Marinas in DR

SecondChance

Apr 26, 2007
Can someone give some advice on marinas to moor at indefinately? I'll be living on the hook in DR from time to time. I have a 35' sailboat. I've looked on the internet, but there does not seem to be any prices or specifics. I'm leaning towards Luperon, but that can change with additional information.

thanks!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
If you want to live on the hook, on the North Coast there is Luperon and then Samana Bay. Luperon is a hurricane hole, Samana is not nearly as protected. If you want to live in a marina, check out the new marina at Ocean World in Puerto Plata ... no living on the hook, but living on the dollar.

I would say for living on the hook, Luperon is your answer. No mooring boys, you have to check your anchor(s) as soil is sandy, but very safe in terms of weather.

SecondChance

Apr 26, 2007
Thanks Chris,
I checked out Ocean World and will be calling them tomorrow to see what is available. I liked the sound of Luperon only because of it's safety from Hurricanes and the fact of being able to anchor.

If I'm reading it right, Ocean World is charging .80 per foot per day? I hope I'm reading that right (6-12 months). That's $28.00 per day!!! Pretty expensive. I'll call them tomorrow and see what the scoop is.

Thanks again Chris,
Rick

SecondChance

Apr 26, 2007
Capt.Rob,

Thanks for your willing to help out. I'm not familiar with the areas, but through research and others, I'm told that the DR is one of the places to spend alot of time in (years).

I would like my criteria to be as safe from Hurricanes as possible (oximoron?) and not too remote, I don't mind crowds.

Thanks for your willing to assist Capt.Rob,

Rick

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Be wary of Samana Bay ... :pirate: there is a HUGE amount of corruption as far as the 'officials' in the area.

Moor in Luperon or tie up at Ocean World Marina IMO.

Stay well,
Amy
Fisrt Mate
M/V Independence

SecondChance

Apr 26, 2007
Amy,
Thanks for your response! Is Luperon the most protected area from Hurricanes as I've heard? Have you docked there before? Are the prices really .80 per ft. per day? Sorry for all the Q's. Thanks again!
Rick

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
No worries - that's why the board is here ... to answer people's Q's!

We're currently docked at Ocean World - the only drawback is the surge makes the marina a little rocky and rolly some days (there is talk of building a sea break further out from the break-wall but who knows?!) Their price per day is .80 per ft. per day for 6 months and up.

We have been to Luperon many times - lots and lots of sailboats on the hook out there. It's a good marina but a little remote for my taste. Luperon is the most protected area in regards to hurricanes but we're just a few hours away so if the sh!t hits the fan we can always make a run up there.

We've had a few bad storms in the past few weeks and have held up fine here in Ocean World.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Stay well,
Amy

SecondChance

Apr 26, 2007
Thanks again Amy,

I just got off the phone with Ocean World. He verified the price of .80 per day per ft. I told him they are more expensive than Marinas in Florida. He told me to call back in a few hours or days and speak with someone higher in authority with him. That person could possibly work on getting the price down. Apparently they are going to readjust the prices to attempt to get more business in there. Maybe they can work with you as well...just a thought.

Thanks again Amy,
Rick

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Morring

If you don't mind alittle primitive try Monte Cristi or better Monsonillio not spelled rite it just outside Monte Cristi Largest bay in all of the carib. also on the south coast is las salians bani real nice small town but nice. Just depends on want you want.

SecondChance

Apr 26, 2007
Amy,
No...just some guy who answered the phone, very kind and likes to talk. Sounded somewhat young (30's?).

Capt.Rob...I'll check it out. Hopefully it's not too far from Ocean World or Luperon. I kind of planned on doing what Amy suggested about high tailing it to Luperon during Huricanes, so hopefully it won't be too far. Thanks.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Capt. Rob57, I don't think it's wise to advise a boater who is not familiar with what the boating industry is in the DR to anchor out in either Monte Cristi or Manzanillo as these areas are not as safe as others. Main stream boating is pretty new in the DR and most guide books you read will tell you NOT to stop here. The two reliable and SAFE areas where SecondChance can meet up with other boaters that are familiar with the North Coast and it's anchorages/marinas/waters are Luperon or Ocean World.

My suggestion would be to base yourself at one of those two for 6 months, explore from there ... go to Punta Rucia for an overnight trip - it's beautiful.

Another reason that Monte Crisiti, although beautiful, is not recommended is that it's close to the Hatian border where things become all the more tricky. Most insurance comapnies will not insure a boat in Hatian waters due to the risk involved ... what does that tell you about the boating saftey in that area?

I've been to Monte Cristi as well as Manzanillo many times, in fact La Playa del Morro is one of my favorite beaches on the island ... but please be sensible about the advise you give. It sounds as if SecondChance is relatively new to boating in the DR - better take it slow and learn the lay of the land (errr, water) before jumping in head first.

Stay well,
Amy

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
My Advice

My advice is sound having lived there for over 10 years it is very safe and a good harbor the water is deep and safe now there is little or no service but many people have boats there and there is a Club de Natico in Monte Cristi.

SecondChance

Apr 26, 2007
Thanks to both of you very much!!! You don't know how much I appreciate your help. I will continue to do my research and call places as I learn of them. I am still unable to get ahold of anyone at Luperon, but will continue to keep trying.

Hope to meet both of you later this year...thanks again!

Rick

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
I agree with CaptRobt on Manzanillo.

Manzanillo has great folks, but it's a mite remote.
Monte Cristi, also remote, has access problems for sailboats. Small cruiser ok.
Ocean World has lots of charges on their price sheet besides /ft dockage.

Stop at Manzanillo enroute to case it out for a day or two, then coast over to Luper?n to check out the marinas there as well as at Ocean World before deciding anything.

NOTE on Luper?n's bottom holding: it's tenacious. But you must follow the instructions in the guidebook to the letter. You can see them at Luper?n in the Dominican Republic
Press the ANCHORING button at the bottom of the page.

Fair winds!

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Well, maybe it's time I try Manzanillo again ... but remember boys, I'm looking at this from a new-commers perspective.

There are so many people who come down here, have one bad experience within their first few days and decide never to come back, much less actually explore and learn about the country and experience or try to understand it's culture.

From experience, it's best to place yourself in a comfortable situation and expolre from that point on at your own pace, if at that point you decide to go all in, then go for it! At least then you'll have some idea of what you're getting into. ;)

Stay well,
Amy

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
another thought

You got it, Amy! Here's another thought, though.

There are boats for sale in Luper?n, mostly by sailors that fell in love with the country and its people and moved ashore. These represent excellent opportunities to purchase a floating condo from which to get "a year on the ground".

There are likewise "boater special" cars from time to time for sale by folks who've used them to give the country a good tour and are moving on after a hurricane season or two moored in Luper?n. See Luperon Boat Yacht Property Sales - Caribbean - Dominican Republic