DNA tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
I'm in the process of going to the DR for a DNA test very soon; and was just told that I will need something from both of my parents; for them to compare!! It this true?

I did a research on what's needed for the test and it doesn't mention that I need my mother's cultivo!!!

I also went in some of the websites of some clinics that you guys recommended in the past and nothing with regards to DNA, ADN, or Paternity tests there. Am I missing/typing something wrong?

Please help me; I don't want to make a trip just for nothing!

Perlanegra

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I'm in the process of going to the DR for a DNA test very soon; and was just told that I will need something from both of my parents; for them to compare!! It this true?

I did a research on what's needed for the test and it doesn't mention that I need my mother's cultivo!!!

I also went in some of the websites of some clinics that you guys recommended in the past and nothing with regards to DNA, ADN, or Paternity tests there. Am I missing/typing something wrong?

Please help me; I don't want to make a trip just for nothing!

Perlanegra

I'm sure your DNA test has been court ordered, and will be used as evidence in a paternity suit. The court should provide you wilh all the details you need. Ask the court or your lawyer.

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
Mirador, Sweetie!

No, my soon to be done DNA wasn't ordered by a court!
No, it will not be used as evidence in any paternity suit!
No, I don't have a lawyer, either!

Did you read my post?
Maybe I've been an idiot; but I think I clearly state that the test is for me personally, not for any of my siblings; and I'm 35 years old so I don't think I need the court to tell me anything.

I was just wondering if anybody knew about the need of both parents for (MY) DNA; because my uncle mention this last night.

That simple!

So, does anybody knows the answer? I think I should just call the clinic myself! Never mind!

Thanks in advance.

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
I always thought you need DNA from both parents. Thats why there was the court involvement with anna nicole and her DNA in order to determine who is the father of her child (they would need hers AND his DNA)

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Perlanegra

Mirador is sure of a lot of things...anyway if I am not intruding too much can you expand as to why you are doing the DNA test?

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I was just wondering if anybody knew about the need of both parents for (MY) DNA; because my uncle mention this last night.

That simple!

So, does anybody knows the answer? I think I should just call the clinic myself! Never mind!

Thanks in advance.
Why would someone elses DNA be required for your DNA to be analyzed?

Are you trying to determine if both of your parents are your biological parents?
If so, they need a sample from the 3 of you, unless your parents are identical twins.:ermm:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004

Perla Negra, Sweetie!! Did you know that in many countries (including the UK) it is illegal to request DNA testing of siblings, parents, and offsprings, without a court order, for obvious reasons?

That simple,

Mirador

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
Mr. Hidalgo I know that I don't really have to go this far; but I'll do since I have nothing to hide and as said before; it has to do with me and not with my sibblings as happens most of the times in the Dominican way.

-I was given up for adoption when I was 2 months old.
-I met my supposed to be biological father @ 13 y/o
-Found out about lots of lies back then as why given away for adoption; diferent versions.
-Never saw him again until 2 years ago.
-There is another brother of mine who is 5 years younger than me that look the total opposite than me (he's very light skin and I'm darker; lighter eyes color, etc...)
-For some reason I really don't click with this people (my brother & father);meaning no feelings about them.
-I have kids on my own and will like to take them to the DR and will like to introduce them to their real family and not someone who's my mother decided to name my father; maybe because of his economic status or who knows why??
-I have been very confused all this years and I think am entitled to know if this is my biological father; so I can start treating him as what he is; so will my kids. He's very sick with diabetes;my grandmother from his side recently passed away and I'm scared that me been his only daughter out 4 sibblings won't be able to give him the love he deserves.
- My biological mother and I don't have any type of communication and my father is willing to do it; only if it is me and him and we don't want her involve.

I hope that by putting my personal life on the internet it has clear any confusions anybody had with my original question and can help me with real real issue of my post.

Sincerely

Perlanegra

-

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
if your doing DNA test,,,
its only purpose is either
1) to prove something in court (crime, alibi,, etc) or
2) to determine parental connection.

if #2, then how else would you compare your dna results if you don't have
your parents' results?

if #1, then you don't need ur parents'.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Mr. Hidalgo I know that I don't really have to go this far; but I'll do since I have nothing to hide and as said before; it has to do with me and not with my sibblings as happens most of the times in the Dominican way.

-I was given up for adoption when I was 2 months old.
-I met my supposed to be biological father @ 13 y/o
-Found out about lots of lies back then as why given away for adoption; diferent versions.
-Never saw him again until 2 years ago.
-There is another brother of mine who is 5 years younger than me that look the total opposite than me (he's very light skin and I'm darker; lighter eyes color, etc...)
-For some reason I really don't click with this people (my brother & father);meaning no feelings about them.
-I have kids on my own and will like to take them to the DR and will like to introduce them to their real family and not someone who's my mother decided to name my father; maybe because of his economic status or who knows why??
-I have been very confused all this years and I think am entitled to know if this is my biological father; so I can start treating him as what he is; so will my kids. He's very sick with diabetes;my grandmother from his side recently passed away and I'm scared that me been his only daughter out 4 sibblings won't be able to give him the love he deserves.
- My biological mother and I don't have any type of communication and my father is willing to do it; only if it is me and him and we don't want her involve.

I hope that by putting my personal life on the internet it has clear any confusions anybody had with my original question and can help me with real real issue of my post.

Sincerely

Perlanegra

-

Perlanegra, I sincerely suggest you first sort out your feelings regarding this matter with a counselor. What you propose could have serious emotional implications for other people, besides yourself....

Mirador

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
Thanks for the advice Mirador, I really apprecite it and believe me; because all I have been through with this situation I have gone to 2 different therapists and they both have had suggested a DNA test. It is all about the truth, acceptance and peace of mind.

Everyone involve in this situation are all grown ups; and if I'm doing this for my own traquility after so many years of disturbance; well I guess we will all have to deal with the consequences.

I grew up in a beautiful family and believe me a part of me really thanks God for putting me in the right hands; where I was provided with love, morality and foremost education. I have an extra large family on this side and a super duper x large family from my biological father's side and will love to be able to just call him papa; not because he was put there; but because of what he is: My real father. I also will like to be able to enjoy that x large side of my family as much as I love the one I grew up with; they are great people and if worst comes to worst I'll keep treating them as of now; but I'll have to continue looking for my roots.

Perlanegra

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Perlanegra

I thank you for you very personal response. You did not have to do it. Its a deeply embedded trait in human nature to know who your biological parents are. I am sure the lab will answer you question and I wish you the best in your endeavor.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Perlanegra, it is your truth, acceptance and peace of mind that you are trying to settle... However, in the process of looking for your roots, you may uproot those of others, with unpredictable consequences. Is it worth it!

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
Mirador: It's not only my truth, acceptance and peace of mind; but my father's as well. He has many deep reasons why to doubt of me being his daughter and I don't blame him. That's way people should be faithful to each other specially when kids involve; because sooner or later the truth will surface.

There is many people in the world that have been given a father for many circunstances; most of the times because of social status of the father or because of cheating; the father raises that child thinking it is his and at the end kabussss!!

Would you like to wake up one day and be told that the person who raised you is not your real father?

Then you turn around with many questions and the answers don't make any senses and you live your entire life wondering why??

Well, if other people like to live in denial; I don't.

and by the way; why are you judging me? and why do you care? Do you know if I need my mother's blood as well? That was the cause of my post; so!!

Any imput?

Perlanegra

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
Mr. Hidalgo I will call the lab in the DR and ask directly; so I don't have to get any deeper into this already long painful situation.

Thanks again for imput.

Moderator if you can please close this I wil appreciate it; I'm not going to answer any more questions; specially the judgmental not taking me anywhere ones.

Thanks in advance

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004

Would you like to wake up one day and be told that the person who raised you is not your real father?

Perlanegra, I don't really believe most people carry the issues you are concerned about, including myself. The person who raised you, the one you called father since early childhood, and still do, is your REAL father, don't matter where the semen that impregnated your mother came from... Unless you are fighting for inheritance rights, let sleeping dogs lie! You can potentially cause a lot of grief with your quest...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My buddy went for a DNA test at the request of his father, with the father getting old and not wanting to leave his money to someone who wasn't his offspring. My buddy was really ****ed, so he phoned his mom(parents divorced since he was 11) She laughed and said she had no doubt who the father was(him), but if the old fool wanted to waste his money, let him. My buddy had the test, his mother was not required to have the test, just my buddy and his dad, who, of course turned out to be his dad.
Based on this guy who may or may not be your biological parent and your connection to him, it seems like the most he may be is a sperm donor, but if you feel the need, do the test, but remember the feelings of your real family, the people that raised you. They are your real parents.

C

Chip00

Perlanegra

I thank you for you very personal response. You did not have to do it. Its a deeply embedded trait in human nature to know who your biological parents are. I am sure the lab will answer you question and I wish you the best in your endeavor.

I second that Perla - it appears you do not have unrealistic expectations but just to know the truth, whatever that may be.

suerte

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I second that Perla - it appears you do not have unrealistic expectations but just to know the truth, whatever that may be.

suerte

Perlanegra, I reiterate, what you are doing may be illegal. You have stated that yours is a personal quest, that is, to know the truth concerning your biological filial status. However, in order to obtain DNA from those persons you wish to compare yours with, you will have to obtain first their legal consent. Since you are a member of the family, you should discuss your concerns with the entire family, including children and adults...

cuas

May 29, 2006
My aunt had a DNA test in NJ for immigration purposes. My cousin had it SD. It was only my aunt and her daughter. My aunt did not have to travel but had to wait longer until it was processed in New Jersey and sent to SD to compare. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.