Great things about the Dominican Republic!

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Lately there has been much negative light shone on the DR in regards to crime etc. As you look down the message boards there are many threads talking about the negative side of visiting and living there. It would be nice to hear some positive things for a change...

Does anyone have any great stories about the DR in general or the people? I am sure there are lots to be heard!

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Nope...not a thing......

....no one on DR1 has ever posted any positive stories.....please don't encourage anyone to break that record.......

P.S. Don't try doing a search....absolutely no positive stories there either.....

JOKL

Oct 30, 2006
Lately there has been much negative light shone on the DR in regards to crime etc. As you look down the message boards there are many threads talking about the negative side of visiting and living there. It would be nice to hear some positive things for a change...

Does anyone have any great stories about the DR in general or the people? I am sure there are lots to be heard!

you should ask instead about having "good memories" living in DR. Recently it look like nobody have one.

G

gary short

Well...here it is..I rented a car a couple years back in Sosua...4 wd drive Japo thing .......we checked it out mechanically..looked fine ...drove it all over the place......north south east and west......In Las Terrenas at 8am driving through town the thing farts spits and quits......we're behind a pickup truck filled with school kids......one kid points at the motor and runs his finger across his throat and points at the ground........we hop out and find a bunch of ball bearings rolling down the road as well as a pulley........so we call up dude in Sosua and he is resigned to having to rescue said vehicle.......hey hang on......I tell Sosua guy we'll try and fix it.......there's a moped rental place across the street and the propietor rents us a moped......away goes my buddy while I guard the vehicle......30 min later my buddy shows up with two mechanics with tools and parts...........20 DOLLARS ALL IN... parts and labour......are you fricken kidden me........the rental guy in Sosua was trying to kiss us when we got back.......but I'm not into that

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
To watch the birds work and build their nests at the end of the day, that works for me.

The Birds and the Bees maybe an old story, however if the global warming persits,...........then I,m going to the Latino Club in my,

OPRAH ......Please send a half a dozen mercedes electric golf carts,

Do not let the Donald out do you.

North shore needs help !!

Mike

G

gary short

Another one.........I was travelling along a mountain road and happened upon a cowboy trying to herd his cows........we wanted to know if we could travel this road to Santiago.......he didn't know.......most of the road acc ording to him was washed out ...as it turned out he was having a hell of a time herding his cattle........what with our horn we moved his herd ten klicks down the road to his ranch.......what a cool bunch........I

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
This hummingbird that came drinking from the orange straw in my cuba libre.

He didn't flew straight afterwards

Greetings

Johan

Sep 19, 2005
Great things about the DR:

The rental pets at the resorts!!!!!!!! where else can your girlfriend find that perfect little monkey to go along with that new shirt!! ha ha ha

4xm8r2b.jpg

bob

Sep 19, 2005

the rental helicopters at the resorts!!! ha ha ha

I love this thread ha ha

6bjqx3r.jpg

ok Ill stop...I guess you get my point !!!!!!!!

bob

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
To me - one of the greatest things in the DR is smiles people and especially children give you and how much kids want to pose for you to take their pictures....

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
FOOD!! Mostly for the things that I cannot get here (NYC) and miss greatly. Nothing beats los sandwich de piernas, los bofes, las mazorcas that are sold in El Malecon, los jalaos, the pizza (I like the sweetness of the sauce in some of the clubs, I think I could eat an entire pizza pie by myself) el chivo picante, manzanas de oro, mabi (this I can get here but its just not the same, I like the fresh, natural made stuff), JUGO DE CA?A!!!! (I pay US $30 + here for a gallon during the summer) and much, much more.

relaxtime

Apr 3, 2007
I'm being serious

The rental pets at the resorts!!!!!!!! where else can your girlfriend find that perfect little monkey to go along with that new shirt!! ha ha ha

4xm8r2b.jpg

bob

That was funny! It made me wonder though... are there any places in the DR where I can see or possibly be in contact with a real monkey? It's always been something I've wanted to do but here in California there's no way you'll find monkeys hanging around freely for spectators to get close to and feed or play with.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Damm you LPF...Stop torturing us!!! Quick question...Do I detect a "hint" of a tattoo on the back on the last pic (walking towards the helicopter). Not that I was looking that closely...Oh yeah that helicopter does look like it would be fun.

Relaxtime: I'm sure the zoo will let you pet or even spank the monkey for a fee...This is The DR after all.

Sep 19, 2005
cobraboy, I also have lasting memories of buying tickets from the scalpers last fall....we had to do it to every game we went to....it was a real experience...from just haggling between two or three guys to making trips into the statium while the players were practicing to check out where the seats actually where(I wasnt taking anyones word for it)

saurezn:...funny you bring that up...when the thread first started it went off track on tatoos ha ha ha...but about a half dozen of those posts were deleted !! ha ha ha

anyway. Ill PM you the details ha ha ha....the answer is yes and no...just to bait you a little

I know i posted here in fun using my GF as a prop....but i do love a ton of things about the DR...even if i am very candid about everything I see...good or bad....I could post a dozen times in this thread with things I love all with pictures...

bob

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
cobraboy, I also have lasting memories of buying tickets from the scalpers last fall....we had to do it to every game we went to....it was a real experience...from just haggling between two or three guys to making trips into the statium while the players were practicing to check out where the seats actually where(I wasnt taking anyones word for it)
Bob, literally 3 minutes after that pic was taken (the guy doing the negotiation is Alida's nephew, leaning against the car), two of those guys were duking it out, slugging away and rolling on the ground over who was gonna sell us their tix...an interesting memory, to say the least...

Sep 19, 2005
I never saw that...it got loud and intense a few times , especially when the finals were going on, as the tickets were 2,500 pesos each!

But i really got the idea these guys have an accepted level of acknowledgement that the other has a right to try and sell their tickets as well. Many times when the guy harking me knew he didnt have the seats i wanted, he ran to someone else who he though might have them....they seemed to all understand that the goal was to get everyones tickets sold so they were all happy.

I expected more pushing and shoving...but it didnt happen.

you know when they see faces like ours they are like a stampede coming at you!!!

bob