Omega song

Roo

Dec 3, 2006
There's a merengue that's super-popular in the DR right now by Omega y Su Mambo Violento. I'm looking for the name, I wasn't able to get it on CD before I left. some lyrics: "No te quiero soltar, cada dia te quiero mas". Astoundingly fast.

Anyone got the name? Link/download? Thx!!

Roo

Dec 3, 2006
I do like the Esta Noche de Travesura and also another song that's popular "Me Persiguen Los Mamberos". But this is actually the song I was looking for:

http://www.todomusicaonline.com/Musica/Omega Y Su Mambo Violento - De Que No Hay Manera.mp3

It's called "De Que No Hay Manera (Tu Mirada)". Your suggestions got me looking again myself, so thank you!

Any thoughts on web radios or anything or top 10 lists or anything where I can look for another merengue that I like (and is quite popular right now)? I can't remember any of the words for the life of me, the melody just enters my head every once in a while.

Thanks again.

engels64

Feb 27, 2007
You call this merengue!!!

This type of music should not even be considered merengue. They should come up with a different name for "merengues callejeros" so that they don't even get associated with the true merengue.

:rolleyes:

Roo

Dec 3, 2006
Hahaha. I should have clarified perhaps that this was definitely not merengue tipico (but none of Omega's music is).

Thanks for the links, Renato. I'm already listening to those live365 stations, but that top 10 list is helpful.

Any ideas on where is best to download this kind of music, while I'm at it?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
this should not even be considered music, let alone merengue, this is noise........it is difficult and time consuming to learn to play a musical instrument and i quess in todays culture of "i want mine now without working for it" we are fed this noise................passed off as music.........and if we call it noise, we are told that we don't understand music, the culture, youth, african roots,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"bullsh!t".................and if you like this junk then you are the one that doesn't know squat about "music".............

Mar 5, 2009
roo:did you ever find that song you were looking for?i just visited dominican last week at punta cana resort and they played that song from omega a lot that it got stuck in my head.but i never found out the title of that song.do you know it?

Roo

Dec 3, 2006
It's called "De Que No Hay Manera (Tu Mirada)".

Hope you had a great time!

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
this should not even be considered music, let alone merengue, this is noise........it is difficult and time consuming to learn to play a musical instrument and i quess in todays culture of "i want mine now without working for it" we are fed this noise................passed off as music.........and if we call it noise, we are told that we don't understand music, the culture, youth, african roots,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"bullsh!t".................and if you like this junk then you are the one that doesn't know squat about "music".............

I am with you brother.
My grand parents had the same beef with my parents.
My parents said the same of me.
Kids today? What do they know about music.
I cannot wait until they have kids of their own so they can carry on this important tradition.

Having said that, a part of making music for me was to pxxs my parents generation off.

But we all like Bach right?

Last edited:

p3arliaga

Dec 13, 2008
so do you consider Aventura's music real bachata? Check out the group "Marcy Place," they're supposed to be "los nuevos lideres de la bachata urbana." Do you consider them real bachata?

And what do african roots have to do with merengue de la calle supposedly not being real merengue?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm no musician but I have to admit Omega's songs are quite pegao'. For me it least it has a nice sound and rythym, as opposed to most of the reggaeton or rap. As far as merengue, I'm a fan but sometimes you get tired of hearing the same exact melodies in song after song, modified and mixed to sound slightly different.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
"They should come up with a different name for "merengues callejeros" so that they don't even get associated with the true merengue."

"Omega, el Fuerte, de Santo Domingo, quien conquisto Europa y Estados Unidos.....oooohhhh,oooohhh, oooohhhhh"

Omega's not true Merengue, that's for sure. He doesn't claim to be though either. He doesn't really fit into a box like most Dominican artists. Is he Merengue, Mambo, Rap, who knows? Like it or not he's the hottest thing in DR music though. I was at the beach Sunday in Boca Chica and they played his song 4 times in a row, then a different tune, then his song 3 times in a row again! Everyone got up and danced and shouted along to "OMEGA, EL FUERTE, DE SAN-TO DOMINGO".

The song is actually calling out the true Merengueros who apparently criticize him behind his back "Un grupo de ignorantes" but lack the guts to say it to his face "Pero de frente, no son tan hombre".

He then mentions that it amuses him when those jealous Merengueros who "Ni tienen un cancion buena" try to insult him by calling him street Merengue "Cuando me llaman Merenguero de Callllllllllllle.....yeeaaah, yeaaaah, yeaaaah, yeaaaaaah".

dondada

Aug 20, 2008
New Orleans - Louisiana
Is there any place I can find a schedule of Omega Y Su Mambo Violento concerts? I went to two MySpace pages but none listed a concert schedule. I?ll be in Santo Domingo July or August and trying to schedule my trip around see him perform. I know he performs in the US also but no luck on that either.

Thanks

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I was critical of this music when it first came out. As unorthodox as it sounds, he is making it work. He is the hottest thing out there.

Many of the clubs are playing his music; the same clubs that two years ago would not even dare do so!

I was at MOMA in santiago two weeks ago. I was hanging around in a VIP area and I notice people taking pictures with some guy. I asked one the guys that works there who he was and they mentioned it was Omega.

I went up to the guy and chatted for a few minutes. He was actually not full of himself.

Try listening to his song " tu no ta pa mi" a few times and see if you don't start getting hooked on it. It's is something different and serves a a breath of fresh air to what is or was currently playing.

Some will say the same about Tito Swing and his Cafe song