Santo Domingo to Port Au Prince

TLM

Apr 1, 2007
Does any one have any information regarding the bus travel from SD to PAP? I have found some on the return trek, but cannot get a clear picture on how to get from SD to PAP. We are hoping to visit some schools/orphanages when there (in PAP). Any info on that or an alternate location that may be better?

Thanks.
Tracey

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Caribe Tours and at least one other company (Terra Bus?) serves that route. It is an eight-hour journey via Jiman?. According to their website the daily bus from Santo Domingo to Port-au-Prince (P?tionville) departs at 11:00. A friend is arriving from there today so I'll ask her how it went and if there is anything useful to add I'll come back to this thread.
Caribe Tours C. Por A.

TLM

Apr 1, 2007
SD to PAP

Thanks, I would love to hear how her travels went.

Tracey

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Not too eventful, although she complained about the DR customs check at the frontier - you have to get off the bus and cross on foot, going through all the Haitian and Dominican immigration and customs processes - and the DR customs officer was blatantly receiving small bribes (50 pesos or so) from all the regulars in a way that made it look completely routine. She said they already had their money prepared while waiting in line to be checked, and that Haitians had to pay more than Dominicans.

The whole trip took around eight hours, as I said.

TLM

Apr 1, 2007
Thanks for the info...was your friend traveling solo? How was Haiti? I have heard many mixed items about safety and traveling there and not sure of the most current standings.

I appreciate your help! :)

TLM

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
TLM - I've replied by PM because unlike your OT this last question is not DR-related.

:)

old_conejo

Jun 14, 2007
Sto Domingo to PAP

Try Terra Bus, the fare is $40US each way or $75US round-trip. 809-530-6926. They use Air Conditioned Tour Bus.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Caribetours is 1300 pesos + $25 (border formalities) SD-PaP and $40 + $28 PaP-SD. Buing a return ticket is probably a bit more economical. Buses leave SD every day at 11am, arriving in P?tionville at about 5.30pm, and everyday at 8.30am from P?tionville, arriving in SD at about 5pm.
Food is served on the bus. The seats are a lot more spacious than the regular Caribetours buses. Tickets are sold at the travel agency office at the entrance of Caribetours in Santo Domingo.