Grant's American Cafe

Frank

Sep 28, 2004
It has been quite some time since I visited Samana. Does anyone know if Grant's American Cafe is still there? Actually, I would like to locate some of the people that were so hospitable during a sailing trip there.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
i heard the same. who took over his house on the bay? the govt due to problems with the bar?

TimH

Aug 4, 2004
www.guesthouse-jarabacoa.com
Probably the best thing that could happen in the current situation. More or less a year after Grant's death I had a look at his property and was shocked to see the grade of destruction and neglect that was done to all installations and buildings at this time.
My only advise to the new owner is to get rid of anybody whoever worked at this place. They never meant good.

Frank

Sep 28, 2004
Thanks for the responses. Grant's was the first place ashore when I was there, and there were some really good people working there. Grant, on the other hand, wasn't one of them. Since he has died I won't speak badly of him. I did have the opportunity to speak with him at length several times while he was building his place, and he told stories about his child(ren.) Most of the stories involved run-in's with the law. They seemed to have an "ownership" mentality in Samana.

The lady that managed the bar, Mercedes Jackson, was very nice. There was also a man that sort of worked for Grant - Martin Wilmore. Since my Spanish is weak, Martin did most of the translation. There was also a young woman, Glenis Pena. I have photos and notes from them, and I think about them often, but I have lost contact.

Ron and I were there about two months due to weather, and it was a surprisingly warm, hospitable stay. I developed a real affinity for the island and the people, at least in that area. The airport was just under construction up the hill from Samana. I'm sure the area has changed immensely, and I do intend on visiting again.

I won't continue to ramble, but I do appreciate your responses. I'm sorry it took so long to check for them.