Visa for Dominican Rep.

barhouch03

Oct 16, 2006
Hi All,

I just received my visa for DR today (I needed one). the issue is that my trip to DR is from 23 June to 07 July (and i clearly specified that in my request formular and in the booking confirmation i sent to the DR embassy) but the Visa I received is valid from 02 May to 02 July, which means it will expire while i am still there. I called the consulate and they said that it's not an issue and that what counts is the entry date :surprised

Can anyone help please if that's true, and maybe who should I call in Puerto Plata to be sure I wont be in trouble when I arrive to the airport?

Many thanks!

Y.

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
If the consulate said it's ok, I wouldn't worry about it.

My first time to the DR, I was REALLY freaking out about not having a passport. (Canadians can fly direct there with just a drivers licence) After talking to the consulate, they said 'no worries' - but still did until I actually passed through immigration in Puerto Plata.

Enjoy your vacation. Things are much more relaxed in the DR. I wouldn't consider it an issue at all.

They are more concerned with tourist dollars than any "visa mishaps."

Jan 5, 2006
The consulate gave you correct information. Your visa is valid to enter the country between the valid dates and allows you to stay in DR for 6 months thereafter.

***Laura***

May 27, 2007
hi, myself and my partner are travelling on the 18th June to DR. We are traveling from Manchester with First Choice, we were told when we booked the tickets that the return home tax was included but i am a liitle unsure regarding the $10 tax when you arrive, could you please tell me what happens when u get off the plane and what money/currency i need please.

i am sad and like to be organised - even on hols, it would make me feel a lot better! Many thanks
Laura

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
hi, myself and my partner are travelling on the 18th June to DR. We are traveling from Manchester with First Choice, we were told when we booked the tickets that the return home tax was included but i am a liitle unsure regarding the $10 tax when you arrive, could you please tell me what happens when u get off the plane and what money/currency i need please.

Your visa card is issued at the airport when you land it is valid for 2 weeks and you pay in US$, if you stay longer you just pay when you leave either in pesos or US$. You'll have more problems with that First Choice, they should be renamed last choice - horrendous company service from start to finish.

EnclineDesigns

Aug 21, 2007
web.mac.com
Your visa card is issued at the airport when you land it is valid for 2 weeks and you pay in US$, if you stay longer you just pay when you leave either in pesos or US$. You'll have more problems with that First Choice, they should be renamed last choice - horrendous company service from start to finish.

We are coming from the US with passports and I know we need the $10 tourist card upon arrival. What is the charge if you stay longer than 2 weeks?

Thanks!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Would it be better to apply for residency before we arrive or wait until we arrive?

If by residency you mean you are going to be living and working in the DR on a permanent basis, you need to wait till you are in the country and unless you are fluent in Spanish you will need a lawyer to do it.;)

EnclineDesigns

Aug 21, 2007
web.mac.com
If by residency you mean you are going to be living and working in the DR on a permanent basis, you need to wait till you are in the country and unless you are fluent in Spanish you will need a lawyer to do it.;)

Thank you! Should we apply for residency within the 15 days of the tourist card or is there another form of a visa that would last us a few months?