Legal Volunteer Opportunities?

curiosita

Jun 4, 2007
I will be spending about 5/6 months in the Dominican Republic starting in July, and I was wondering if anyone knows of are any legal/human rights/immigration/etc. type volunteer activities available?

I am a lawyer admitted to practice in the US, with Spanish proficiency, extensive academic experience in international law, practice experience in international securities and immigration, and familiarity with civil law systems. And, I have had difficulty locating NGOs/nonprofits with any sort of legal bent or expressing legal needs.

(Note: I realize that I cannot practice in DR, but hope to be of use to some organization.)

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
You might want to investigate CEDAIL. It is associated with the Catholic Church and they do a great deal of work with helping people to obtain c?dulas - especially those who were not declared by their fathers at birth.

There is also a type of legal assistance available in Santo Domingo. It is run by the Jesuits and it helps those seeking legal residency to obtain it. I know of a gentleman who came here - from Rwanda via Haiti - who obtained residencia with their help.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
United Nations

Might try UN-INSTRAW which is the United Nations International Research and Training Institute for the Advancement of Women. Located at Cesar Nicolas Penson 102A. Tel 1 809 685 2111. Don't know if this a volunteer position as the woman I met was there on a fellowship from Korea.
JOHN

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
La Profe probably means the Jesuit Refugee Service/Servicio Jesuita de Refugiados who are based in Centro Bon? on Calle Josefa Brea, nr the intersection with Ave. 27 de Febrero. Tel. 809 688 1646
They would also know of other organisations that could use the services of a volunteer.

Check this site - it's not comprehensive but it might give you some leads.