Best Sancocho in Santiago

C

Chip00

As a real fan of Sancocho, where would a good place be to go that has a great sancocho, prefereably the capitaleno style with corn.

FYI - this isn't necessarily for fine dining, comedor's are fine by me as well.

Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You dumb stiffleg! Everyone in Santiago knows that when it rains and is all gray and nasty, there is sancocho in the HB Hovel...

Is it the best, you ask? D@mn straight! Served with conc?n, aguacate, arroz blanco, casabe tostao con ajo....

HEHEHE (the invite is not a joke!)

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Sunday nights at Alida's house, a feast for the weekly family gathering. Similar to Luis', but with copious Red Rock...:cheeky:

C

Chip00

You dumb stiffleg! Everyone in Santiago knows that when it rains and is all gray and nasty, there is sancocho in the HB Hovel...

Is it the best, you ask? D@mn straight! Served with conc?n, aguacate, arroz blanco, casabe tostao con ajo....

HB

Just let me know when - who knows maybe we can fit some golf in too!

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006

HB
HB what type of place is it? que esu nHovel sorry if i sound ignorant pero i preferd to ask.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It's my house. This is sort of a Santiago insider joke. Since I am the Hillbilly, I naturally live in a hovel, or a shack.
As the OP has found out, there is no really good place to get sancocho on a commercial basis. Home-made is the only way to go...

Perhaps one exception is Donde Marchena, just down the street from Hotel Platino. It is a 24 hour eatery, said to have decent sancocho and mondongo.

HB

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
The more I post ,the more I learn. I agree withyou in regards to the comercial basis. Back when I was a kid my father justto take to a small comedor in Pueblo Nuevo ( J.A bermunez Ave) they where expert is sopa de nverio y sanconcho on sunday. dont know if they still around. Pero creo que de best sancho is done after midnight, un botella de rum y tus mejores amigos acompanadote. Nothing taste like un snacocho a las 2am medio prendio.
Albin

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
marchena has the best mondongo in santiago (thats my opinion). Mondongo con arroz blanco (limon y salsa picante mmmmmm).
AZB