What happen with the Police ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

diego200

Jan 30, 2006
Since yesterday (Wenesday), the Police seems to be everywhere on the road, checking all the cars and the Motos.

Yesterday I was in Santiago, and I had a fine because I wasn't wearing my seat-belt. The policeman stopped me and said to his collegue "esta un gringo" and he was smiling. I noticed that nobody in Santiago wears his seat-belt, but it's the law, so I closed my mouth...
5 minutes later, another policeman stopped me and seems very motived too (I was wearing my seat-belt..), I told him (in my poor spanish..) that I already had a fine 5 minutes ago, and that I didn't want to be fined all the times.. he smiled and let me go.
The when I arrived in Sosua (where I live) I saw many people at the police station, and the truck of the "grua" taking away like 20 or 30 motos and scooters.
I thought that this is not normal
And today, the same thing, I saw this truck doing the same thing, and every time I passed in front of the police station, there was 3 or 4 polimen stopping cars or motos to check them and giving them fine.

So my question is : what the hell is going on here ???? I didn't think that you can get controlled and fined more here than in Europa !!!!:ermm:
If you got the clue of this ill be happy to know.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The crowd at the Sosua police station yesterday was motorcycle drivers caught not wearing a helmet.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
The crowd at the Sosua police station yesterday was motorcycle drivers caught not wearing a helmet.

What it usually really is:
When most of the motoconcho drivers are late with their payments for financing, they ask the cops to find there motocycles and hold them until they pay there financing and something to the cops to get there motorcycles back.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I was stopped at a roadblock, on my way back from SF de Macoris... Had my seatbelt on... The cop saw I was a gringo, asked me if I was driving to Las Terrenas... -"Si Se?or."...
He wished me a nice day and let me go...
I guess police is doing some homework after all those murders & violence of the past days...

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Murders and violence? Are you referring to the attempted murder of Subero Isa's (chief of the supreme court) nephew by six guys with Uzzis inside his multi-million home in Casa de Campo? You know, the victim that then called Pepe Goico to send an airplane to take him to a hospital. You know Pepe, the bodyguard to the former president who put US$40 million on a VISa card in Miami in only one night, and who's out on bail and jobless? See today's DR1.
Is that the violence that's going on?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Is that the violence that's going on?

As of murder, there's that italian guy in BC... As of violence, there's a lot of armed robberies, one of an american family I personnaly know in LT, and some other that have been reported here in the board...

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Good.

I wear my seatbelt. I don't drink while driving, nor speak on my cell phone. My licence and insurance are up to date and I don't carry an unlicenced gun.

If the cops are pulling over people who are, then that's great by me. As long as it's not the cops who are robbing people, I really don't mind being pulled over.

Mind you, many people can't be bothered getting or renewing their driver's licences. These are the same people who complain that they are expected to stop at a red light, as though things would be better were there no traffic lights at all.

As for the motoconchos? BUY A F*CKING LIGHT BULB FOR YOUR REAR LIGHT SO THAT PEOPLE CAN SEE YOU AT NIGHT!!!!! I fail to see how this is so difficult. Can't find a light bulb? Buy a bit of reflective tape.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
police? checking? noboby tells minovio, ok?
i drive every day now - just a little bits here and there....
i admit i have given it a thought - what would happen if police stops us and i have no licence....
minovio says the most they can do is take a car and only release it after we pay the fine....

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
police? checking? noboby tells minovio, ok?
i drive every day now - just a little bits here and there....
i admit i have given it a thought - what would happen if police stops us and i have no licence....
minovio says the most they can do is take a car and only release it after we pay the fine....
Just look at them with a blank face and answer their questions in your best Polish, "Samodzielny urzędnik, Tw?j brzydki c?rka zjedzony m?j pieścić żaba"....:cheeky: ;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
i have a blank face all the time when i drive....
actually no - i have the same face i pulled for my cedula picture.
AMET would now even want to check my licence - just arrest me! ;)

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Update on the violence: Subero is "doing well", according to his family, the family of supreme court president Subero Isa. Nonetheless, the family has whisked him away to Cedars hospital in Miami so he may rest "quiet".
Meanwhile 7 are under arrest for the Uzzi-backed storming of his Casa de Campo millionaire home. Gee! That was quick! Does the same sort of rapid police investigation and arrests occur for residents of Sosua?

Status
Not open for further replies.