Property Managers in the RD

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'm a property manager here in Canada with 14 years experience in both commercial (office, retail, warehouse, etc.) and multi-residential (apartments) properties. I speak basic spanish which would improve significantly if I was immersed in it. I was wondering if there is a job market for property managers on the North Coast? What could one expect in terms of pay? What are property managers called in spanish? Thanks in advance.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Canadian experience a handicap

Dear Nelly,
While there is great need for honest, reliable property managers in the DR, your Canadian experience is useless in the Dominican context. Because there is no objective legal or enforcement system, there are no property rights without a fat bankroll to back them up. Unless your Canadian experience includes small arms training, bribery, theft and double book accounting, you'll be at a disadvantage. You also need to be your own lawyer.
Good luck.

Colin

Jun 1, 2006
Just curious, are you talking from experience? or just being negative to the DR.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Just curious, are you talking from experience? or just being negative to the DR.
Although I can't speak for Gabriela, her reply is quite accurate.
This is another world, and CDN experience is not going to help much.
That being said, a CDN who moves here, learns the lay of the land and learns to understand how things work here, would have a decided advantage managing a property, over someone who had no experience whatsoever.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
That being said, a CDN who moves here, learns the lay of the land and learns to understand how things work here, would have a decided advantage managing a property, over someone who had no experience whatsoever.

My thoughts exactly but finding the right person to learn from is the challange.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
My thoughts exactly but finding the right person to learn from is the challange.
You're right.
You could get in touch with Campesina.
She has been living here a number of years, manages the Las Ca?as project and had hotel/apartment management experience back in the US, so you would have a lot in common.
I'm sure Campesina could answer your questions, maybe even assist you.
The other problem is that very few people would hire a "newbie" to manage/administrate their properties.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Is ther such a thing as a caretaker for a single owner property? I have the security/preparedness background mentioned above (CQB, SAT, AWT) and am handy around the house....plus I've lived down island before, (y yo hablo Espanol)

Perhaps someone in the Punta Cana area needs a dedicated "personal assistant"?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Is ther such a thing as a caretaker for a single owner property? I have the security/preparedness background mentioned above (CQB, SAT, AWT) and am handy around the house....plus I've lived down island before, (y yo hablo Espanol)

Perhaps someone in the Punta Cana area needs a dedicated "personal assistant"?
Lots of property owners have quarters for caretakers, and there could be a market for you.
The problem is that you are not known in this country and have no experience here, so it may be difficult to find someone to trust you and your capacities.