why is this country soo disorganized?

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
the government organization either underfunded or employee underpaid so bribes suplement income.
When a road is undercontruction such as by pontezuela, the autopista is also been work on go figure the detour is the old broken down Don Pedro which was not suitable horsedrawn carage.
Why not plan and public work, what a country, the blind leads the blind. Here in Santiago obras are plan half-ass, and disorder is look-upon as organization. To work on a road first fix the detour. Then conpletly closed the work area, or only work night when trafic is light why can public enployee work be better organized. The water pipes cut into roads, were they cut the black-top or tar, when the whole will fit a large truck let say a eighteen wheeeler they might fix it. co-ordination of work is something that has to be learned. We are in a mess due to public employee have no idea or training they need a seing eye dog to lead them thru- the-day -at -work. tapones o machutos do not work both are worthless. Let find capable people and place them in this city. I know there has to be some well-educated-Dominican hidding somewhere out there.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
very organized

organized corruption often gives the appearance of disorganization

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Mariaobetsanov,

You are just letting off steam, you don't really expect to get a straight answer?, like in a science class, where you can raise your hand, stand up, and ask the professor, "Please, Mr. Maloney, can you go over again Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, especially the part on the DeBroglie hypotheis and how it relates to the wave-particle duality in quantum mechanics?"

We wish people and societies would be as straightforward as science. It isen't, it will never be. There's no rational way to make sense of us humans, we are not really rational. We are an inextricable knotted tangle of contradictions, absurdities, and impossibilities. We can't change that. We thrive in it, like pigs wallow in the mud...

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Llego EL VERDUGO!!!!...

Mariaobetsanov,

You are just letting off steam, you don't really expect to get a straight answer?, like in a science class, where you can raise your hand, stand up, and ask the professor, "Please, Mr. Maloney, can you go over again Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, especially the part on the DeBroglie hypotheis and how it relates to the wave-particle duality in quantum mechanics?"

We wish people and societies would be as straightforward as science. It isen't, it will never be. There's no rational way to make sense of us humans, we are not really rational. We are an inextricable knotted tangle of contradictions, absurdities, and impossibilities. We can't change that. We thrive in it, like pigs wallow in the mud...
All that and....

Pretty simple:

If you want "things" to be done the way it's done in your country, why go to a third world country?.

"Things" WILL NOT change. It may get a little better but after a while, BOOM, back to the way it was again.

When a person relocated to the DR, they have to choices:

1- Adapt to the country or 2- pack your bags and leave.

"The DR will NOT adapt to you, you have to adapt to the DR. If you don't, you WILL live a misearable life while life in the DR WILL go on, PROBLEMS AND ALL!!".

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
What is up with this "third world country" term... why not use developing nation. I think it describes the state of affairs much better than tird world. Every time I see the phrase I feel like saying Beam me up Scottie.

There is nothing wrong with the OP letting out some steam. I personally can not live in DR because there is NO order and no one wants to do anything about it. When you make a coment everybody is like well... you cant change it everybody does it. I think if people just started to take responsability for their actions many things can change... but noooo.

C

Chip00

There is no accountability here - it's that simple.

Politics are set up to encourage blind loyalty with the reward of being handsomely paid. The politicians know they have four years to get what they believe they "deserve" to be set for life and therefore are little concerned with their constituents desires.

Until normal Dominicans realize that they more than likely will never win the "lottery"(ie get a gov't job), things will not change much. Not only that, for the ones who think they will never win the lottery but are content with the current situation, well they get what they deserve too.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Mariaobetsanov, are you Dominican? Your post makes me think that you are. If you are, then posts suggesting you leave are irrelevant and in poor taste.

If I were a Dominican, I would be asking the same questions. I know many are as frustrated with what they see going on as you are, polls show that the majority of the Dominicans want an end to corruption, more efficiency in government, better electrical service, etc. But more need to speak up and demand change. At present, there is more reason for a political figure to go with the flow than to swim against the tide.

Like you, I believe there are well educated Dominicans who have what it takes to lead the country, to take a firm stand against corruption and punish the corrupt, and in other ways expect performance from those in public positions at the various levels. Some of the business leaders who have spoken out on Family Health and some other recent issues sound like good possibilities. But with the 3 major parties so well organized and entrenched, it would be very hard for any of them to say what really needs to be done and to get the party nomination.

What I would like to see is a group of young professionals decide that something had to be done to move the country in a different direction and invest whatever number of years it will take to build an organization, get their message across, and attract the support they will need to either win an election or frighten one of the present major parties into making the reforms the dissidents are demanding.

C

Chip00

Mariaobetsanov, are you Dominican? Your post makes me think that you are. If you are, then posts suggesting you leave are irrelevant and in poor taste.

If I were a Dominican, I would be asking the same questions. I know many are as frustrated with what they see going on as you are, polls show that the majority of the Dominicans want an end to corruption, more efficiency in government, better electrical service, etc. But more need to speak up and demand change. At present, there is more reason for a political figure to go with the flow than to swim against the tide.

Like you, I believe there are well educated Dominicans who have what it takes to lead the country, to take a firm stand against corruption and punish the corrupt, and in other ways expect performance from those in public positions at the various levels. Some of the business leaders who have spoken out on Family Health and some other recent issues sound like good possibilities. But with the 3 major parties so well organized and entrenched, it would be very hard for any of them to say what really needs to be done and to get the party nomination.

What I would like to see is a group of young professionals decide that something had to be done to move the country in a different direction and invest whatever number of years it will take to build an organization, get their message across, and attract the support they will need to either win an election or frighten one of the present major parties into making the reforms the dissidents are demanding.

Good points Ken. The only thing I will add is that they need to change the system at some point - sooner rather than later to see real change.

Dominicans are no better or worse that Americans - what we have is a system of checks and balances which creates a constituency that expects accountablity and transparency.

None of that is part of the Dominican system - so inspite of people's good will as long as they keep a system in place that allows the politicians and their appointees to rob the government during their term nothing will change. Think of how much money is being lost when many politicians here make more than US Congessman and yet are all but inaccesible to the general public.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Por si acaso es......

Where does she say she isn't Dominican?
If she is, then she should know what to expect from the Government. All those ladrones are the same.

Btw: In Villa Duarte, on Calle 3 to be exact, there a "hole" that needs to be fixed, AGAIN. It seems that every time it rains, it gets bigger and bigger.

Some day they will "fix it" right.

I have hope, they have been "fixing it" for the last 40 years!!.

Dandman

May 17, 2004
Dandman

We know that this is not a highly developed country when we come here. If you are as angry as you seem, it might be good for your health to move. Yes, there are frustrations here but I love it................

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The Impossible Dream: First World organization, systems and efficiencies at a Third World price.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Third World prices?

Someone described the situation in the DR as "Swiss taxes for Nigerian services" which may be an exaggeration - but many of our expenses are not what you can call "third world".

Gasoline is more expensive than it is in the US (although still cheaper than in Europe). Cars are more expensive. The supermarket shopping bill is equivalent. Phone bills and electricity charges are higher. Taxes are high. So what, apart from wages - which is great for wealthy employers but compounds the problem for middle class wage earners - is cheaper?

Mods, I realise this is a hijack so if people want to go off on a tangent please split this off.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Ken, thank you. I do not speak as well as you. My ex-wife divorced me after 12 years of marriage because I wanted to live in the D.R. Her response to my decision I live in American I am not going back to the jungle. Broke my heart. Truly loved my wife. I told her enter the political ring and work to make those changes. Her response honey they would kill me they don't want to change.

Sep 19, 2005

well from what little I have been able to see of Dominicans trying to make a stand and fight corruption.......they get killed for their efforts......and their reward essentially is less income if they succeed......risk death for trying to make thing better so you can enjoy a poorer lifestyle...or shut up and get what you can.

its a tough cycle to break Ken.

you know the people making the roads know how to make them... they know how to go about it....why they dont????because there isnt enough money to do it right and pay everyone off.....and then all the people that THINK they should get paid off, that werent in the original plan to get paid off, cause more issues.

Then there is just the fact that in the dominican mind they will do it their way hell or high water...like all the DOMINICANS that try to GO AROUND a traffic congestion.....going up on the curbs and blocking the road 5 or 6 cars wide on on side!!!!!!!!!! because they are dominican and they dont want to wait...

they just dont care that a little patience lets the congestion ease....and EVERYONE is happy afterwards....no way in hades....they got to go and they are going now...so they drive where ever they think they can fit in ...and it makes the traffic issue 100 times worse!!!!!!!

AND they will do it EVERY TIME they get a chance!!!!!!!! how are you going to solve real life issues with a huge number of people who think like that???

You need a huge stomper in the sky... and when that happens, the stomper just smashes the car into the ground.....problem solved....one less idiot tommorrow as well.....there is no other solution.......

those people will drive over top of a seriously injured person laying in the road, because they are somebody and WANT to get by now!!

its a shame.......

bob