What are weekends like in Santo Domingo?

Renwaa

Jun 5, 2007
Hi all:

Am curious. What are the weekends in the big city like? Are stores open? Is Sunday considered a big family day so streets are empty?

I ask because here in Panama (where I currently live), Saturday is busy minus the rush hour traffic, but stores open and city is lively. Come Sunday, something odd happens (which I personally love) which is NO ONE (except the ex-pats, seriously) is out until about 3pm and yet the stores are all open as normal. It makes for great city exploring and a really nice uncrowded day.

Sundays for native Panamanians, mean church and being at home with family, but come out late afternoon for walks/ice cream and the traffic picks up again.

It's my favorite day of the week because of the ease to get around without the crazy traffic. I was just wondering if this is something common in the Latin countries or just perhaps a Panamanian thing.

Thanks.

Feb 7, 2007
I don't live in SDQ, but my reply can be generalized to the whole DR.

It is roughly the same here.

Sunday mornings are quiet, not much traffic.

Sunday afternoons - from about 1pm - traffic picks up, people go out, go enjoy the afternoon and go drinking. Sunday early evening hours - you can see a lot of people in the parks, plazas, and other gathering areas drinking and enjoying themselves.

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
For me its just the best,at least half the traffic,and people,large superstores always open and busy sat y sun ,traffic gets busy 6pm sunday on main routes ave 27y malicon ,generally people chilling out at home,

shinysam

Apr 1, 2007
Be careful, a lot of stores are closed on sunday (eg. 99% of conde street, all mercado modelo, malls, ...) but sunday is not a day off in DR, it is a day to go to disco as saturday.

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
Mas Relajado

The dominican people appear to me ,to be more relaxed,less stressed,sat y sun,probably the brugal/presedente taking effect ,the malicon is now less busy,on sunday ,probably due to the tax increase on beer ,and changes made last year.:bunny:

Renwaa

Jun 5, 2007
For me its just the best,at least half the traffic,and people,large superstores always open and busy sat y sun ,traffic gets busy 6pm sunday on main routes ave 27y malicon ,generally people chilling out at home,

What is considered a superstore? Are they similar to, lets say, Pricesmart?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is a Pricesmart, a Carrefour and the local supermarket chains including Nacional, Bravo and La Cadena, as well as La Sirena which incorporates a supermarket (Pola) but is also a large department store, other department stores called Plaza Lama and Ferreteria Americana, as well as several giant malls.

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
Roughly speaking,you can buy almost most goods on a sat y sun in santo domingo,but you may have to travel a little further than normal if say one or two outlets are closed.Someone always knows where to get what ever you want, whatever time you want it here,which is what i like about st domingo,say compared with bavaro,or smaller towns .

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
Roughly speaking,you can buy almost most goods on a sat y sun in santo domingo,but you may have to travel a little further than normal if say one or two outlets are closed.Someone always knows where to get what ever you want, whatever time you want it here,which is what i like about st domingo,say compared with bavaro,or smaller towns .:bunny: