I stayed in the Capella I was seriously unimpressed! It was virtually empty at the time and should have been at least 50% full. The food was not good, it was not clean but the staff were excellent. the beach right at the hotel is nothing to write home about - at all.

I've not stayed at the Hamaca but I have stayed at other Coral / Globalia hotels and they were very good. Again though, can't say about the Hamaca specifically.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
to add to my post above. On my long walk on juan dolio beach...i got the impression that things are still very much in the works. Lots of construction and lots of 1/2 built hotels. One of the better AI's was a Coral place. seemed to have a good crowd and nice layout.

Since you are only staying for one day...i'd say its a toss of the coin. Boca Chica IS closer to the capital.

If you are going to the beach. Boca chica if you like really quiet water that you can wade far out to without being a swimmer. If you like a little bit of surf then juan dolio.

boca chica is kinda crowded...juan dolio is really spread out. Again..one day..i wouldnt worry too much about the hotel...but rather which kind of beach you prefer.

lunar

Jun 14, 2006
Hi,

I have never been in the Hamaca, but I was in the Capella the first week of February. Unless you get your room in block 4000 the rooms are old, used and don?t smell very nice. They are much like the rooms in the Colonia Tropical (this last one being much cheaper). In my opinion if you can?t get into block 4000 it is not worth paying the extra money for the Capella, you can book at the Colonia Tropical and use the Capella services. The beach was perfect for me, enough shade made by Palm trees, no waves at all the week I was there and we were also able to walk for quite a while. The restaurants, entertainment ect... is pretty much as everywhere else. I hope this helps.

Chinita8

Jan 26, 2007
I just got back from staying at Hamaca this week. I've been to Hamaca plenty of times but this was my first time since the new company. They have made the rooms nicer but to me not much has changed. I am friends with a lot of the people that work there and a lot is still in the works (so i hear) but pretty much the same workers that I know and activities. There is the childrens club there for your niece during the day if you are looking for something like that but there is plenty to do for your niece. If it is a day trip and you are going to the capital I would say Hamaca, the beach is beautiful, water is clear and shallow. There is a small pool on the beach side as well as a big pool on the garden side. There are lots of activities and games to do on the beach, I think you would enjoy it if you are looking for a one-day stay at a good beach and property. Any other questions, I'd be happy to help.

Danceelite

Mar 22, 2007
Hamaca for sure

I have never stayed in Barcelo Capelo, however I have had two very nice stays at Costa Caribe, for my money the best hotel in Jaun Dolio. The only reason I stayed there, the Hamaca was sold out. The Hamaca is not only a stay in a Hotel, it is an experience, it can be good or bad but like said for my money its the best hotel on the South Coast bar none. I have stayed in Hamaca maybe 15 or 20 times in the past three yrs and maybe three or four times I may have gotten in an aurgument with the staff for some trival reason. About three times ago I stayed on the Executiva floor and Hamaca is a 5 star hotel but Executiva was one of the best experiences of my life. It offered all of Hamaca and then added First Class. Here is what to do. Book on line the cheapest room you can for your trip, and then when you arrive at Hamaca upgrade to Executiva, the cost at that point is minimal, for the upgrade cost the same for whatever room you would have booked online. Don't let them tell you they may sell out of Executiva rooms Because it incompasses a whole floor with its own elevator its own reception its own lounge and gratuitys not available to the other guest. You may never want to go Downtown to Santo Domingo which is much closer than any hotel in Juan Dolio. Further more Juan Dolio is a ghost town, Hamaca is with walking distance to the best parts of Boca Chica. There is no where to walk to from Bacelo Capelo you are stuck in the boonies.

Danceelite