Relocating to DR, Need help!

newyorker3

May 29, 2007
I was born in the caribbean and am looking to relocate to DR. I would like to know what kind of educational system you have in DR. What is the average cost of school? Is there a public (free) school system? What is the medical/health care like?
I'm also looking into renting a furnished house or apartment is a safe community. Santo Domingo was were I was focusing my search because it is the capital. I do not speak spanish and I saw online that a gated community was the best bet to rent if you didn't know the language. I would be looking for work and would like to live close to an area with a mall/shopping center and/or school, Coastal? Can anyone help me? Thank you:glasses:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Help me clear my head on your posting

It's early in the morning , and I mean no offense, but help me out here to understand a couple of things:

1) How does one entertain a life change such as your decision to "I'm looking to move to the DR" without you knowing at least some of the answers to the most basic questions you asked?

2) Why are you even considering such a giant step?

3) Do you realize that at a minimum, if you took off a day from work and spent it in the "search" function of this board you could get an education that is probably worth about $1,000,765.56 ?

Good luck in whatever you do.
john

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Let him do .... I think it's not our business why somebody want to come to the DR, at one point we all made this decision for one reason or the other, so these posts won't answer his questions.

newyorker, the areas are depend on your budget, for example where I live it's about US$ 1,500 for a 3 bedroom furnished apartment.

Schools, since I have no kids I have no clue, sorry..... but there are good schools here.

newyorker3

May 29, 2007
Dear Johne;

Thank you for your opinion and concern. I came upon this site by accident as I was researching for my move. Yes, I did get educated and discovered many answers through my internet seach. However, there are some things that only people living there can help me with. Pictures and advertisements don't show the safety of a neighborhood and I thought this would help.

With great risks comes great rewards.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
After visiting the DR 3 times my wife and I decided to move here. We decide on Puerto Plate. I could also afford to retire here early, (54). We live in a mix community. We are American and English. I struggle with the English language while my wife speaks some French, Creole and little Spanish. Our neighborhood consists of Dominicans, Germans, New Yorkers, and Haitians. The kids play is the street and we have neighborhood cook outs. Why did we move here? Cause I could afford to retire early and mostly because of the weather. I don't have to shovel the weather here as I did at home. It is truly wonderful.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Live In Santo Domingo. I have 4 kids. I Own My Own House.

I am 60 years old.
It costs me well over 3000 US dollars a month to live here. A "Good" private school costs about 300 US a month,or more! "Public School"is not anywhere you want your kids near! My boys go to a Dominican Catholic school at about 50 US a month.It is only "Fair",but we "Study"at home,and one son goes to a tutor for 2 hours in the evening. The girls go to a "Pre-School" that is about 300 US each "Poor" quality medical insurance,cost about 1000 US a year,but is NOT full coverage by a long
Crime is rising daily!
I suggest anyplace else!
Cric Colon

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Criss or Cric;

I strongly suggest you move. Perhaps to POP. Cause it sounds like where you are is not very nice, based on your reply. We have a mixed neighborhood, from at least 4 different country's including the Republic of Dominican. It is truly a nice place.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
come on down! bring a small bag of money and a round trip ticket. in a month or two use the back half of the ticket to go back to NY and get another small bag of money. come on back down, relax, get a tan, hang out, get drunk, when sobered up go back to NY and get another small bag of money. i'm not trying to be funny. things have gotten so expensive here that this is what seems to be the practical way of living in paradise these days...........you may have to commute.............

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

Schools, since I have no kids I have no clue, sorry..... but there are good schools here.

So can you tell me where? A little confused re: "I have no clue" and "there are good schools here"
Thanks
john

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A Good American/English Language School,"College Prep" if you will.

In Santo Domingo will cost you 5 to 10 thousand a year! Have you got it now??
Jobs are scarse. They pay very little! $1000 US a month is a great job here!
Bring the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ like the guy said!
CRISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
COLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON